Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
19 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 19

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

things to fix on aros 68k (aga)

Group:
some of the things i have repeatedly reported, now see for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPgMYx1H-yI

would be good to get wanderer on original amiga into some kind of usable state. just too have a little more publicicty for aros in general.

im going to try out 68k version scalos maybe tomorrow. but default filemanager, which is wanderer should at least work..

Posted on: 2012/3/6 15:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: things to fix on aros 68k (aga)

Group:

Posted on: 2012/3/6 15:49

Group:
Quote:
im going to try out 68k version scalos maybe tomorrow. but default filemanager, which is wanderer should at least work..

No wonder the experience for some people turn out to be a bit negative .

AFAIK Jason developed workbook as workbench alternative instead of (for 68k) sluggish wanderer. I would definitely advise to use something else for filemanagement such as directory opus or filex. I personally have no experience with Workbook, so i don't know what functionality is available.

Also, what i remember from my own experience, MUI didn't really do it for me on a plain vanilla miggy. Instead i used classact, which was much more responsive.

just 2 cents.

Posted on: 2012/3/6 16:28

From Nürnberg, Deutschland
Group:
Workbook is ok to boot from disk but it is no real alternative to a workbench-replacement. My 2 cent

Posted on: 2012/3/7 1:11

Group:
workbook isnt any better in its current state. i ve seen on ml jason has been offered assistance with it. i sincerely hope it will get somewhere.

so far some requests for "quick fixes" on wanderer (68k):
1. scrolling up listers in detailed mode messes up window content, the list elements are not sorted in the right order, only after single click they reveal their "true identity"

2. icons backgrounds are too big at least on planar, the filenames are displaye miles under the actual image they belong to. this especially makes cleanup problematic as usually icons do not fit the display or are too far away from each other within window content. very annoying.

3. hotspot of the mouse pointer is positioned wrongly. it is impossible to user-fix it within the pointer preferences, as it is set differently for different (horizontal?) resolutions, maybe even depths.

4. menus(rmb) have high enough priority when invoked, but should also have high priority to disappear when not needed. instead they wait in the background for instance in case the lister window content is rendered. that may not be noticeable on fast enough system, otherwise it looks like mess.

5. lister windows resizing-moving while its rendering its content should be solved in such a manner that it responds instantly to user input. the window frame should be updated instantly even if the content isnt rendered yet. this is lower priority.

6. drag and drop of files on same volume should result in move, not in copy operation. lower priority.

now a feature request: undo on file operations within a window. because user interaction with wanderer is presently so clumsy, mostly because the icon sizes and messed up detail view, a lot of accidental undesired operation happens to me. its impossible to keep track of this as user. it leads to messing up the whole file content on disk.

also i could design a simple 3 color image for upper directory instead of the current one that should become a skin for it. gadgets are done as series of line/fill operations right?

Posted on: 2012/3/7 6:50

From Nürnberg, Deutschland
Group:
to 2.
I do not think if this is the problem. During developing my distribution I had this problems too. I tested different sets and Glowicons seemed to be the solution. They are shown correctly in PAL/NTSC and RTG and the text is on the right position.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 6:58

Group:
Most of AROS software wasn't really written with Amiga CPUs, ram and planar screens limitations in mind, so there's lots of room for improvement there.

You're probably better off trying other folks m68k-amiga workbench replacement programs and icon sets at this time for any m68k user distro, and making sure things like decoration aren't enabled by default.

That should help one figure out whats an AROS graphics library or intuition library speed issue with amiga native screens, compared to what's a Zune rendering issue or whats a Wanderer issue.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 9:24

Group:
decoration is off on aros68k build by default. and even before we were turning it off..
all that is takeninto consideration, the above are definitely bugs to be fixed imo even if a third party deskop might be better solution. i mean wanderer is buggy on all platforms, only 68k shows it better, either fix it or drop it..

Posted on: 2012/3/7 10:17

Group:
since point 2 on my list is taken care of by jason i d like to precise the other part of that my complaint that might have not been very clear to anyone, who do not modify his aros installation himself.

the testcase is simple. copy some third party file with an icon to a directory on your aros iso/hd and try to list this dir in wanderer using icon view. notice that the icons and icons description in the dir are being displayed at just impossible distance from each other?

Posted on: 2012/3/16 12:23

Group:
to clarify, if i remove the offending fresh icon from the directory all renders well again.

Posted on: 2012/3/16 14:33

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.