Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
15 user(s) are online (12 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 14

phoenixkonsole, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Complete forum rework?

From Germany
Group:
Hello,

I just wanted to ask a simple question: Would anyone like the idea of a forum rework?

aros-exec is a great forum, the people are nice, I didn't notice much flaming or spamming and the information exchange is high. The most problems I noticed are with the site itself. The server is often slow, the search function is not the best, and I presume everyone here got the 'session time expired' more than one time.

In 2008, I entered very early an OSx86 forum in beginning state. It used only the vanilla forum software. Simple, free, but the forum was so frequently used that you couldn't find anything in it. So we switched after a donation request to a new forum with the standard vBulletin software. This was more expensive, but it made the use of the forum much easier.

So what do think: would it be an idea to switch to a new forum model, even if it requires a money collection of the members? I would have no problems with donating, because all people in the forum have an advantage of it.

The problem is, who maintains the new forum, and how are the old posts converted? I have no idea of internet programming or else.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 22:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Complete forum rework?

Group:
Never change a running system.

Posted on: 2013/1/9 23:39

Group:
Sincerely, I don't feel the need for a new forum, since the current one is working well enough. The day this community will explode and gain 100+ messages every day thing may change, but for now I guess we have to thank 4play for everything he's doing.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 2:29

From Poland - Italy
Group:
Quote:

RC_tech wrote:
So what do think: would it be an idea to switch to a new forum model, even if it requires a money collection of the members? I would have no problems with donating, because all people in the forum have an advantage of it.

The problem is, who maintains the new forum, and how are the old posts converted? I have no idea of internet programming or else.

I guess everybody would like to have the best/fastest/nicest/whateverest forum, but the requirements you have already highlighted ($$$ and an admin, and a skilled admin) looks like not so easy to find :)

-- LuKe

Posted on: 2013/1/10 7:44

From Los Angeles,CA
Group:
vbulletin -> /(0.0)\

vbulletin is a bloated piece of ###: i had to put my hands on it for work (some customization, a complex migration from another forum and theme building) and is pretty much a mess; it also is quite expensive and the license binded to the installed server!!!

Ah, did i mention that if you upgrade te theme and you did not made your modifications according to the (pretty undocumented) vbulletin object model sort-of-but-not-quite-MVC way everything has to be redone from scratch?

Posted on: 2013/1/10 9:51
Binary Doodles - english blog
Twitter

From Germany
Group:
Well ok, it was a suggestion. Like I said, I had this in an OSx86 forum, and the switch to vBulletin (in that case) had much advantages. But the OSx86 community is much bigger than the AROS community. By the way, it was no problem to get the money for the change and the running costs.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 11:30

Group:
Quote:

I just wanted to ask a simple question: Would anyone like the idea of a forum rework?

I, for one, would like aros-exec to be a better place to stay.

I am grateful to the current admin (4play), he's keeping this forum a nice place to stay, AFAIK all on his own, AFAIK since quite a lot of time.

However I'd be curious to evaluate if there's room for improvement. Sent him a couple of hints every now and then but could never open a discussion.

Posted on: 2013/1/10 13:25

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Faster servers would be nice of course, and some smaller bugs fixed would be nice (like I can't change my signature), but all and all I think this is all very nice and AROS-y :)

Posted on: 2013/1/10 13:38

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Search