Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

elwis, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Icaros Desktop MultiView

From California, United States
Group:
In recent days while writing an icon program on Icaros Desktop I have noticed a few things. MultiView has no problem opening and displaying PNG images, but it only displays IFF-ILBM images! It won't save them as IFF-ILBM. And if I open the same IFF and try to save as something else it still is greyed out in the menu...can't save IFF!

Perhaps it is related to SDL Image which has full functionality to Open IFF-ILBM but it doesn't allow saving those same images. I wrote my own SAVE AS IFF-ILBM functions for my IFF Icon Edit program including Bitwise operations for Chunky to Planar and Planar to Chunky. That was lots of fun!

So why does MultiView refuse to save IFF-ILBM that is supposed to be Amiga standard image format. If we are being true to Amiga roots, why can't we save...Just wondering if I can help with that?? After I finish my Icon2PNG program in the next few days maybe I can look into the MultiView issue with IFF files.

Any ideas as to why MultiView can't save IFF-ILBM? Something missing in the program? Is it an incomplete DataType, or faulty DataTypes system error?

Posted on: 5/16 12:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Icaros Desktop MultiView

Group:
In the AROS datatype system DTM_Write is still missing. And since multiview is using the datatype system it can not save atm.

See in this link

Posted on: 5/16 12:48

Group:
Thanks. That helps to narrow down the problem.

I'm not yet fully familiar with DataTypes so I'll ask some questions so that I understand the problem. "DTM_Write" functionality is missing? Does that mean the entire DataTypes System is incomplete or just IFF-ILBM Picture DataType? If it's just IFF-ILBM maybe I can help to fix that since I have already done that at a binary level.

Posted on: 5/16 13:08

Group:
Thanks aha

@miker:
The discussion started recently (again) with this thread where paolone asked the same question you did

Eventually that leads to this link, which might explain a few things when reading.

Somewhere in our icon discussion, i also posted a link that explains the amiga datatypes system.

In basics, and laymen terms, it consist of a few libraries that exposes a couple of methods to load and save f.e. pictures of a certain type. Internally there is a 'common' storage method of the pixels that is used by the picture datatype, and so each 'library' that can handle it's own type is able to 'convert' this common storage method into a specific format or load to this specific format.

The datatypes system itself exposes methods for the developer/user that allows for easy loading and saving by just calling some functions.

So, as long (and in theory) as there are 'libraries' that support a certain file-type (in this case pictures) you can very simply convert from one picture format to another picture format.

But, for that to be possible certain datatype-'actions' need to be supported/implemented and currently this is not the case (see also the link i posted to trac).

As user Mazze already mentioned, in the thread i linked to: "it is on the todo list"

Although i am not 100% sure, the graphics subsystem overhaul might have something to do with the delay.

Posted on: 5/16 15:23

Group:
@Miker

Nothing stops you from completing the iff datatype adding the missing functions (providing you've written your own code and you agree to release it under the terms of the APL license, of course). =)

Posted on: 5/16 23:17

Group:
@Miker

I would like to see both for Aros, your Icon program and a fully working Multiview.

Posted on: 5/17 4:18

Group:
Of course, paolone, everything I do for AROS is APL. I'm planning two Full Featured icon programs PNG Icon Edit and PNG Icon Paint. As far as Multiview I looked at DataTypes Library. DTM-Write is "NOT YET IMPLEMENTED" as aha and origami have graciously pointed out. Maybe I could write a small program to allow writing IFF ILBM images and we link it to Multiview till the DataTypes Write functions are operational. But I believe in "Build it and Somone will find a Use". So I'll write the IFF ILBM program and we can decide then.

Here is the temporary workaround concept: Use a standalone executable called "SaveAsIFF" for simplicity that accepts as input IFF or PNG and as output IFF. And a second one called "SaveAsPNG" that accepts IFF as input. MultiView would call the executables with input (original filename) and the output (selected filename). Then using that code maybe then we could focus on fixing the DTM_Write for IFF so that MultiView and other programs will work correctly. It may take a week or two to finish and test both programs.

I have started SaveAsIFF and I will use it to "LOAD" and "SAVE" an IFF image. I will try to do the same with SaveAsPNG for PNG images. I opened a PNG image with MultiView then saved it. But it only saved the "Mask" with no image. Not sure if there is a problem with PNG.datatype.

After examining MultiView and some datatypes such as BMP, PNG, and ILBM it might be better to set up a test program and revise the datatype(s) to Load, Display, and Save images. That might take about three or four weeks. Having used C# for the last ten years I'm still learning some aspects of C programming, which is slightly different and in many ways better!

Posted on: 5/17 7:20

Edited by miker on 2017/5/17 12:21:53
Edited by miker on 2017/5/17 12:24:03
Edited by miker on 2017/5/18 12:08:23
Edited by miker on 2017/5/18 12:12:31
Edited by miker on 2017/5/18 12:13:16
Edited by miker on 2017/5/18 12:17:36

Group:
Keep up the good work, so!

I'll be very happy to use them within my scripts too, when necessary.

Posted on: 5/18 0:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Search