Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

Yanosh, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

AROS 2016 Survey

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Hi,

We would like to understand how AROS is used by its users. Below you can find some questestions that will give us some insight. Please answer as many as you can. Don't worry if you can't answer all, even one answer will provide the information about AROS user base.

1. How long do you use AROS weekly?

2. What is the way you use AROS (multiple selection allowed):
a) AROS Linux hosted
b) AROS Native on real hardware
c) AROS Native on virtual hardware
d) AROS 68k under Win/FS UAE
e) Other (please describe)

3. What are your 3 main activities in AROS?

4. Think about the things that would make you use AROS more? Please be descriptive, but focus on things you,not community would need nor "in general would be needed" - in sense that if it was available, you would use AROS more.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 1:10

Edited by deadwood on 2016/5/29 22:12:43
Edited by deadwood on 2016/5/29 22:15:12
Edited by deadwood on 2016/5/29 22:15:49
Edited by deadwood on 2016/5/29 22:17:19

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: AROS 2016 Survey

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Here are my answers to start off:

Around 20 hours

a) AROS Linux hosted

- Listening to Internet radio in MPlayer
- Browsing Amiga-related web pages in Odyssey
- Using IRC in WookieChat

4. Think about the things that would make you use AROS more? Please be descriptive, but focus on things you,not community, would need - in sense that if it was available, you would use AROS more.

- Basic native development stack (gcc, make, sh) with features, stability and performance equal to Linux versions
- Ability to nativelly debug using gdb
- Text editor with tabs support and C syntax highlighting -> EdiSyn
- Minimalistic port of Thunderbird or ability to read and write Thunderbind mail data files from existing AROS mail applications
- Ability to share directories (read/write) on host with AROS running on VirtualBox
- RSS reader with internal HTML viewer or redirection to Odyssey

Posted on: 2016/5/29 1:13

Edited by deadwood on 2016/5/31 11:17:08

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org

From Italy
Group:

Around 35 hours

b) AROS Native on real hardware (IcAROS)

- Browsing internet with OWB (Amiga related and other)
- Watch Youtube with OWB
- Email with YAM

4. Think about the things that would make you use AROS more?
- Utilities that make life easy like a full working 7zip decoder
- A working pc emulator where I can run Windows/dos utilities not available on AROS
- Newsgroup reader like Newscoaster
- A full working port of Proquake.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 3:49

From Daoulas (Finistère, France)
Group:

- Depends, from a few minutes (most of the weeks) to several hours (rarely more than five hours).

e.1) x86_64-abiv1-darwin-hosted at home, compiled from svn (when my MacBook is alive... It's being repaired currently);

e.2) mingw32-hosted at work (both abis are installed, they are a few months old nightly builds).

- Test programs that I write or port at the time;
- Try improvements on the system by other developers.

4. Think about the things that would make you use AROS more? Please be descriptive, but focus on things you,not community, would need - in sense that if it was available, you would use AROS more.

- build system working natively as it does on Linux;
- svn, to feed the build system;
- native debug tools;
- a native C editor as cool to use as XCode;
- a mean to play my flac files towards my fiio e17k;
- a native bit-torrent client...

Posted on: 2016/5/29 4:06

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Deadwood,

Well, the Samsung goes on when I sit down at work (8:15 am) and goes off at home time (4:40 pm to be back to do the school run), 5 days a week so that's about 43 hours, plus times in the evenings and weekends - say 60 hours per week.

Work - DTP (PageStream), spreadsheet (FinalCalc), graphics processing (various), occasional database (MUIBase), PDF viewing and converting (APDF, GhostScript) (the initial 2 obviously via Janus).

Programming - was for hobby but has been rather taken over by stuff for work at the moment (write and test a Hollywood program on AROS and then compile and distribute for Windows - wonderful...)

Comms & entertainment - web browsing (OWB), e-mail (YAM), music and films (mplayer).

What I'd really love are properly native office apps for AROS. My ultimate would be a native PageStream, but given the total lack of development there for the last decade... I believe Finalwriter is still on the way, and are they looking at FinaCalc too? If anyone from Airsoft is looking in here, any chance of a native AROS verison of Designer?

In terms of the AROS system, I think one key thing would be relly beneficial is to have USB sound cards working, which would allow a much wider range of laptops to be usable (most seem fine with at least VESA graphics and a wireless USB, but audio seems quite luck of the drawer). Not an issue for me at the moment, but could be in the future if any of my current mahcines 'die'.

I'd also love to see AROS running natively on Pi. Next year we are starting a HNC in Electrical Engineering , and there are units around microprocessor systems and control. I'm pretty sure we'll be using Pi, and I'd much rather be working with nice simple AROS on it than the complexities of Linux. I honestly believe that the simplicity and lightweight nature of AROS would make it ideal for education.

As you know, I'm looking at robotics and control through ethernet; there are a lot more options for doing this via USB, but not possible on AROS due to lack if support in the USB stack. What about a simple mechanism of accesing the stack not just through C but also simpler languages such as through rexx or Hollywood which could be linked in to contollers such as the PicAxe? Position AROS as a 'maker' OS for experimentation in robotics and control?

I may be back to edit this after a bit more time for thought...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 5:25

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Thanks for the comments.

@all

please post if you have not done so yet

Posted on: 2016/5/29 6:46

www.aros3d.org

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Quote:

ntromans wrote:

In terms of the AROS system, I think one key thing would be relly beneficial is to have USB sound cards working, which would allow a much wider range of laptops to be usable (most seem fine with at least VESA graphics and a wireless USB, but audio seems quite luck of the drawer). Not an issue for me at the moment, but could be in the future if any of my current mahcines 'die'.

Just for clarification, having an USB sound cards support would not really make you use AROS more, correct?

Posted on: 2016/5/29 6:55

www.aros3d.org

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Quote:
Just for clarification, having an USB sound cards support would not really make you use AROS more, correct?

Not at the moment - but it could potentially be a barrier in the future if having to migrate to a new laptop.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Edit: Reflecting on this, the native apps probably woudn't make too much impact on the amount I use AROS, but might encourage my children to use it more for homework and suchlike.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 7:16

Edited by ntromans on 2016/5/29 9:27:33

Group:
I added a copy of your Survey here:

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=55328

I know some People there are interested in AROS 68k but dont have an account here.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 7:23

From Sweden
Group:

1: from 1-2 hours to marathon use depending on mood.

2:

3:
Testing, Testdevelop, NIL

4:
I would use AROS more I think, if I where able to
1. use a truly easy way to create stuff for it. for example an HTMLApp engine based on OWB with filesupport but no direct netsupporting functions or a Javascript with HTML5 GUI engine if you so like.

2. If some things where redesigned in Icaros for example, it feels a bit like in the old days, apps and programs are shattered a bit throughout the drive that works when you use a Amiga with a 10 to 30 MB HD.
But when you have lots of files it becomes harder, for example the location systemfiles should be under a system location, "service" applications perhaps should be in service location (under system?) and so forth...

3. Various user applications perhaps? a decsent tracker clone with editing and possibility to use high end samples or instruments.

Posted on: 2016/5/29 7:36

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.