Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

morpa, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Bounty system

Group:
I'm aware that there's a GIT mirror; I'm just not aware of its status. I'll happily add an explanation on GIT to the repository html page, but I don't know
1 Who can use it for what;
2 How the SVN and GIT parts work together;
3 What a young GIT needs to know about using if for contributing to AROS.
(I see we also have anonymous SVN again. What do we need to document on that?)

Mysha
(Or is that a list issue? I'll read it there as well.)

Posted on: 5/14 8:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Mysha wrote:
Hi,

Regarding the Bounty system: Bounty systems exist because, unless you're part of a patron system (like a job), it's difficult to match up skill and time with a reward for time spent

Exactly

Quote:

Any bounty system will suffer from (Erm, how not to assume the worst?) the Tibet problem. If it's pay-on-completion, then the person who went to Tibet for seven years can't be asked to pay up; if it's request-and-pay then that same traveller can't be reached when the request becomes void through changing circumstances.
Some systems are better in handling this than others. If the current system is not really good in handling this, are we able to update the system? How? And what could we do about bounties that are stuck in their wait for the Day of Days?

Personally I have no issue with the existing bounty system, even if we currently lack developers interested or able to take on bounties, regardless of people’s rants - just because they want something done ASAP doesn’t mean it will ever be the case. Different people have different priorities and interests/abilities.

I am also not happy with individuals trying to usurp this for their own ends. Having a 3rd party non-profit organisation deal with it is more preferable than individuals who can and will abuse it for their own agenda.

Quote:

Are there any bounties that are stuck? If so, which, and is there a way to indicate that a bounty is now in disfavour?

You can contact power2people, but at the end of the day you only legally can change what your own donations are used for - it’s inappropriate to try and dictate what happens to other people’s money that have put into a bounty in good faith. While I can have understand people’s frustration when something they want doesn’t happen, I don’t agree with the somewhat childish attitude of ‘stamping your feet’ about it. P.s I’m not accusing you of this, but highlighting how some people in the community behave when they don’t get what they want, when they want it.

Quote:

Regarding the recruiting of developers: What problems does the new developer face at the moment? Are these organic, or are they organisational?

People have used the lack of ‘organisation’ as excuses in the past, however it has never actually impacted AROS’s development. It is an open source operating system and developed as a hobby by the people who have contributed - where they work on what interests them, not what they aren’t told to work on. We have had problems in the past with people trying to jump in and change this - but it only serves to undermine the development model of AROS and cause angst, it is not productive.

To be clear.. AROS needs more developers for sure, but we aren’t interested in people who just want to join the project and appear to be a chief, especially those who only criticise how things work in the project and don’t offer any real benefit to the project (other than trying to make a name for themselves)

The biggest problem appears to be people’s inability to join an existing project, and work within its development model without trying to force everything to change to ‘their way’ of doing things- this seems to be particularly true of people coming from the Amiga community sadly.

Posted on: 5/14 9:00

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Mysha wrote:
I'm aware that there's a GIT mirror; I'm just not aware of its status. I'll happily add an explanation on GIT to the repository html page, but I don't know
1 Who can use it for what;
2 How the SVN and GIT parts work together;
3 What a young GIT needs to know about using if for contributing to AROS.
(I see we also have anonymous SVN again. What do we need to document on that?)

Mysha
(Or is that a list issue? I'll read it there as well.)

Really these things should be discussed on the developer mailing list, since not all developers are interested in hanging around on what is a 3rd party forum, so any discussion is biased to the ones that do, or people who don’t even contribute (e.g users)

Posted on: 5/14 9:02

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Marlon wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
You are aware there is a git mirror of the repo yes? The reason we have stuck with svn is because any of the other versioning tools developers ‘prefer to use’ support accessing svn, however they do not support each other.

I am aware of the git mirror, but you can't really do pull requests to a mirror, right? Which completely defeats the purpose of git. Or does the mirror work both ways?

Jason expressed that he would look at merging pull request when this was set up (diffs against the tree can be applied regardless of the used versioning tools) however his involvement in the project Is pretty much 0 these days due to his new employers rules.

Posted on: 5/14 9:11

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
P.s - these are (mostly) my opinions and observations having contributed to AROS for the best part of 20years, and may not reflect those of other devs. Likewise I am not dictating anything, nor do I control any of the aspects - AROS is a co-operative effort and all devs have the same authority within the project. Sadly some people just can’t work in that way, or are unable to argue their case and act childish when it doesn’t go the way they want.

P.p.s - sorry for the editing but I am stuck with only mobile phone access presently, and predictive text/auto completion is a royal p.i.t.a

Posted on: 5/14 9:21

From Sweden
Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
Quote:

Marlon wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
You are aware there is a git mirror of the repo yes? The reason we have stuck with svn is because any of the other versioning tools developers ‘prefer to use’ support accessing svn, however they do not support each other.

I am aware of the git mirror, but you can't really do pull requests to a mirror, right? Which completely defeats the purpose of git. Or does the mirror work both ways?

Jason expressed that he would look at merging pull request when this was set up (diffs against the tree can be applied regardless of the used versioning tools) however his involvement in the project Is pretty much 0 these days due to his new employers rules.

Alright, thanks for clarification. I'm not trying to step on some toes. I just suggested git as main revision system as it seems to work out for the better for other projects.

Posted on: 5/14 9:23

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Marlon wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
Quote:

Marlon wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:

Alright, thanks for clarification. I'm not trying to step on some toes. I just suggested git as main revision system as it seems to work out for the better for other projects.

I understand your view, but as said - there’s no one ‘prefered’ Versioning tool. I like GitHub, but it has legal ramifications that aren’t compatable with some aspects of developing AROS.

Also from my own experience using git isn’t always that great, and when something goes wrong (which inevitably it does with something as large as AROS) - it can become very complicated to fix.

For good or for worse, we agreed to go with the common denominator

Posted on: 5/14 9:27

Group:
Hi,

> Is the AROS wikibook maintained?
Not that I know of.

> Should it be killed to eliminate multiple conflicting sources of information?

Mostly, we need to decide what to do with it. If we want to use the wiki-ness, then we should have (almost) all our documentation there, harvesting mature pages (licenses allowing) so our offline documentation develops as well. In that case we need it actively maintained.
If we just want it for online-book-hood, then we develop the docs in the SVN, and pump out stable pages to the online-book. That just needs a warning that others may temporarily scribble what they will, there. (You'd actually want a different wiki (if at all), or different settings for that; the content would have to be protected and the scribbling would be done in the comment area, much like the wikiwikiweb had it.)

> communicating an up-to-date roadmap, especially areas that need work

We seem to find it difficult to communicate that on the level of doable chunks.

> encouraging new developers and ensuring "getting started" documentation is up to date

Having "Getting started" information to begin with.

> What does everyone think?

We're rarely attracting that kind of people. Best you can do is pick one of these goals, and a level of activity that you're comfortable with to strive for that goal yourself. It's the involvement of large numbers of people that might make it work. (Chicken and egg, of course.)

Mysha

Posted on: 5/14 9:31

From Sweden
Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
I understand your view, but as said - there’s no one ‘prefered’ Versioning tool. I like GitHub, but it has legal ramifications that aren’t compatable with some aspects of developers by AROS.

Also from my own experience using git isn’t always that great, and when something goes wrong (which inevitably it does with something as large as AROS) - it can become very complicated to fix.

Yeah, I know. Everyone has their preferred tool. Same goes with everything. Git just feels like a more modern and efficient tool when working together, that's all. Is github really that strict when it comes to reverse engineering? I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of reverse engineered projects on there.

Posted on: 5/14 9:32

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Marlon wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
I understand your view, but as said - there’s no one ‘prefered’ Versioning tool. I like GitHub, but it has legal ramifications that aren’t compatable with some aspects of developers by AROS.

Yeah, I know. Everyone has their preferred tool. Same goes with everything. Git just feels like a more modern and efficient tool when working together, that's all. Is github really that strict when it comes to reverse engineering? I'm pretty sure I've seen a couple of reverse engineered projects on there.

Unfortunately that was the conclusion drawn when this has been discussed on the mailing list. Not only do you have to consider the rules of GitHub, but also laws due to where the code is hosted.

Posted on: 5/14 9:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]