Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

4pLaY, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: installer?

Group:
Good! I wonder, though, if there are actual installation scripts available to i386 applications. You'd maybe be interested into a 68K build, so classic Amiga apps could be tested under AROS M68K.

Posted on: 6/27 1:11

From Sweden
Group:
Yes, that could be worthwhile. Unfortunately I don't have the build environment required for doing that.

It runs nicely on MorphOS though. And I have the tools needed to build MorphOS binaries. Perhaps that could serve the same purpose?

Or is there some ready made environment for build / test on Aros68k?

Posted on: 6/27 1:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
A long time ago I talked to someone, who also reimplemented the Installer (I guess installerng?, but can't remember). The problem for him was, that the original C= installer has quite some "bugs" or not-obvious features, which a clean room installer might not have.

So I guess a 100% replacement is not possible.

I once contacted the original developers of the C= installer (Joe Pearce and David Joiner), but was not able to get the sources from them. They don't have the original contracts any more and so it is unclear, whether they are allowed to release the sources (If they can find them at all somewhere).

The C= installer was not really a C= installer, but just bought by C= and it was never really developed by Commodore. It started as the "Music-X version 1.1 installer" by Sylvan Technical Arts, which then was contracted by C= do do an OS version, if I remember right. Maybe it was the other way around .

Just some quote from the original authors:
"not a terribly sophisticated program"
"the installer is not a very elegant program"

So anyway, the original sources are lost as it seams.

Some information is here, too:
https://medium.com/@dreamertalin/the-h ... -adventure-2-c3a17ac02378

Posted on: 6/27 1:56

From Sweden
Group:
Interesting, I knew nothing about the history of the installer until now.

And I, just like the developer you talked to, also noticed that the original installer has its quirks. It does the job though, and has been doing it for 25 years, respect :)

A 100% replacement might not be possible in the sense that it should behave exactly like the original. If it would be possible to execute 99% of all installer scripts that would be nice though. But then I'm assuming that most scripts aren't exploring the dark corners of the original :)

Posted on: 6/27 2:09

From Norway
Group:
Good if we get the installer working. As you say STix it does the job.

Posted on: 6/27 2:29

Group:
@sTix

Good news! An installer, that is compatible to the original one, would be a nice and helpful addition.

Posted on: 6/27 4:34

Group:
Quote:

sTix wrote:
Yes, that could be worthwhile. Unfortunately I don't have the build environment required for doing that.

It runs nicely on MorphOS though. And I have the tools needed to build MorphOS binaries. Perhaps that could serve the same purpose?

Sorry. To build a program for AROS 68K, you can target it for a common AmigaOS M68K compile. This should already make your 68K binary compatible to AROS M68K.

Posted on: 6/27 4:56

Group:
Quote:

sTix wrote:

there is such an environment. its aros build system. i assume you have a linux environment you use to cross compile or do you natively? whats the system you work with?

refer to aros site compilation section to ensure you have all necessary packages on your host, then you actually just need to check out aros source, mkdir some build folder outside it, configure for target=amiga-m68k and make.

http://aros.sourceforge.net/documentation/developers/compiling.php

(i have already posted a build instruction on this very site but im now too tired to search for it.)

as result you will have bin/amiga-m68k/AROS folder in your build directory. using uae for testing treat this folder as an aros hd, also link rom images within /boot subdir in your use prefs. thats usually enough for most testing.

Posted on: 6/27 10:21

Group:
i might get my act together and assemble vmware disk image along with aros build system uae and some instructions one day. just not sure what would be most minimal linux distro below lubuntu that still provides usual set of packages one needs to develop. im not a linux crack sorry to say.

Posted on: 6/27 10:25

From Sweden
Group:
Very nice, I still haven't looked into how the AROS build systems works. I haven't read all the documentation either I'm afraid. I should do definitely do that.

I do most development on Linux, primarily because of Valgrind and Bison in this case. When I build AROS binaries, I do so natively, using a VM with Icaros Desktop.

I just did some 'installer script' hunting on Aminet and it seems I will be busy for a while before I try Aros68k. Something about dark corners and so on... :)

Posted on: 6/27 13:03

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.