Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

Pasquale, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Icaros Desktop 2.0 caveats and work-arounds

From Ireland
Group:
To make things a bit easier, I want to list in one place some of the low-level bugs that might affect people installing the new version of Icaros Desktop, and how to work around them:

• The native SATA/AHCI driver doesn't always work. If you get errors related to ahci.device, try disabling it. Press E when your chosen boot entry is highlighted in the GRUB menu, scroll down to the ahci.device entry, and delete it with Ctrl-K. Then press Ctrl-X to boot. If your disk isn't accessible at all with this change, you might need to change the SATA controller to IDE legacy mode in the BIOS: however, making this change will likely cause problems booting Windows on the same machine (if it's already installed). To disable ahci.device permanently, edit the text file "SYS:Arch/pc/grub/grub/cfg", and remove the ahci.device line from all boot entries you intend to use.

• The ATA driver doesn't always work. If you get errors related to ata.device, try using the alternative, older version provided: Press E when your chosen boot entry is highlighted in the GRUB menu, scroll down to the ata.device entry, and change it to read "module /Devs/Alt/ata.device". Then press Ctrl-X to boot. To make this change permanent, edit the text file "SYS:Arch/pc/grub/grub/cfg", and change the path to ata.device in all boot entries you intend to use.

• Obsolete - The AROS NTFS filesystem driver doesn't always work. In some cases, ntfs-handler locks up during boot if you have NTFS (i.e. "Windows") partitions on your PC. To disable ntfs-handler, move it from "L:" to "SYS:Storage". Icaros Desktop will use a new NTFS3G handler, which does not share the same problems. This workaround is still good for older icaros desktop versions and for AROS in general, when the old AROS NTFS handler is used.

• Obsolete, themes were fixed in Icaros 2.0.3. Just disabled themeing if you need that with the Theme prefs program - AROS won't boot when some themes are selected. Avoid choosing the os3.1 or mason themes. If you want a similar appearance to the os3.1 theme, move "C:Decoration" to "SYS:Storage". If you've already selected a broken theme, you can recover the situation as follows:

1. Boot from your installation media.
    2. Move "AROS:C/Decoration" as described above.
    3. Reboot from your HD, and select a working theme.
    4. Restore "Decoration" to its original location ("C:").

• The "noacpi" boot option causes all PCI devices to be invisible to AROS. Although disk drives may still work, network, sound etc. drivers won't.

• Changing video resolution may cause a crash, especially when using the Intel GMA driver. I'm not sure if the new resolution will still be saved for the next boot. If not, you can work around the problem by temporarily switching to Wanderer in Icaros preferences.

• Some VirtualBox settings are incompatible with AROS. Do not select ICH9 or ICH6 chipsets, nor SATA drives. Only use AC97 audio.

I'll probably add to this and/or correct it where necessary.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 11:53

Edited by ncafferkey on 2014/11/19 9:16:54
Edited by paolone on 2016/1/28 3:19:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Icaros Desktop 2.0 caveats and work-arounds

Group:
Thank you very much ncafferkey.

Usually one would make such vital information a sticky thread, but alas ... I'll bookmark instead

PS: not directly AROS, but since it is desktop by default, please also note this post from BSzili about Magellan and ftp module crash.

PPS: @paolone: thanks mate, i didn't know that was possible.

Posted on: 2014/11/7 12:00

Edited by magorium on 2014/11/7 12:22:01
Edited by magorium on 2014/11/7 12:52:46

Group:
Well, let's stick it. Thanks for writing this, Neil!

Posted on: 2014/11/7 12:27

From Poland
Group:
Dev
@Neil

Thank you for creating this list!

Posted on: 2014/11/8 0:30

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
I can't get Icaros to work with my keyboard & mouse. No response whatsoever. The keyboard works fine from the grub menu and then when I get the desktop screen, none of the keys or mouse & mouse buttons work.

I have a Logitech G19 keyboard with the mouse plugged into the USB hub on the keyboard.

Is there a quick workaround/fix for this problem? Do you require any additional information?

Posted on: 2014/11/8 17:06

Group:
hi tallguy297:
As you might have noticed the title as well as the contents of the thread, why did you choose to pollute with a generic question ?

I only ask as there are so many others too choose from

To get your logitec keyboard to work, re-plugin the keyboard.

Do you by any chance have the keyboard itself plugged into a hub as well ? If so, loose the hub.

Another think you might want to try is attach your keyboard onto another usb-header. Try switching and see if that helps.

Usually this kind of thing happen when something else on the header is messing things up. And as you might be aware, that keyboard/moue combi is pretty demanding as well.

You could also take a look into your bios, and try to shut off advanced powermanagement for usb. It seems that sometimes it can interfere.

@moderator: feel free to move/delete my post at will.

Posted on: 2014/11/8 17:29

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

magorium wrote:
Do you by any chance have the keyboard itself plugged into a hub as well ? If so, loose the hub.

Or even better, plug it out completely

Another thing to try is to change "legacy USB" settings in the BIOS, if available.

Quote:

And as you might be aware, that keyboard/moue combi is pretty demanding as well.

Why is it demanding?

Posted on: 2014/11/8 17:34

Group:
@ncafferkey:
Sorry, i should have articulated better "loose the hub" in my understanding means, throw it out the window

It is demanding because it eats a lot of power when the lights and screen is turned on. It comes with a hub of its own that offers a connection for a high resolution mouse.

I noticed when playing with it under AROS that it seems to loose the connection after a while (and once in a while).

Posted on: 2014/11/8 17:43

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Firstly, my apologies. I don't usually look at forums. I haven't had the need so far that is until now. So I probably should have done a more thorough search before posting on this topic.

That being said, I took your advice.
1) Switching USB ports on my PC did not have the desired result. Still no keyboard or mouse. I don't use a USB hub unless they're powered but I have enough USB ports on the front & back, why bother with more.
2) I unplugged my mouse from the keyboard and straight into a USB2 port on my PC. Same result. No Mouse. I even tried the USB3 ports just in case but til no avail.
3) There doesn't appear to be a setting in my power management for the USB keyboard or mouse apart from a general wakeup if there is a key or button pressed.

Also I did noticed that after I booted from DVD and select the default option, the screen cleared and loaded up what I assumed are driver and settings, but I did notice briefly a whole lot of ACPI errors - device not found etc.
I disabled the acpi library from loading but did not make any difference. I also tried disabling the USBHID & HUB driver, no difference.

I'll browse this forum, perhaps someone has come up with a solution.

Thanks...

Posted on: 2014/11/8 21:57

From Ireland
Group:
@tallguy297

It sounds like AROS just doesn't support USB on your PC unfortunately. Probably the best we can do is ask for details of your motherboard/computer model so we can test similar hardware in the future.

@magorium
It seems I need to spell out my sarcasm: there is a four-letter word, "lose", that would have been more suitable in your original sentence. I didn't want tallguy297 to get the impression he should merely make the hub's contact with the USB port less tight

Posted on: 2014/11/8 22:25

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.