Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
15 user(s) are online (11 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 15

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Some functions I would like to see in AROS

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Well, since one of the goals of AROS is to do an open source version of AmigaOS 3.1 and to "further improve it", I thought I could mention some functions I think would be good to add as standard in AROS.

I know that everyone has different views of what should or should not be added, but these are things that have annoyed the hell out of me since the Amiga days. And, funny enough as you will see, some of these functions I wanted eventually found their way into AROS so it does mean that there are rooms for discussion.

1. Add icon in the menu.

The idea is that you click on "show all files" and then right click on a icon-less file and click "Add icon" and it will add an icon from the default drawer. Simple as that. Having to copy stuff manually is very tedious so I think this would be a nice improvement.

2. Show all files keyboard short cut.

Having to keep right clicking and go to the menu in order to press "view all files" is time consuming. There are so many functions that have an Amiga A + [something] function, but the one function I use the most (for every time I've downloaded a new movie, mp3 etc, and that is quite often in the age of broadband) I have to go the long way through the menu instead. It may not have been so important in the good old days, but I think a short cut here and now would be an improvement.

3. Copyicon

This should be a standard C: command: copying new icons over old ones but keeping the information of the old ones intact. Alternatively, it could be standard with the original copy function that it either doesn't overwrite the original icon information or give one the choice to overwrite it or not.

4. Being able to make your own menus

I remember when MagicMenu came and it was instant love for me. Being able to access the menu from everywhere on the screen made my life easier, and I didn't need any icon bar or anything because having ones favourite programs in your own menus saved a lot of time. Being able to use pop up menus are implemented in AROS (but doesn't exist in original AOS 3.1), so having a way to make your own menus (in prefs maybe, or as a config file?) parallel to the original ones would be a logical, objective improvement and it would save time using a pop up menu instead of having to access icons, icon bars etc. Or at least be a good complement to it.

These 4 things are stuff I think would improve AROS so much as it should be standard, and not solved by add on programs. I understand if it can't be prioritised right now with all the other stuff that needs to be done, but it would be nice to know if these suggestions would at least be considered, and maybe implemented later on if deemed worthwhile.

My 2 dollars (not cents in this case).

Posted on: 2013/1/4 8:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Some functions I would like to see in AROS

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Yasu wrote:
Well, since one of the goals of AROS is to do an open source version of AmigaOS 3.1 and to "further improve it", I thought I could mention some functions I think would be good to add as standard in AROS.

I know that everyone has different views of what should or should not be added, but these are things that have annoyed the hell out of me since the Amiga days. And, funny enough as you will see, some of these functions I wanted eventually found their way into AROS so it does mean that there are rooms for discussion.

1. Add icon in the menu.

The idea is that you click on "show all files" and then right click on a icon-less file and click "Add icon" and it will add an icon from the default drawer. Simple as that. Having to copy stuff manually is very tedious so I think this would be a nice improvement.

Snapshoting a file should do this, since you cannot store the position of a file without a corresponding icon.

Quote:

2. Show all files keyboard short cut.

Having to keep right clicking and go to the menu in order to press "view all files" is time consuming. There are so many functions that have an Amiga A + [something] function, but the one function I use the most (for every time I've downloaded a new movie, mp3 etc, and that is quite often in the age of broadband) I have to go the long way through the menu instead. It may not have been so important in the good old days, but I think a short cut here and now would be an improvement.

Fixing the fundementals was a higher priority than keyboard shortcuts (though that was on the agenda for a later date).

Ideally ALL AROS "core" software should be tested/fixed to make sure it is usable without a mouse (or without a keyboard using an on screen keyboard instead).

Quote:

3. Copyicon

This should be a standard C: command: copying new icons over old ones but keeping the information of the old ones intact. Alternatively, it could be standard with the original copy function that it either doesn't overwrite the original icon information or give one the choice to overwrite it or not.

I started writing a tool called InjectIcon for this purpose but it wouldn't play ball so needs someone with a bit more experience with icon.library and co to get it working correctly. The intention was to have the tool used by theming software to push a complete new icon set over the existing install.

Quote:

4. Being able to make your own menus

I remember when MagicMenu came and it was instant love for me. Being able to access the menu from everywhere on the screen made my life easier, and I didn't need any icon bar or anything because having ones favourite programs in your own menus saved a lot of time. Being able to use pop up menus are implemented in AROS (but doesn't exist in original AOS 3.1), so having a way to make your own menus (in prefs maybe, or as a config file?) parallel to the original ones would be a logical, objective improvement and it would save time using a pop up menu instead of having to access icons, icon bars etc. Or at least be a good complement to it.

I reworked menu handling considerably in my private tree of wanderer so that AppMenus worked 9so that AmigaOS menu software could patch in as normal) - but also so that wanderers plugins had a lot more flexability and can patch new items anywhere into the menu hierarchy.

Quote:

These 4 things are stuff I think would improve AROS so much as it should be standard, and not solved by add on programs.

Because it would improve aros so much is no reason to hardcode the functionality into AROS. AROS itself should only provide the necessary API's for 3rd party apps to interface - but that is not to say it cant also ship some usefull tools that take advantage of the API's.

Quote:

I understand if it can't be prioritised right now with all the other stuff that needs to be done, but it would be nice to know if these suggestions would at least be considered, and maybe implemented later on if deemed worthwhile.

My 2 dollars (not cents in this case).

Nearly everything mentioned has been considered for years - but getting the fundamentals working correctly is a higher priority so they have always been sidelined.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 8:56

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Good to know these ideas are being considered already.

A couple of questions: OK, if these things are good but shouldn't be hardcoded into AROS, how come pop up menus got included in the first place?

Question for answer 1: Are we talking about the same thing here? Adding an icon from the default icon drawer (the one used when choosing "Show all files" for something that lacks one?

Question for answer 2: I don't think ALL functions need a short cut. A rather more reasonable approach would be to have the keyboard act as a mouse when lacking one in that case.

Answer 3: I think I read about that somewhere. Is it only supposed to work with entire packages or will it work for individual files as well? Either way, good initiative!

Answer 4: That's what I like to hear! Hope to see something of in someday :)

Sorry if anyone feels I'm wasting their time. It's not easy to know what has and has not been discussed already, even with the search function :) Anyway, I still think these are worthwhile to add to AROS and I will keep pushing for it :D

Posted on: 2013/1/4 9:25

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Yasu wrote:
Good to know these ideas are being considered already.

A couple of questions: OK, if these things are good but shouldn't be hardcoded into AROS, how come pop up menus got included in the first place?

There is no existing API to interact with the menu susbsytem at that level. MagicMenu is a hack which has been directly implemented into AROS (do you understand the difference?)

Quote:

Question for answer 1: Are we talking about the same thing here? Adding an icon from the default icon drawer (the one used when choosing "Show all files" for something that lacks one?

exactly.

Quote:

Question for answer 2: I don't think ALL functions need a short cut. A rather more reasonable approach would be to have the keyboard act as a mouse when lacking one in that case.

Ofcourse not, less frequently used items can be navigated using the mouse emulation using the keyboard ;) - or should be able to ..

Quote:

Answer 3: I think I read about that somewhere. Is it only supposed to work with entire packages or will it work for individual files as well? Either way, good initiative!

The plan was for individual files with the gui/frontend pushing the packages into it to replace the installed icons.

Quote:

Answer 4: That's what I like to hear! Hope to see something of in someday :)

Sorry if anyone feels I'm wasting their time. It's not easy to know what has and has not been discussed already, even with the search function :) Anyway, I still think these are worthwhile to add to AROS and I will keep pushing for it :D

So do I since ive spent a considerable amount of time coding/changing all the stuff in wanderer and would hate to see it wasted ;p

I have lacked time and motivation for a while - but once I can natively boot AROS on my Raspberry PI, I hope to resume work on it.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 10:09

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Looking forward to see you working again then ;)

If that MagicMenu hack was implemented in AROS, why not all? I mean, it can't have been seen as a drawback to be able to make your own menus, right?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 10:15

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Yasu wrote:
Looking forward to see you working again then ;)

If that MagicMenu hack was implemented in AROS, why not all? I mean, it can't have been seen as a drawback to be able to make your own menus, right?

I don't quite get what you mean by "why not all"?

MagicMenu is a hack to intuition (the windowing subsystem) which replaces the rendering/input handling code to support pop up style menus. It does not touch the actual menu contents/structure.

Adding different stuff to the menus is a completely separate thing (part of workbench/the desktop environment) - and the AppMenu "API" on AmigaOS allows you to do this but to a very limited degree.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 10:25

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
I remember Magic Menu having both the function of adding pop up menus as well as give you the possibility to create your own menus. That's what I meant by "why not all functions?".

But you answered my question. But would it at least in theory be a possible change in AROS, or would it create it's own problems?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 11:49

From Italy
Group:
Another nice feature would be a way to show all the icons in a drawer while resizing it, like on windows... That feature on my italian version of XP is called "Disposizione automatica". I don't know which is the name in an english version. Maybe "automatic layout"?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 12:36

Group:
Quote:

I thought you meant: how to automatically create an icon for a program that does not have it.
I usually choose "Information..." from the Icon menu, save (even without changing anything) and - voilà - the icon file is automatically generated (although I don't know how much this is the intended behaviour).

Posted on: 2013/1/4 15:26

Edited by jman on 2013/1/4 19:07:03

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
I did not know one could do that. Not that obvious I must say :)

Posted on: 2013/1/4 17:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Search