Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Papercuts

Group:
I would like to propose doing the papercuts project as an annual project..

Last time we fixed 88 small bugs. I think if we could do that annually the whole Aros experience would be better.

Any ideas?

Posted on: 2014/4/30 5:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Papercuts

From Hungary
Group:
I like the general idea, but I'd wait until deadwood's ABIv0-on-trunk branch becomes the mainline ABIv0 one. It might fix a lot of bugs currently present in the ABIv0 branch.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 5:42

Group:
Quote:

BSzili wrote:
I like the general idea, but I'd wait until deadwood's ABIv0-on-trunk branch becomes the mainline ABIv0 one. It might fix a lot of bugs currently present in the ABIv0 branch.

As much as I agree that Deadwood's backport may solve many issues. That rely's on a single developer. What was nice about the papercuts project last time is it had both the users and developers engaged. :)

Posted on: 2014/4/30 5:47

Group:
I think the suggestion was to wait and use deadwood's branch once it becomes main abi0 as a starting point for another round of papercuts rather than instead of.

Great idea (on both counts) in my opinion,

Posted on: 2014/4/30 7:40

From Hungary
Group:
A lot of new code will probably introduce some new bugs, but since it's going to replace the main ABIv0 branch, it could be duplicate work to fix bugs already fixed in ABIv0_on_trunk.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 7:53

Group:
An annual event seems to be an arbitrary time frame. Some devs might have a conflict with something called real life. Waiting for the update to ABIv0 makes sense, is the update expected in the summer or the fall, or in two more weeks (tm)?

Maybe a general paper-cuts bounty would do. Where Aros users could 'adopt a bug' and contribute to the fix of a specific bug on the paper-cuts list.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 9:51

Group:
Quote:
I would like to propose doing the papercuts project as an annual project..

That might be a good idea.

Quote:
Last time we fixed 88 small bugs. I think if we could do that annually the whole Aros experience would be better.

i agree.

Quote:
Any ideas?

Some valid arguments where already presented.

With respect to waiting for on-trunk to be become mainstream:

- i don't think terminills means, it becomes annual and things start right tomorrow. Besides that, wanderer is on the process of being updated, an 'updated' version of OWB is waiting as well as Magellan. Zune is being fixed upon etc., so where to draw the line ?

- there are enough 'bugs' present that are also present in on-trunk from deadwood. This does not automagically becomes fixed.

- on trunk might just as well introduce 'new' issues.

With respect to the general papercut idea:
Yes, make it an annual thing. It gives people something to look forward to (and prehaps work motivating, i dunno).

Cavemann is right when he writes that it could be problemetic for developers schedule.

In that case it could perhaps be an idea to let a developer 'take a pick' and work on that on a later date. Papercuts that are acknowledged but are left (or not addressed in time) could perhaps end up in a bounty (of papercut-leftovers), using a divide mechanism as earlier suggested, 10-20 bucks for each solve (ofcourse, if not too big issue to fix) might be a good idea in that case ?

I thought the last papercuts round worked pretty well, but that's only from a users point of view. I have no idea about how that worked for others involved.

just 2 cents,

Posted on: 2014/4/30 13:39

From Ireland
Group:
I think any new papercuts initiative would have to be based on ABIv1 or ABIv0-on-trunk. But we don't necessarily have to wait until they become "mainstream": users could still download and test the newer builds, or bugs reported against ABIv0 could be checked against ABIv1 before being accepted.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 16:38

Group:
I think the reason paper cuts worked last time because it was simple/straightforward and was something people could see/use immediately on their own aros systems.

It simply wont be as successful as last time if various clauses/conditions (for want of better terms) are required, nor if theres no incentive (like a user being able to have input to get their persnal everyday use aros annoyance fixed).

Posted on: 2014/4/30 17:01

From Poland
Group:
Dev
I agree with beezle that what drives the engagement is ability to immediately deploy the fixes into one's AROS system. On the other hand, I don't see any point in making fixes to ABIv0 branch anymore.

My proposal would be to use Icaros WIP to report on problems and test back fixes. The fixes would be published via my builds. This way people who are willing to go for the extra effort of installing WIP would get their paparcuts fixed and once Icaros WIP is officially released, everyone would be able to join in.

Posted on: 2014/4/30 22:28

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.