Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Does GREEK really work on IcarosDesktop???

Group:
Hi DoctorGalifrean,

I am probably stating the obvious here, but just in case someone ever come across this issue it might be helpfull.

If you change the fonts from 'normal' into a greek font and an application uses that font then indeed only the letters will change and nothing else but the letters. Would you change the _language_ of the underlying operating system into greek then the menu's, options and all that the OS and application(s) uses will change into real greek words. That is, provided that the OS is completly translated into greek as well as the application supporting that (language).

It's perfectly plausible that an application is programmed to only understand english and don't use so-called catalogs in order to support different languages (and so that it can be changed by the user).

Knowing this, it might also be understandable that although the underlying OS and/or application only understands english in their interface it might be perfectly OK for f.e. a texteditor to support another font/language by changing the _editors_ font only. But ofcourse that would only work if that _can_ be changed in the used application in the first place.

Would you change _that_ font into (in this case) greek, then it's up to you the writer to make sensible words out of what the font presents in the editor when letters are typed. The (OS/Application) interface in that case will still be presented in the language what was default (probably english).

I have never had to try this myself, so i do not know from mind if there exist an application (editor) for AROS that could do that.

This behaviour is no different from an say window editor in an office suite like LibreOffice and/or MS-Office. The interface remains presented in the default language but you are perfectly capable of changing the editor's fonts (and spelling etc.) in the language that you want to edit your text. Only the editors text/font is greek (or german/russian/chinese/jibberish).

In case such an editor is not availble (which can change the editors font only, and on the fly) then the only option left is making sure the complete OS is using the language you prefer. But even then it could happen the application itself (interface) is not translated into the selected language, but so that only the lettters are changed. This has similarity with the situation you just decribed.

In that case you as editor can still make up the words in the editor itself, it's just that the interface of the editor looks a bit funny. The edited text will present itself perfectly ok (provided that you followed the rules that we all agreed on to present a specific language like codepages etc.). So when you edit text in such a way it should be possible to view the result on another machine or OS. It just will not make any sense until the user that views that text (or it's used software) has support for greek.

In the hope it was usefull.

Posted on: 2013/1/27 7:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Quote:
DoctorGalifrean:
I don't want to replace everything (menus, names etc)
with greek words.

check.

Quote:
I just want the OS to give me the ability to write (and of course read) Greek.

Check... well... half of it

Quote:
To just support my language. To be able to open and read a greek txt.

check.

Quote:
I guess it's not possible...

Ofcourse it is possible (see picture)

- dowload this
- install the fonts into your FONTS: drawer
- Open editor
- Change font of editor
- open greek text
- read greek text, well... i assume it is greek. you tell me

Unfortunately only the courier font seems to work for me and i have no idea as of why.

Now for writing you are going to loose me as i don't have a greek keyboard (nor can i read or write greek), but it involves using a greek keymap (don't even know if we have that).

regards,

Attach file:

jpg  Greek-Read.JPG (184.15 KB)
2666_5105f546853d9.jpg 839X951 px

Posted on: 2013/1/27 19:50

Group:
@Magorium

Great link. I will add these fonts to next Icaros.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 1:22

From Norway
Group:
magorium: Thx for that. I will add it to AspireOS :)

Posted on: 2013/1/28 2:42

Group:
@nikolaos+paolone:
You're both more then welcome. Thank _you_ for your nice distro's

If any of you is in an experimental mood (i haven't tried these myself), might i suggest this page as well (look for amiga topic)?
There is file named AmiGR.lha which even contains more (greek) fonts and a keymap as well.

Like i said, my knowledge of greek is really zero so i can't tell if they are any good at all.

fwiw: greek is a special language when it comes to character encoding. This is because all greek letters are situated at ascii codes > 128 so they don't interfere with the 'normal' ascii characters. Therefore it is possible to combine the two into one font.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 9:26

From Norway
Group:
I can not get greek letters from chaning input to Elliniki

Posted on: 2013/1/28 10:14

Group:
Quote:
nikolaos wrote:
I can not get greek letters from chaning input to Elliniki

I'm gonna be very honest here: i have absolutely no clue. I suspect you have an usb keyboard.

And as i already figured out these do not use the 'normal' keymapping. It would be advisable to have someone that is knowledgeable on this topic to shed some light on how that exactly relates.

If you indeed have a usb keyboard you should 'map' your keys using trident. (but they will get lost every time on reboot or plugging in/out the keyboard).

Posted on: 2013/1/28 10:26

From Piraeus
Group:
Wow! Now we're talking :)
I'll try that!
Thank you very much magorium and all of you, guys!
Nikolaos, are you greek, or of greek descent?

Posted on: 2013/2/1 3:51

Group:
Sorry for bringing this old thread back but I would to inform all the Greek Aros users out there that I created a small guide of how to enable the Greek language in AROS, both reading and writing. Unfortunately, for the rest of you guys, the guide is in Greek.

In case you want to read it you can find it at Amiga.gr or at the following link http://t.co/4qSoZe7ard

Hope it helps. Also I would like to inform that I am creating a small team of volunteers that will translate Aros to Greek. If anyone is interested, send me a PM here.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 13:56

From Piraeus
Group:
You are the best!!
Can't wait to install Aros again in my old pentium4!
Thank you!

Posted on: 2013/12/29 1:45

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.