Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

morpa, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 »

Re: Odyssey web browser future

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
people like me.. sigh.. are there, all of you, you simply need to try to put more effort in where your priorities are. many if not most of people here have some it background. put is to some use. what actually may be sparce are knowledgeable and talented coders. or are they hiding in the bush.

All I know is for now I have done as much as I am able, and wont be doing any more until I have workable hardware. I tried booting my machine for giggles but got presented with this ..

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 5/4 14:02

Group:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
just to stress this again, im not a programmer, im just a regular guy without much expertise trying to help with some work. what i do, practically anybody else could do as well.

You are both selling yourself short and vastly overestimating the abilities of average end users.

Posted on: 5/4 21:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Norway
Group:
A-Siegel: +1

It is still right what wava say that people can do more to help.
In my experience almost noone does bug reporting, beta-testing.
Gfx-work like icons, themes, wallpapers, patters we see very little of.
Promote AROS with videos of your system. Maybe just show how you use it. At least could put up some screenshots of your workbench.
Money to support and motivate developers. Contact them and make a deal. Even if AROS is open source it is possible to have commercial software and earn money.

Posted on: 5/5 1:30

Edited by nikolaos on 2018/5/5 2:19:57

Group:
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:
You are both selling yourself short and vastly overestimating the abilities of average end users.

i really dont want to talk so much about myself, but i can assure you that even though im trying to contribute since years, im so dumb that i cannot even grasp basic c concepts let alone write a "hello world" without template. i can hold a brush and smear some colors onto a painting, but all this time since i engaged with bernd_r on sdl and storm mesa or later with jason and toni testing aros on my amigas i couldnt and wouldnt dare to commit anything without someone looking after me. lately it was kalamatee, and anything actually educated beyond stubborn testing and recompiling, stealing snippets from the net and dumb typing stuff must be attributed to him.

therefore im pretty certain than even someone who does some net coding is much better suited for the task. what i think puts people off is that it is severly time consuming and may not be very rewarding.

Posted on: 5/5 2:02

Group:
@ wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:

therefore im pretty certain than even someone who does some net coding is much better suited for the task. what i think puts people off is that it is severly time consuming and may not be very rewarding.

If you think it is so easy, feel free to write a tutorial how less technically suave users can get involved and still help. I suppose many simply do not know where to start even if they would be interested to do so.

By the way, are you compiling AROS-Odyssey 1.25 with WebKit r187682 for big endian platforms?

Posted on: 5/5 2:13

From Norway
Group:
wawa: Dumb you are not. It is just a matter of learning and doing things again and again to be good at it.

Some say that talent is a huge factor. I kind of disagree as in most cases it is the one that trains most, and in the right way that get best.
People are more simelar than some think.

Posted on: 5/5 2:24

Edited by nikolaos on 2018/5/5 3:07:21

Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
wawa: Thank you for your work on this. Is it possible for you to compile a version for i386 where you include the video, html 5 part?

Thank you in advance.

Quote:
support and motivate developers.

as example. it is really very easy to compile aros. and to compile odyssey with it.

all you need is a linux environment, for instance one in virtual machine, such as vmware player.

i mostly use lubuntu as of current.

all you then need is to "apt-get install" necessary packages, check out aros source via svn, which all is in detail described on aros homepage in the "compiling" section. then you issue "configure" with some options for your architecture and hit "make". i, and certainly others, can walk you through that, if you hit a wall.

similarly you can git clone/checkout my odyssey repository to a sub folder of your aros source. one thing is you will have to copy newer icu diffs and edit makefiles to build it, before. and then you simply type
"make local-odyssey" in your shell.

enabling video is just a matter of a flag in odyssey makefile. i cant guarantee it builds, but im not sure why it shouldnt.

Posted on: 5/5 2:32

Group:
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:
@ wawa

If you think it is so easy, feel free to write a tutorial how less technically suave users can get involved and still help. I suppose many simply do not know where to start even if they would be interested to do so.

im already spending so much time on it, i really shouldnt.. besides i wrote such tutorials, afair on amiga-codeing.net and elsewhere, even the one cited by jason is based on that, and ive been repeatedly advising just anyone that really tries to compile aros themselves and will be doing so.

Quote:
By the way, are you compiling AROS-Odyssey 1.25 with WebKit r187682 for big endian platforms?

yes. im working on the latest deadwoods branch. here is the link again:
https://github.com/wawatok/OdysseyWebB ... r/commits/odyssey-r187682

it compiles for ppc but i have not yet found a way to test it under qemu, and postponed it as many other things after i get it fully compiling for m68k, where im now stuck on about 95%, namely in mui front end. im kind of progressing still, but very slow.

Posted on: 5/5 3:15

Edited by wawa on 2018/5/5 3:47:41

Group:
@ wawa

Quote:

kas1e, who, interestingly enough, also says of himself that he is not a developer, successfully compiled it for another big endian platform and OS (PowerPC) two or three years ago.

While he had managed to generate a working executable, it almost immediately crashed due to endianess problems in Webkit so - from a user's perspective - it was essentially useless, thus was never released.

kas1e also quite clearly stated that fixing the endianess issues required a profound level of technical knowledge, time and determination that he himself lacked.

As far as I understand, you started this endeavour to eventually be able to run Odyssey on 68K-compatible hardware. If this is your priority, you should most certainly switch to an older version of Odyssey / Webkit that is already known to have been fully adapted for big endian processor architectures.

As it is, you are on your way to produce a 68k executable that, like kas1e's PowerPC version, will be of no real use to anybody.

Posted on: 5/5 3:48

Group:
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:
@ wawa

Quote:

kas1e, who, interestingly enough, also says of himself that he is not a developer, successfully compiled it for another big endian platform and OS (PowerPC) two or three years ago.

While he had managed to generate a working executable, it almost immediately crashed due to endianess problems in Webkit so - from a user's perspective - it was essentially useless, thus was never released.

there is kas1e branch in deadwoods repo. i also read some of his comments. i hope ill be able review and incorporate his input at some point.

so far i undestand most of endian offending code is javascript engine related. so the browser might initially work either on non js sites or with js disabled on big endian systems. from there on it could be looked into. you have yourself pointed me to a patch, remember?

Quote:

kas1e also quite clearly stated that fixing the endianess issues required a profound level of technical knowledge, time and determination that he himself lacked.

yes. i believe it might be beyond his skills, and if so then certainly beyond mine. but even then he delivered a lot on all fronts. give me still some time till i give up myself.

Quote:

As far as I understand, you started this endeavour to eventually be able to run Odyssey on 68K-compatible hardware. If this is your priority, you should most certainly switch to an older version of Odyssey / Webkit that is already known to have been fully adapted for big endian processor architectures.

again, there already is a browser based on older version of webkit in aros contributions. it is szymczyks aros owb. and it is working on m68k, even though js needs to be disabled, to avoid crash. which indicates that endian issues may have existed already ten years ago.

speaking of which, aros owb also needs to be slightly updated, but thats another matter.

Quote:

As it is, you are on your way to produce a 68k executable that, like kas1e's PowerPC version, will be of no real use to anybody.

may be. i have taken it into account to start with. especially that i expect odyssey to be too heavy for any real m68k to run on anyway. at least for the time being. interestingly someone fixed webkit compilation for debian m68k few years ago, with a patch i have borrowed from. wonder why they would do that actually.

anyway, thats my problem. my interest is m68k, not x86, not x64, not ppc, which i all try to contribute to by the way as long as it suits all platforms.

Posted on: 5/5 4:48

« 1 ... 14 15 16 (17) 18 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.