Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...
   All Posts (Kalamatee)


(1) 2 3 4 ... 220 »


No Account
Re: Goodbye and thanks for the support
Guest_No Account
Quote:

freeaks wrote:
@Kalamatee

don't you understand that anywhere you go and whatever you try to do there would always be some naysayers showing up at some point ?
it's inevitable.
if you choose to listen to them and give up you will never be able to finish anything meaningful.
sometimes it may even come from important persons that really mean something to you personally, like family and friends.
that's how you measure the importance of your commitment to your project and the importance of your project in itself. how people react and if they react at all.


Theres a difference between naysayers, which I have had to endure for as long as I have contributed to AROS - to people who make slanderous accusations.

Quote:

now, this will sound a bit harsh but that reminds me of hyperion dudes who where crying because there was some meanies in the amiga community were speaking bad about them.

you do what you do because you like doing it. there will be people that will like you and others that will dislike you. that's life. i would recommend you listen to the constructive ones and not to the drag down forces.


There comes a point where it is no longer enjoyable developing/contributing massive amounts of time and effort, to have it cast into doubt to appease someone else's ego. I have 3 young children that are far more deserving of my time.

Posted on: 6/17 1:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Core i9 Development Hardware for kalamatee paid from the AROS Fund!
Guest_No Account
Quote:

cdimauro wrote:
Quote:

terminills wrote:
Quote:

cdimauro wrote:
@AROS-Confidence1: No, that's not all the true story. Read all messages that were written from the beginning.

@Kalamatee: pathetic is the one which tried to cheat people, picking from their wallets for getting a new toy.

My technical questions are still waiting for technical answers/facts. Which you clearly don't want to give, and now you're trying to change the cards on the table in a childish way.


I have one question for you. What have you actually contributed to AROS or its community?

This is NOT relevant to the topic, and they are two combined logical fallacies.

1) you're trying to change the topic. Here's the topic:
Quote:
I need a high end core i7 though because of features that are in the chip that aren't in AMD chips (that massively help with debugging, particularly something as complex as the interactions that occur under smp) and because of the performance requirements needed to run multiple virtual machines/builds (we are talking 15+ builds of AROS at any one time to put it into context).

In bold the defined requirements, which are (should be. IN THEORY, since it's clearly shown that the real goal was a different one) the kernel of the discussion.


A> That is not a logical fallacy.
B> You've shown no such thing.

Quote:

2) you're invoking the so called "principle of authority". So, only someone which has contributed to AROS can speak about the topic. Which is clearly not true.

Quote:

AROS-Confidence1 wrote:
@cdimauro

The only one who is cheating is you.. you are offending kalamatee for no reason.

See above, and the previous messages.

There were requirements that had to be satisfied. But the real goal was another one.
Quote:
what are you even putting your cock into this, if you haven't got anything constructive to say!

First, I've already written TECHNICAL things about what was supposed to be the topic. If you have something to say about them, then go ahead, and you can also answer my TECHNICAL questions which are currently lacking a (TECHNICAL) answer (guess why...), right?


You've posted a semi-technical diatribe (which could've just been copied from the wiki for the lack of substance it provides) to try and undermine
why I require suitable hardware, after someone already offered to provide the components I require, and ignored that I'm not interested in your opinion on why I need those components.

I have no need to go into technicalities of how or why I would use those extensions to appease your ego, regardless of how authoritative you feel on the subject.

Quote:

Second, you're insulting with bad words, which is typical of people which is lacking arguments on a discussion.

Nothing new here.

Quote:

terminills wrote:
Quote:

AROS-Confidence1 wrote:
@cdimauro

The only one who is cheating is you.. you are offending kalamatee for no reason. what are you even putting your cock into this, if you haven't got anything constructive to say!

Wouldn’t the correct offensive term be “cock holster”? :)

Same as above. No arguments -> insulting.


No, it is you that uses the "principle of authority", to try and claim that I didn't intend to use SGX (which _you_ have fixated on, not me - I explained it was ONE of the technologies/extensions that I intended to use to debug issues/continue developing AROS and specifically the SMP branch, that aren't available on AMD).

YOU claim I said it was a debugging extension, which anyone reading the thread can see is just not true, I said I would like to use it to help debugging - but twisting words is the best you can do here to justify your authoritative/arrogant stance. You have also tried to claim I need extensions to run the VM's which just isn't true, and only the performance/capacity to run the multiple VM's/builds that my previous system was capable of was indicated. Other people who do develop AROS, understand those requirements - but for you apparently it proves that I am somehow deceiving people.

Worse, you use your dishonest and unwarranted input to imply I am trying to dupe people into buying some kind of expensive toy, that would not serve to fulfil the requirements I have - and that I have some ulterior motive.

Quote:

Ridiculous.

I want to remind you that it was NOT me that put on the table the requirements for a PC. And which became harsh on the discussion which was then originated (no, not only with me: look at the previous messages).


Its cute that you have edited your original post to change the wording, but it doesn't change the fact you are dishonest/arrogant and over opinionated. I hope you actually do something for the AROS community other than talk shit on the forums.

Posted on: 6/17 1:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Goodbye and thanks for the support
Guest_No Account
No sorry - I'm tired of the pathetic, defamatory attempts by some people to discredit my contributions to AROS, or suggest I do not really a> have specific hardware requirements to continue with work I have contributed/b> know what I am talking about. No doubt I don't really have a broken raid array housing my data or have aged and failing hardware that needs replaced either - so I am done with this idiocy.

Take care,
Nick
aka Kalamatee.

Posted on: 6/16 16:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Goodbye and thanks for the support
Guest_No Account
Well, due to the stupidity shown by some people on this forum particularly, I have decided I will no longer be wasting my time contributing to AROS.

Apparently replacing my broken hardware with suitable components to continue developing is "cheating people out of their money" - and since I cant afford to replace them myself, I see no point in trying to continue with what has been an expensive and time consuming hobby.

For those who have shown me genuine support over the years - I thank you and wish you the best in the future. I will be posting a similar message to Patreon in due course, and eventually removing the page.

Take care,
Kalamatee.

Posted on: 6/16 16:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Core i9 Development Hardware for kalamatee paid from the AROS Fund!
Guest_No Account
Gl guys I’m done with this nonsense - pascal you might aswell put your money into cdimauro who clearly knows bettter than me how to continue with the work I’ve done on aros.

Pathetic.

Posted on: 6/16 15:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Core i9 Development Hardware for kalamatee paid from the AROS Fund!
Guest_No Account
That’s a great story. Well have fun doing the work because I’m really not interested in compromising my needs based on others opinions. People asked what I need to continue - i told them (period).

It’s not something up for discussion, so yes it gets tiring everytime someone tries to say what I need. Clearly you are better informed about what I actually need to continue development, just like all the other experts on the subject on here. I’m happy to return to watching AROS go nowhere, the same as it has for the past year that I’ve been out of action.

Don’t want to see it change - don’t help. It matters not to me.

Posted on: 6/16 15:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Odyssey web browser future
Guest_No Account
If you don't debug it and try to identify what is at fault - just claiming it might be this or that looks silly.

Perform proper tests and add comments/debug to the code to see what is going on and try to understand why.

Speculating without really looking into it a> gives people the wrong idea and b> makes you look like you don't know what you are actually talking about.

It isn't helpful.

Posted on: 6/16 7:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Core i9 Development Hardware for kalamatee paid from the AROS Fund!
Guest_No Account
Quote:

cdimauro wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
Quote:

paolone wrote:

I wonder what "hardware features needed for debugging code" are perentorily missing from these new little beasts by AMD (that's a question, not a criticysm, so please tell me and I'll try at least to ask someone at AMD).


Things like SGX, which make it easy to spot erroneous code.

SGX is not a debugging feature (it HAS debugging capabilities, but for its main purpose), but it's for software protection (creating the so called "secure enclave").
Quote:
If you want a comprehensive list of all the features Im afraid I cannot do that offhand - suffice to say they are only intel extensions that michal and myself had discussed using in the past to help us develop the SMP code

I think that you're talking about Intel's MPX, which is certainly a very good solution for catching bugs like bad memory accesses, or the more nasty "use-after-free/delete".

Even having only this feature certainly deserve every single penny, because it's a HUGE help for developers, and especially with very fragile o.ses like Amiga-like ones.

However it requires support by the compiler and libc, because it generates special instructions to check pointer binaries. I don't know which GCC version implements MPX support, but AROS's "libc" also needs to be changed.

Another hardware feature that can help debugging is Intel's Processor Trace, which allows to track instructions execution, and so to re-create a complete, exact status of processor history. Unfortunately this generates TONs of data and requires software that ad-hoc filters such massive amount of information.
Quote:
(and they only exist in relatively new cpus, so around 8th generation)

No, Intel's CPUs from 6th to 8th are exactly the same: same core, and same features. Only the so called "uncore" is a bit different.

So, you can already find the above technologies (SGX too) starting from Skylake.

However doesn't make sense to buy a Skylake today, with CoffeLake which can reach higher frequencies and so better performances. This is absolutely important with many single process/thread code, which is the vast majority, especially in the Amiga land.


The point is not to specify specific extensions, or to identify when they where first introduced - but to explain that SGX and other extensions we wanted to use (regardless of what other things the wiki says they are used for) aren't available on other architectures, and to specify a suitable CPU for my needs.

Yes, MPX is also something we want to try and take advantage of (and was one of the first sets of extensions michal and I discussed), but dragging out this discussion for everyone's opinion on what I need is getting silly and confusing people who don't have a clue.

Ive said what I need to continue working effectively on things, and why - its that simple. If people want to waste my time with pointless discussions on why they think I need to use different architectures, or what they think extensions and such are for we get nowhere.

Quote:

Regarding AMD, I don't know if the latest Ryzen CPUs support any those features. AMD has some security technology which rivals with Intel's SGX, but I've no information about providing debugging features like Intel's MPX and/or Processor Trace.

Posted on: 6/16 7:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Odyssey web browser future
Guest_No Account
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
wawa: thx again for your work on odyssey.

I have not tested much yet but gmail I can not log into but yahoo mail worked :)
Just a notice is that the first version is faster than the last one where you enabled some debug.

What I have done before is to include a more recent version of ca-boundle.crl


AROS should already include an upto date ca-bundle.crt in ENV:SYS/Certificates, that OpenSSL and Curl are configured to use.

It works to access https://www.google.co.uk, so probably gmail needs the browser to spoof another client.

Quote:

that is just to replace with the older one and make odyssey download aros night builds. If not updated you can not download from sourceforge.

I be back with more.

edit: Just a little note for those that might not know it javascript jit engine is disabled in odyssey icon tooltype by default. Enable it and javascript will be faster.

I don't know if there are other options when you compile odyssey to enable mmx, SSE or simelar.

edit:

Whoow Facebook works now :D

Posted on: 6/15 14:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable
Guest_No Account
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
I also have no problem whatsoever with changing my host to some other flavour if at the end of the day I determine that to be the issue. I'd prefer to put some work in rather than go to older versions and I have to say I prefer to stay away from Centos, purely because we used it for years in production and it gave me a lot of headaches, but that was for reasons that have no bearing here and were mostly Microsoft's doing.


It can certainly be a double edged sword, since things like smb aren't up to date, and therefore can cause problems in windows domains and such - and as you said it doesn't force you to adapt to changes in the newer Linux environments (such as using gcc 7 to compile host code), but for me its easy to quickly get an environment up and running to develop AROS under.

Posted on: 6/13 9:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer



 Top
(1) 2 3 4 ... 220 »




Search
Top Posters
1 paolone
paolone
4434
2 magorium
magorium
4095
3 nikolaos
nikolaos
4028
4 phoenixkonsole
phoenixkonsole
3929
5 deadwood
deadwood
2917
6 ncafferkey
ncafferkey
2796
7 mazze
mazze
2221
8 clusteruk
clusteruk
2112
9 damocles
damocles
1789
10 BSzili
BSzili
1513
© 2004-2018 AROS Exec