Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
27 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 25

phoenixkonsole, terminills, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Strange things happens on IcAROS 1.4 :-)

From Italy
Group:
Just installed new IcAROS 1.4 on 2 computers: my main PIV 2.8 ghz and Aspire One A110. The PIV was the first one updated, so booted from dvd to install and... what? "Please insert a bootable media"? Did something happened to my hard disk? So booted without dvd and my usual system started. Booted again with dvd and got the same "Please insert a bootable media" screen. I was busy on phone so didn't reset the computer and after a minute or two it started to boot and my usual system started. Uhmmm... what if I format my sys: partition? So booted again and this time it booted from dvd and I was able to install IcAROS 1.4. After the system was fully configured, I tried to install from my hd to an usb key, so I made a sort of "backup" to install to the Aspire One. Here the strange thing is that the developer directory were not copied by InstallAros. I had to copy manually. And, yes... the option to copy the developer directory was active. Now about the new OWB... it crashes a lot at exit. Often it freezes AROS. On the Aspire One this happens more often than on my PIV. The last strange thing is at boot time. Some garbage is printed on the black screen just before the mouse pointer appears.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 11:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Strange things happens on IcAROS 1.4 :-)

From St.Petersburg
Group:
I also had problems with ICAROS 1.4 (and I am still not able to install it to any device, seems like GRUB is broken).

What I did is: installed all the files from ICAROS 1.4 DVD using InstallAROS, it then refused to boot. After that, I downloaded the latest Nightly, and installed it. Now the system works.

By the way, I have 2 partitions: system and Work. All the Extras: is located on the Work: partition. So, the system partition may be reformatted without loosing the Extras files.

Some changes in the startup-sequence had to be made (assigns).

By the way, Odyssey is very stable here, on my P4 2.4 GHz.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 12:20

From Brownsville PA
Group:
I had problems using two partitions for System and Work. My system wouldn't boot either, so I just have one partition and it works great.

Posted on: 2012/3/12 22:42

Group:
I have two partitions on my VM and all is good, but I had issues on actual hardware as well. I think that the HD-Tools may need some more love.

We do need to be able to reliably and easily be able to partition a drive but I gave up with HD-Tools but multi partitions are really useful, especially now I want t keep 1.4 as a fully working system rather than test bench.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 1:44
http://www.amiga25.org

Group:
When installing, please let InstallAROS do the partitioning work itself. Do not use other tools to partition the drive, because missing one step may prevent the installer from working. In particular when using two partitions.

I have tested Icaros 1.4 both with single and two partitions, and it always worked fine. The issue with the bootloader not starting AROS when launched on an already installed system is a long living bug: to fix it, you SHOULD NEVER use a nightly build (MOREOVER INSTALLING IT OVER ICAROS! DO NOT DO THAT! you will mess up everything in Extras), but just relaunch the Icaros DVD, run InstallAROS again and install the BOOTLOADER ONLY. This will fix booting at next startup. If it doesn't work the first time, do it twice.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 2:54

From St.Petersburg
Group:
In my case I installed the NB on top of ICAROS and it worked fine...

The only use of ICAROS for me is the Extras: folder. The Nightly Builds are usually more stable.

Also ICAROS has some graphics issues during booting from DVD on my config.

By the way, You may install the NB on top of ICAROS with checking only copying system core files and installing bootloader. Then the Extras: folder should not be messed up.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 4:02

Group:
@Amigamaniac

No, NO and definitely absolutely NOT.

Don't give people WRONG HINTS that will break things up.

If you install NB system files over the Icaros ones, you'll mess up:

- all def_XXXX.info files in envarc:SYS

- most packages paths in envarc:SYS/Packages

- Fkey info file (breaking keyboard shortcuts)

- all env: settings for Wanderer, Zune etc

It's working for you for the simple reason you've not tried to use things that you have already messed up. The day you will, they won't work.

NB are NOT more stable than Icaros files, since Icaros files are taken from NB too. You just get more speed and felt stability due to the fact NB launch less programs at startup. Just kill everything Icaros run at startup, and you'll get a "Icaros Nightly Build" on top of your hardware.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 4:19

From St.Petersburg
Group:
Anyway I edit startup-sequence for myself after installing anything.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 5:09

Group:
What happened to SuperTuxKart in Icaros 1.4?!

Posted on: 2012/3/13 10:51

From Italy
Group:
@Paolone

My system has 3 partitions since the beginning (at least 2 years). The partition were done with HDToolBox cloning the first done by InstallAROS. Booting from IcAROS DVDs worked until 1.4. Whith this latest version it loads the kernel, reboot the system and after few seconds 2 eyes are staring at me asking for a bootable media. As said before, I already have (had) a full working IcAROS 1.3.3 but IcAROS 1.4 ignores it. After a minute or two it starts loading from hd. So, the only way to boot from DVD was to format my already working SYS: partition. Now I have the same problem on other computers. Now I'm trying to download a nightly build to try with a new kernel and see if this problem will solve. To install IcAROS on my Aspire One was used the already installed IcAROS 1.4 from my PIV because I can't boot from dvd (it will boot from hd) and because this way I have a full backup of all extra files installed on extras folders. The only problem I had with this is the missing developer directory. With a simple manual copy the problem was solved. OWB is really unstable on my PIV and it's worse on Aspire One... it crashes more often.

Posted on: 2012/3/13 11:29

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.