Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

OlafS3, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
5/29 10:12
From England
Group:
Member
Posts: 60
Offline
Well my system is fairly beefy. Not i9 beefy because it's 2.5 years old now but it's stil i7 6700 with GTX1080 and 32GB of RAM so there is no problem with me installing a bunch of VMs to go back and see if it is an issue related to more modern versions of things on the host.

Well, I say there is no problem, drive space is tight because my Linux partition was never really an intended permanent feature so it's just on an old 120GB SSD that I had kicking about and it's surprising how quickly that will get eaten up when playing with VMs. I'm sure I have a USB drive here with plenty of space.

IMO, and it is only my opinion there would be high value in increasing compatibility with newer systems for what is there now, IF that's what the issue is before worrying too much about SMP or other new features (also ABIv1 i guess).

I'm not talking about new hardware for native (although that would obviously be nice!) I mean compatibility with newer host environments to reduce the (perceived?) barrier to participation.

But like I say, that's purely my opinion and I've only been looking at a very high level for a couple of weeks.

Posted on: 6/13 3:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
2010/8/30 7:20
Group:
Member
Posts: 1194
Offline
Quote:

MartinW wrote:

installing a bunch of VMs


you welcome;)

Quote:

to go back and see if it is an issue related to more modern versions of things on the host.


i actually dont think this should matter. ao apart of icaros have you tried the 64 bit nightlies and do they expose the same behaviour?

Quote:
surprising how quickly that will get eaten up


you bet;)

Quote:

I'm sure I have a USB drive here with plenty of space.


an usb pen may seriously limit your performance under vm i fear. and it might matter playing around with building aros. just imo.

Quote:
I mean compatibility with newer host environments to reduce the (perceived?) barrier to participation.


might be good id someone looked into it. i personally have not been severely limited by that so far but im just conservatively using the same old environments to test hosted, so im probably less affected than a regular newcomer would be today.

Posted on: 6/13 6:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
5/29 10:12
From England
Group:
Member
Posts: 60
Offline
Yes, I've tried Icaros latest and my version built direct from the source, updated as of a few days ago when Kalamatee asked about timing it. That version is ABI_V1 x86_64 running on 64bit host, obviously Icaros is ABI_v0 32 bit running on 64bit host.

I have enough room to compile for multiple targets without resorting to VMs on USB drives so performance isn't an issue. It's testing different linux host environments that I would need to use VMs for which I would then just run the builds, not build them. Hmm, unless of course build environments were part of the problem. Will have to investigate. I have a USB-C drive. Will need to see how fast it is.

I'll look into this when I get time. I fear it's getting a little OT for this thread?

Posted on: 6/13 6:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
2004/4/7 4:26
Group:
Member
Posts: 4427
Offline
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
Just been catching up and wanted to confirm I'm not seeing the crash when I open the host folder now.

But now onto the next crash!

So I noticed that if i go to 'Host' or 'Home' I'm not seeing my files (to be expected) so I select that I want to see 'All Files'. I then see all files, again as expected. So I 'Snapshot All' but it does not save. As soon as I close the window and open it again, I have to repeat the 'View All'


That's because you're using the wrong option. Snapshot > Window is what you're looking for. Then, you can Snapshot > All. Remember this is good for Home: but not for Host:, since you haven't any disk.info file in the root folder of your linux filesystem. You'd also need root permissions to place and modify one.


Quote:

I figure maybe this is a quirk of looking at a hosted file system so maybe it's fair enough. Instead then I go to 'SYS:Prefs' and run Wanderer prefs.

Here are my steps:
- Prefs
- Wanderer
- Appearance
- Drawer / Advanced
- Default View Mode
- Change to 'All Files'
- Click 'Use'

Immediate result Software Failure as per attached screenshots.

After a little investigation (not much I've been very tied up with work), it seems this is not unique to Icaros hosted but also all of the Aros hosted versions I've built myself too.

So I'm wondering if it might be something with Ubuntu 17.10 or my system in particular. Not sure what extra info might be helpful here?


This might be a issue (or a regression) of Wanderer on hosted versions. I remember using this option long ago on native installations with no issues at all. You know: there's a reason I prefer Magellan...

Posted on: 6/13 6:39
_________________
p.bes
Icaros Desktop AROS distribution mantainer
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
2010/8/30 7:20
Group:
Member
Posts: 1194
Offline
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
Yes, I've tried Icaros latest and my version built direct from the source, updated as of a few days ago when Kalamatee asked about timing it. That version is ABI_V1 x86_64 running on 64bit host, obviously Icaros is ABI_v0 32 bit running on 64bit host.


to confirm or rule out ones local setup being the culprit best is to quickly download respective nightly and cross check the issue.

unfortunately i cant help with this directly, as i neither run icaros nor build or run abiv0 nor 64 bit.

Posted on: 6/13 8:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable
Guest_No Account
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
Well my system is fairly beefy. Not i9 beefy because it's 2.5 years old now but it's stil i7 6700 with GTX1080 and 32GB of RAM so there is no problem with me installing a bunch of VMs to go back and see if it is an issue related to more modern versions of things on the host.


Personally I use CentOS (7) to build AROS, since it kind of lags a little on the components it uses in favour of stability - and generally I don't have any issues building AROS under it. It usually takes about 5 to 10 mins to set it up from clean to build AROS, and off you go.

I cant really think what might cause the difference of behaviour you experience, and there is nothing to rule out it just may be a bug in AROS that is exposed on your system and not others.

You might want to run AROS in gdb, and see if you can find out why the crash occurs from there.

Quote:

Well, I say there is no problem, drive space is tight because my Linux partition was never really an intended permanent feature so it's just on an old 120GB SSD that I had kicking about and it's surprising how quickly that will get eaten up when playing with VMs. I'm sure I have a USB drive here with plenty of space.

IMO, and it is only my opinion there would be high value in increasing compatibility with newer systems for what is there now, IF that's what the issue is before worrying too much about SMP or other new features (also ABIv1 i guess).

I'm not talking about new hardware for native (although that would obviously be nice!) I mean compatibility with newer host environments to reduce the (perceived?) barrier to participation.


Its a never ending battle that I have spent countless thousands of hours on over the past 3 or 4 yrs. It already builds quite easily for _most_ people now on many diverse setups, but usually when it fails it is because of changes people have made to their system - or just that the distro they use does things in a different way to the norm (e.g. for Linux).

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to run all the different flavours of Linux to test for this so it depends a lot on people reporting issues/providing enough information to identify what fails and why.

Quote:

But like I say, that's purely my opinion and I've only been looking at a very high level for a couple of weeks.



Thanks for any feedback or input you can provide ;)

Posted on: 6/13 9:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
5/29 10:12
From England
Group:
Member
Posts: 60
Offline
I'll take it offline and do some work to try to determine whats going on. Including trying out debugging. That will be an interesting and worthwile exercise in itself!

Clearly as you've both said there's a few relatively straightforward things I can do to see if it's an oddity with my system: 1) download nightly binaries to rule out my manual build, 2) build a Centos 7 VM and try again there.

I also have no problem whatsoever with changing my host to some other flavour if at the end of the day I determine that to be the issue. I'd prefer to put some work in rather than go to older versions and I have to say I prefer to stay away from Centos, purely because we used it for years in production and it gave me a lot of headaches, but that was for reasons that have no bearing here and were mostly Microsoft's doing.

Posted on: 6/13 9:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


No Account
Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable
Guest_No Account
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
I also have no problem whatsoever with changing my host to some other flavour if at the end of the day I determine that to be the issue. I'd prefer to put some work in rather than go to older versions and I have to say I prefer to stay away from Centos, purely because we used it for years in production and it gave me a lot of headaches, but that was for reasons that have no bearing here and were mostly Microsoft's doing.


It can certainly be a double edged sword, since things like smb aren't up to date, and therefore can cause problems in windows domains and such - and as you said it doesn't force you to adapt to changes in the newer Linux environments (such as using gcc 7 to compile host code), but for me its easy to quickly get an environment up and running to develop AROS under.

Posted on: 6/13 9:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
2004/4/7 4:26
Group:
Member
Posts: 4427
Offline
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
But now onto the next crash!

Instead then I go to 'SYS:Prefs' and run Wanderer prefs.

Here are my steps:
- Prefs
- Wanderer
- Appearance
- Drawer / Advanced
- Default View Mode
- Change to 'All Files'
- Click 'Use'

Immediate result Software Failure as per attached screenshots.


Since this is might be a bug, please use the included preferences as a work-around. Unzip it env:sys to test and envarc:sys to save.

Attach file:


zip wandererprefs.zip Size: 0.11 KB; Hits: 7

Posted on: 6/14 8:09
_________________
p.bes
Icaros Desktop AROS distribution mantainer
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Icaros 2.2.2 linux hosted unstable

Joined:
5/29 10:12
From England
Group:
Member
Posts: 60
Offline
Just to say that something committed this week has resolved this issue under ABI_v1.

Not much help for Icaros at this point I know unless it was a specific code change that could be back-ported. I haven't looked into that yet.

[EDIT] Just to clarify - by 'this issue' I mean the one where I get a crash when I click 'Use' in Wanderer prefs.

Posted on: 6/16 9:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer



« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]


Search
Top Posters
1 paolone
paolone
4427
2 magorium
magorium
4095
3 nikolaos
nikolaos
4010
4 phoenixkonsole
phoenixkonsole
3921
5 deadwood
deadwood
2917
6 ncafferkey
ncafferkey
2794
7 mazze
mazze
2221
8 clusteruk
clusteruk
2112
9 damocles
damocles
1789
10 BSzili
BSzili
1511
© 2004-2018 AROS Exec