Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
18 user(s) are online (13 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 18

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

ntfs.handler crash

From Italy
Group:
Trying to boot from dvd on my Pentium IV, ntfs handler crashes. This stops Wanderer loading. Choosing suspend from the requester, IcAROS loads Amistart that works, but Wanderer opens a useless white screen. Is there a way to disable ntfs.handler? If it were on a writeable media I could have renamed or deleted the handler, but it's on dvd. So... what can I do? The only solution could be open the case and disconnect the hd to install IcAROS on a USB key... but if I can do this without touching the hardware would be a better thing.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 15:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: ntfs.handler crash

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
@Yanosh

I do not know if I understand correctly, but the DVD drive does not use the NTFS file system, but on the Amiga was once virtually can rename the CD with "BabelCDWriteFS", this allowed to use CDs with labels wrong, and hide the data on the CD to the curious , things that Windows was pure science fiction.

---------------------------------------------------------

Non so se ho capito bene, ma il DVD CD non usano il Filesystem NTFS, eppure su AMiGA una volta era possibile rinominare virtualmente i CD con "BabelCDWriteFS", questo permetteva di utilizzare CD con etichette sbagliate, e nascondere i dati sul CD ai curiosi, cose che su Windows era pura fantascenza.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 16:54

Group:
Quote:
Yanosh wrote:
but if I can do this without touching the hardware would be a better thing.

Well, formatting your hd to fat32 (or even better amiga filesystem) sounds a bit drastic, so i wouldn't advise that .

But have you tried disabling the HD in the BIOS ? If it is only that you want to install to an USB pendrive then that would perhaps help ?

Posted on: 2013/1/12 17:03

Group:
double post removed. This post can be deleted.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 17:04

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
Trying to boot from dvd on my Pentium IV, ntfs handler crashes.

Hi Yanosh - firstly im sorry to hear it crashes for you. Can you provide any debug/crash report output generated so that I can try to investigate it here?

Secondly, have you checked the ntfs partitions with chkdsk under windows incase there is something wrong with them? Im not suggesting there is, but its always worth making sure.

Quote:

This stops Wanderer loading. Choosing suspend from the requester, IcAROS loads Amistart that works, but Wanderer opens a useless white screen. Is there a way to disable ntfs.handler? If it were on a writeable media I could have renamed or deleted the handler, but it's on dvd.

As Magorium suggested you can try disabling the drive in the BIOS - theres no options in AROS to disable the handler other than renaming the file that im aware of.

Quote:

So... what can I do? The only solution could be open the case and disconnect the hd to install IcAROS on a USB key... but if I can do this without touching the hardware would be a better thing.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 4:40

Group:
enter a shell and cast:

rename devs:ntfs.handler devs:netfshandler.disabled

this will work, obviously, after installation. Before booting from DVD, however, you will have to hide the NTFS volume some way, either disabling the drive via BIOS, or physically disconnecting the device's power cord.

Posted on: 2013/1/13 8:21

Group:
@yanosh
Had the same problem. Plus the nouveau driver from icaros 1.5 gave me headaches. I ended up editing the icaros 1.5 iso with UltraISO. I deleted ntfs.handler in devs: from the iso and merged the contents of the nightly build from 1-4-13 with the icaros 1.5 iso (excluding the s: , envarc: , extras and demos dirs from the nightly build iso).
Now it works like a charm. I really love UltraISO !!!

Posted on: 2013/1/13 18:08

From Italy
Group:
Hi to all. Sorry for the long delay in my answer, but on 28 January my father died after 2 monts of hospital. This and a lack of free time, keeped me away from AROS untill now. Tried to boot the last IcAROS but it still crash at boot time. So I managed to mount a dvd slim burner into my old usb cd reader and with it I was able to install IcAROS on an USB key with my Acer Aspire One A110. I still can't boot on my PIV desktop, because it stops with "GRUB" written on the screen. The same usb key works without problems on the Aspire One.

Can't disable the hd because if I do so, the BIOS will complain about a missing primary drive. I have XP installed, mainly for playing Quake online and for tasks I can't perform on AROS, like to use UAE and Newscoaster. I dream a day when I'll don't need Windows anymore... but untill now I can't format Windows' partitions. I hope to find some time to perform a chkdsk on Windows' partitions soon. IMHO, as a beta software, ntfs.handler should go into storage, so if someone wants to try it, could simply move it to devs.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 12:24

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
I still can't boot on my PIV desktop, because it stops with "GRUB" written on the screen. The same usb key works without problems on the Aspire One.

Then GRUB isn't detecting the correct drive. I would check the USB settings in the BIOS of the machine that doesn't boot.

Quote:

I hope to find some time to perform a chkdsk on Windows' partitions soon. IMHO, as a beta software, ntfs.handler should go into storage, so if someone wants to try it, could simply move it to devs.

All of AROS would go into Storage by that judgement ;p

p.s - I already asked you for debug/serial output to identify why it breaks for you. Without that its almost impossible to replicate/pinpoint your problem.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 14:09

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Search