Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
22 user(s) are online (16 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 20

Yanosh, yogib33r, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

hello dev general questions

From Marseille
Group:
Hello,

I'm new on AROS dev, so I have newby questions to ask.
I'm also new on AROS EXEC so, hello all, happy new year. I've posted in "introduce yoursel" if you wanna know more.

So my questions :

I'd like to dev in C++ : is it possible ? what can you advice me ? what compilator should I use ? Is the "lx" command (that seems to allow us to launch linux commands) work really ? and the last one : is there a mini-gl port on AROS ?

my goal : make my code as OS-friendly AND as portable as possible. So C++ is really the perfect language AND can be helpful in my pro life !

Thanx all for the answers,
Cheers,
OAN3/The wet machine mechanics.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 11:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: hello dev general questions

Group:
@oan3

Welcome. I might suggest gimmearos on aros-archives to setup your cross-compiler dev environment on ubuntu, but I am not sure if it will work on 64bit ubuntu. I'll let others answer first.

Deadwood did an interface for users to access mesa on linux hosted but I'll leave it to others developers if the opengl calls still are accessible and function the same under a cross-compiler.

As amiga before AROS tends towards c but see nothing wrong in using C++ ie g++ but I know very little about this.

lx is a means of running Linux apps on hosted AROS. Not sure why you need this?

Have fun with aros...
Jeff

Posted on: 2013/1/15 22:03

Group:
Quote:

oan3 wrote:
is there a mini-gl port on AROS ?

We have a full MESA (OpenGL) implementation and a hardware 3D acceleration subsystem (Gallium3D) you can play with.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 0:43

From Marseille
Group:
Hello, thanx for the answers.

I need lx, bcoz I would like to try to use AROS as my main dev env on at least one computer.
Then, I need to be able to launch linux apps from inside my AROS. And for fun too. :)

I'm not sure which C or C++ I'll use.

I want to be portable between AROS/AOS3 and AOS4.
Seems AOS4 port of c++ is not very good, and C is better.

What do you think about that?

Thanx,
=
OAN3/The Wet Machine Mechanics

Posted on: 2013/1/16 1:28

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Quote:

oan3 wrote:
Then, I need to be able to launch linux apps from inside my AROS.

In that case AEROS should be of interest to you :)

Posted on: 2013/1/16 3:56

Group:
To state it more clearly, "lx" is only available for the aeros distribution, where the underlying OS is linux, and AROS is actually running hosted in that linux environment. lx is just communicating commands between the two operating systems to run the linux software. "lx" is not a linux emulator running under AROS.

If you want to develop for AROS, its generally easier to be running linux hosted AROS development environment, cross compiling the code. That's how most developers are doing it. The gimmearos script is a good start in that direction, building the cross compilers and hosted AROS environment, but gimmearos.sh might be out of date or not be completely compatible with any given linux distro. g++ is used to compile owb as well as some other AROS software. I'm not that familiar with C++, but if you were hoping for a rich set of C++ libraries or classes defined for the OS feature set, you'll be disappointed.

AROS Native compiling may be possible, but you're much more likely to run into bugs in the dev environment since it gets little testing and fixing by other developers.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 10:32

From Marseille
Group:
hello, thx for the answer.
this is the way i'm running AROS on my laptop under ubuntu x64. i did understand that lx is not cygwin (LINC? :)
i also have an old pc running native icaros.
i will follow the advice and try to install this env, maybe by hand if this .sh script does not make his job.
anyway, for the moment, i'm trying to master all those different environement work at least for the minimum (i also play a lot with amigaforever kxlight hd install, that's not so simple to handle, and Amikit that's great, but not funny because everything works very well).
thanx a lot, i'll follow the advice and come back for further questions when ready,
cheers,
oan3.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 3:15

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.