Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
12 user(s) are online (6 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 12

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: usb and sound

Group:
Quote:

incognito wrote:
What does "ISO" mean in this context?

USB defines four types of transfers:

- Control
- Bulk
- Interrupt
- Isochronous

Each transfer type has different features, such as being reliable (Control, Bulk, Interrupt) or realtime (Iso) or the maximum size of packets.

Control is always needed, Bulk is needed for larger data transfers (such as Mass Storage, Ethernet, PTP, Printer, etc.)

Interrupt is used for HID devices such as mice and keyboards, but several other protocols use it for status reporting, too.

As Isochronous transfers are only needed by a few applications such as USB Audio and Webcams, it is low priority when implementing a host controller driver. In 2001, when I first started Poseidon, I did a basic implementation of iso transfers for the Highway and Subway drivers, but there was no application to it. The Algor driver didn't implement it at all. The pciusb.device for MorphOS also does not have support for ISO, neither for UHCI, OHCI or EHCI. Only with the Deneb adding iso transfers for the unique selling point of USB Audio for Amiga Classic made sense again.

As the interface I deviced for ISO transfers in 2001 did not seem to suffice the realtime requirements, I added a some new API calls in 2007, the so called RT ISO extension. The Deneb is currently the only one to support it. However, once normal ISO transfers are working for a driver, adding RT ISO support is not much work. Currently, two applications are using RT ISO: The sonix webcam driver and USB audio.

Posted on: 2009/7/2 1:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Munich/Germany
Group:
I have spent a few years as a recording musician, with some releases under my belt, and from time to time I am having a look into gearslutz.com and checking out what's going on there..

You are right with the assumption, that Firewire was king for all kinds of media related stuff for a few years, but these days, things are moving over to USB 2.0 more and more. Even Apogee, the creators of the highly acclaimed Rosetta Audio interfaces (which are like the holy grail of studio audio recording) have released their first USB product these days after years of developing Firewire only.

I myself have a USB 2.0 Native Instruments Audio Kontrol 1, and couldn't be happier with the results I get with it.

Plus, if we have Poseidon up and running, we already have some kind of USB connectivity that we can use, and I am not so sure about Firewire in the context of Aros, or if we will ever have that.

And in the end, somebody needs to write the aforementioned audio software, agreed? ;)

Posted on: 2009/7/2 1:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Daoulas (Finistère, France)
Group:
Quote:

Steril707 wrote:
[...] I am not so sure about Firewire in the context of Aros, or if we will ever have that.

The MorphOS developer Yomgui has already created a Firewire stack and tools for MorphOS. But I don't know how portable it would be, nor what he would think about such a port...

Posted on: 2009/7/2 2:28

From Norway
Group:
I will put money in a bounty to make usb-audio work.

Can we plz start a bounty for it ?

Posted on: 2009/7/2 6:39

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.