Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
13 user(s) are online (9 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 13

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Aros on asus eeepc 701

Group:
Booting the Icaros1.3.1-LiveCD on a EeePC701 from a external usb-dvd-drive results in Vesa-Mode in a blank screen and in native mode in a Textscreen with the last five lines:

[ATA ] Approximate number of iterations per 100 nanoseconds: 2
[ATA ] ata_InitBus(0)
[ATA00] ata_InitBus: Device type = 0
[ATA01] ata_InitBus: Device type = 0
[ATA ] ata_ResetBus(0)

Afterwards the bootprocess stops. Also altering the bootparameter like ATA=noDMA e.g. gives no other result.

In BIOS there is no configuration option for IDE other than determining the actual device (only one given).

Just recently i got my hands on a EeePC 901 and i have to admit, this maschine is nearly full compatible. Only the wireless device is not supported, but here i switched the buildin one with the one out of the 701. Now i am running AROS for the first time natively with IntelGMA in 1024x600/24, HDAudio and Atheros5k wireless WPA working. Quite a compelling experiance after years with unsupported hardware

But that's offtopic, hopefully AROS could also run on the 701, as far graphics and audio are in reachable supportness too.

Posted on: 2011/9/4 15:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Spain
Group:
Is there any installation made ready to put on sdcard and try from it. I can't boot from cd, and i really would like to have this netbook dedicated to aros, as the 4gb ssd is perfect for an amiga-like os.
Any clues???.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 7:47

From Ireland
Group:
@ _ThEcRoW

No, but you could make one with VirtualBox on your Mac. Just make sure you turn off USB 2.0 in the VBox settings.

Posted on: 2012/3/11 9:19

From Spain
Group:
I will try and see if it can work. Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/3/17 7:22

From Spain
Group:
Well, i installed virtualbox and installed it to a virtual hard drive on my macbook, the problem is that i can't get recognized the sd card on the card reader, or on a usb adapter under aros, in order to be able to install there. Anyone knows how?.

Posted on: 2012/4/1 9:27

Group:
@_ThEcRoW:

Quote:
Anyone knows how?.

Yes. I do ;-p

But, its in the manual and requires manual commands so i have to look it up and paste it here to give a more definitve answer. Unless somebody beats me to it

btw: the sd card/reader _must_ be seen by the original os in the first place. if not then you are out of luck. Also warning upfront that is does not always work.

regards,

P.S. the trick is to let virtual box believe the sd-card is a real (actual) harddisk.

P.S.2. Here you go. Read it carefully. Ask questions if something is unclear. You might need some help from another mac-user as i have no experience with those. NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED again ask if things are unclear because you can seriously screw things up (e.g. loosing mac-os).

BTW and FWIW: again i know next to nothing about mac. but i had a conversation the other day with someone who did try the icaros live dvd on his macbook pro. We could not get any video output and the boot seems to hang/freeze.

Posted on: 2012/4/1 11:10

Edited by magorium on 2012/4/1 11:39:59
Edited by magorium on 2012/4/1 12:00:27
Edited by magorium on 2012/4/1 12:02:39

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
Well, i installed virtualbox and installed it to a virtual hard drive on my macbook, the problem is that i can't get recognized the sd card on the card reader, or on a usb adapter under aros, in order to be able to install there. Anyone knows how?.

What exactly did you try here? Did you "eject" the SD card from Finder, and turn off USB 2.0 in VBox?

Posted on: 2012/4/1 12:34

From Spain
Group:
Yes, first ejected it from finder, then selected it from the vbox menu. But no signs of it under aros. Also usb 2.0 option was disabled(the tickbox inside usb options).

Posted on: 2012/4/1 13:23

Group:
Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
Hello, is aros capable of being installed on this model of asus eeepc?. It's one of the firsts with the 7" screen and 4gig ssd drive, ...

AROS Linux hosted will work, but not with the default Linux installed on the EeePC. I had some success with EasyPeasy http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=easypeasy This Linux distribution made using the EeePC much easier.

Posted on: 2012/4/1 14:26

Edited by GreenNight on 2012/4/1 14:56:26

Group:
@_ThEcRoW:

Quote:
But no signs of it under aros.

If the VirtualBox/Aros combination is unable to see your sd-card/sd-card-reader then the earlier posted method i mentioned is afaik the only and last method you can try.

I mistakenly read your post as wanting to boot aros of your mac. Using a mac (or any other machine for that matter) to prep a sd-card is a good idea.

In my method, the only thing to be absolutely sure about is that you use the correct device number. If you mistake it for your internal HD(s) then you will wipe them out.

Perhaps another mac-user might give you a hand here, as i have no clue about device numbering in macos.

The method descibed is proofed and tested on a ee-box. I had the luck being able to install VirtualBox on the machine itself. Also here VirtualBox/Aros was unable to see the (internal) sd-card-reader.

If you do try this method, i would be very interrested to know about the details. Even if you do not try it, could you tell so ?

regards,

P.S. I forgot to mention. If you use this method then please install Icaros on 1 (one) partition only. Booting of sd-card with 2 partitions might unnecessarily confuse Bios/Hardware.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 12:21

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.