Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: [Odyssey Web Browser wishlist ]: WebGL & dependencies necessary for use of Babylon.js & three.js

Group:
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:
@ Georg

Thanks. I meant to add (hosted or virtualized) "on Windows".

it doesnt seem that many people care for aros hsoted on windows (mingw). whenever this target lags behind or is broken usually none complains. i have had a limited use for it but i dont even currently know if it works. people apparently tend to linux hosted.

Posted on: 7/9 7:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: [Odyssey Web Browser wishlist ]: WebGL & dependencies necessary for use of Babylon.js & three.js

From Norway
Group:
mingw32-i386-system

The hosted version for Microsoft Windows on i386 platform. Developed and compiled under Windows XP, but should work on all 32-bit Windows versions starting from Windows 98.

32-bit Windows is getting rather rare. If it worked on 64-bit windows it would be more interesting I guess.

Posted on: 7/10 1:25

From Hungary
Group:
It works fine under 64-bit Windows, because it's backwards compatible with 32-bit software.

Posted on: 7/10 1:58

From Astoria, Oregon
Group:
Quote:

terminills wrote:

Deadwood had webgl working on Odyssey. IIRC he decided to not release it because at the time it actually was working better hosted(hostgl) than natively.

WebGL v1. specifications had been out for awhile and I think you'd be right in that being around during the later builds. WebGL v2 specifications for in work and experimental versions were in WebKit for some time but ultimately WebGL v2 specifications have been finalized a year or so ago.

As for WebGL v1. specification working will depend on the implementation of OpenGL implementation underneath and the facilities implemented to make optimal use of available hardware features like multicore cpus, CUDA cores, etc. that is currently present in hardware. The better we handle that, the better we handle GL stuff be it WebGL or not. Even if in a hosted environment, to be able to do this adequately in the browser environment of the hosted AROS implementation is still fine. I understand that some hardware builds that people have done for native AROS are very dated hardware. Some people trying to run AROS in systems with a Pentium III cpu. Like it said, in the user manual for Icaros Desktop, that if your 400 Mhz didn't play DivX movies full screen at full frame rate under Windows, it will absolutely not do that with AROS. I'd say, if an application couldn't be executed reasonably under 500 MHz on Windows or Linux or any other operating systems, it isn't going to work even with AROS because what is needed can not be achieved with the clock cycles, the bus bandwidth, etc. I would say that WebGL can be difficult on systems with that low of hardware specs because there is overhead to translate javascript to machine language and the "GL" API to the video card's native GPU processing and so forth.

What we do know for IcarosDesktop v2.2.2 is that 3D Acceleration is not available to Hosted under Windows. Of course you can bypass that limitation by Hosting AROS on top of Linux which is in itself being hosted on Windows provided you make available to the hosted Linux all facilities for hardware features like 3d hardware accelerated graphics.

Posted on: 7/10 12:02

From Astoria, Oregon
Group:
Considering my hardware specs are pretty stout, it is probably not very far fetched to host Linux in a hosted environment and host AROS on top of it. However, not ideal performance but doable on sufficient hardware.

Posted on: 7/10 12:06

Group:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
install your preferred linux (i use lubuntu but maybe ubuntu inself or debian as such improved since).

install vmware tools to your guest to drag and drop data and share clipboard between windows host and linux vm, (important for convenience).

within linux, here are instructions how to build it:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/developers/compiling.php

and my additional info in post #3:

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/vi ... hp?topic_id=10828&forum=2

its basically seting up necessary packages (note youll need proper version of flex 2.5.35 for few things like owb and grub2 but it depends if you want to build these at all) simple configuration command and make (eventually make bootiso).

you can test aros on:
1. hosted (linux and mingw under windows),
2. within vm(ware) (player), (youll need to install it from bootiso)
3. within qemu emulation, (youll need to install it from bootiso)
4. on a dedicated machine, (youll need to install it from bootiso)

hope that helps.

Just to provide some feedback from someone who had actually given this a try.

I followed your instructions with the latest Lubuntu. Right away, I had to install a few additional things that were not mentioned. When the compilation failed after over an hour, I concluded there were more productive uses of my free time :/

Posted on: 7/16 7:12

Group:
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:

I followed your instructions with the latest Lubuntu. Right away, I had to install a few additional things that were not mentioned.

certainly some packages may be present on one distribution as deafault and absent or called by a different name on another. also some packages will be neccessary for some of targets while not for the others. these here are general instructions that may and likely will need to be fine tuned.

Quote:
When the compilation failed after over an hour,

when compilation fails, it usually provides you with the reason for this further up in its log, where it usually says "error: blah", be it ffor instance a missing header, you need to google in order to determine, part of which package it is on your distribution, so that you can install it and proceeed. aros build system will determine what has already been built and pick up from there on, so no time was actually wasted. to speed up the compilation you might want to allow multiple threads, lets say issue "make -j4", but note, that then compilation may bail out on some yet missing dependency. while rare, you would have to reissue make.

Quote:
I concluded there were more productive uses of my free time :/

well, thats up to you and simply the question of motivation. if you give up just after first compile fails, aou probably wouldnt get far anyway.

Posted on: 7/16 8:22

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.