Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
20 user(s) are online (16 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 20

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1st install

Group:
Tried it again, skipping the file that caused the error. It goes a little further forward and then returns more of the same error.

I'll have to leave it here for tonight. If anyone has anything else I can try I'd be very pleased to hear it. Maybe I'm just unlucky though.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 14:51

Group:
Didn't AROS have problems with big drives(>120gb), or have I made that up?

Posted on: 2010/12/13 15:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Ireland
Group:
AROS used to have problems with big drives, but now only has problems with big partitions. The installer doesn't let you create partitions that are too big for SFS to handle.

Nux, it could be that you're unlucky enough to have a hard drive that's incompatible with AROS. Try another drive if you have one spare.

Posted on: 2010/12/13 16:58

Group:
Nux, either your hard drive is corrupt, or SFS can't handle correctly your partition, only God knows why. I can only suggest to create thinner partitions. You don't really need a 124 GB partition, maybe a 90 GB one would work better. Please also notice that 124 is near to 128, and maybe this can somehow confuse the installer.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 0:20

Group:
@paolone

I've tried various sizes of partitions, including an 80GB SFS partition. I still get the same error.

I scanned the drive with Powermax as soon as I bought it, the drive is pristine.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 9:03

Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:
Nux, it could be that you're unlucky enough to have a hard drive that's incompatible with AROS. Try another drive if you have one spare.

I have a spare 13GB drive. I had already tried to install it on that but got write errors (I half remembered this drive to be bad so didn't push it). It seems like the 'ATA = nodma' switch was the key, as I have now fully installed Icaros onto it! I'm very pleased.

Maybe the drives geometry as well as the partition is important? Or maybe it's the Maxtor curse? I'm very curious as to why it wouldn't install on that drive and how I could get around it.

Thank you all! I now have an AROS system to enjoy! [+1 New AROS User]

I think I'll try a few more HDDs until I have some from of decent capacity. Is there anything better than HDToolKit kicking around? Maybe a nice new version of HDInstTool? I'm surprised ToolKit was brought over rather than InstTool.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 10:31

Group:
It's great you solved your issues! Enjoy AROS and, if you have time and will, try booting with

ATA=nodma,32bit

it should enhance speed.

Posted on: 2010/12/14 13:37

Group:
I need to admit this, I feel bad: It was the damn hard drive after all. Even though I ran some tests, I decided to run some read/write tests to double-check; it failed bad so I’m sending it back.

I thought it was the AROS software causing the problem as I had a similar error on that 13 GB HDD when I first tried that. Turns out I just need to run ATA=nodma and not use a broken Maxtor drive.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Posted on: 2010/12/15 13:43

Guest_
I use the installation script to create the partitions! There I give Aros (DH0:) 8 GB (wich is plenty) and fill out the form for DH1: (just create Partition without clicking the specify size selector) and then I have the full amount of Space AROS can get!

Posted on: 2010/12/15 14:06

Group:
I have a Sound Blaster Live SB0220 in my system now, and a compatible network card on the way. I’m being held up by that hard drive though. I sent it back for a replacement and they sent me another dead one (that was also half the size I’d ordered.) Until I get a decent drive to run IcAROS on, I’m limited in what I can do. It doesn’t seem to like the clanky old 13GB I used in the meantime.

Posted on: 2010/12/30 3:05

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]