Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

ntromans, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 26 »

Re: Odyssey web browser future

Group:
Quote:

wawa wrote:

so far i undestand most of endian offending code is javascript engine related. so the browser might initially work either on non js sites or with js disabled on big endian systems. from there on it could be looked into. you have yourself pointed me to a patch, remember?

The patches I referenced are all related to very specific Webkit revisions that have never been used with Odyssey on any processor architecture...

(The proper approach would be getting one of them to work on AROS i386 first. Once this is done, you could apply the big endian patch and test on AROS 68K.)

Quote:
give me still some time till i give up myself.

Just for the record, nothing in my post should be taken as encouragement to give up on the general idea. I made a constructive suggestion on what to focus on in order to minimize the risk of burning out before you accomplish something tangible that users can run and cherish.

Quote:
anyway, thats my problem. my interest is m68k, not x86, not x64, not ppc, which i all try to contribute to by the way as long as it suits all platforms.

As long as you know and understand what you are getting yourself into, please go ahead and enjoy yourself.

In the past, you voiced surprise that there was seemingly underwhelming interest among users and other developers for your efforts, but given the high risk of failure (unless you change focus on a different but older and less modern Webkit revision, which similar platforms have been using for years) and focus on 68K, this seems perfectly plausible to me at this stage of development.

If/when you produce a 68K version that runs reasonably stable and you reach the point when you are ready to not merely port but improve the browser and / or update Webkit, this is when I am sure more people who are outside the 68K camp will take this seriously.

Anyway, I sincerely wish you good luck.

Posted on: 5/5 7:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
@A-Siegel
you know what? my main problem atm is not the webkit cores, but morphos mui code. if you are not satisfied with my approach and its preferencies i would be pleased to add you or anyone who wants to, as a contributor to the repository.

currently i already have odyssey code compiling 100% for 68k. okay i disabled 2 functions that i dont expect to be essential, i know that i will have to fix up vapor.h and i have 2 linking issues left before i can even think of testing it.

Posted on: 5/6 0:32

Group:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
if you are not satisfied with my approach and its preferencies

I am happy to see you work on whatever you feel like working on. I am not trying to convince you to do anything.

I just wanted to ensure that you were aware of certain things. So, in case you do run into endianess issues, you know what they are and how to potentially address them (such as switching Webkit versions).

As a software user, I have zero plans to ever run a 68K version of Odyssey so one might think I could not care less if you never released a working executable. But, as a human being, I would prefer to see your hard work produce something of value. That was the reason I commented.

Quote:
i would be pleased to add you or anyone who wants to, as a contributor to the repository.

Thanks. I hope you find collaborators.

Personally, I am already contributing to a different repository and I see absolutely no value in switching to this one.

Posted on: 5/6 3:16

Group:
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:
Personally, I am already contributing to a different repository and I see absolutely no value in switching to this one.

ideally there would be common approach for all platforms, but i dont really expect morphos developers to share and i understand and respect their decision.

Posted on: 5/6 4:37

From Madrid
Group:
Quote:

sabbate wrote:
thank you x-vision

Not at all ;) . Kalamatee deserve this and a lot more (I cannot give more atm, but maybe soon I will)

Posted on: 5/13 15:34

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

x-vision wrote:
Quote:

sabbate wrote:
thank you x-vision

Not at all ;) . Kalamatee deserve this and a lot more (I cannot give more atm, but maybe soon I will)

I’ve replied to your pm, and am extremely grateful you are willing to help me out.

Posted on: 5/14 9:59

From Madrid
Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
Quote:

x-vision wrote:
Quote:

sabbate wrote:
thank you x-vision

I’ve replied to your pm, and am extremely grateful you are willing to help me out.

You are welcome, it's nothing. Hope to see back at some point your talented work, specially on the update of the graphic system and drivers.

I already buyed them and they are in the process of delivering. I'll write asap a new thread to try to organize the collect for the rest of your system.

Posted on: 5/20 3:53

Group:
Quote:

x-vision wrote:
[quote]
try to organize the collect for the rest

good idea. while id prefer to wire directly we could at least pledge in order to ensure to reach the full amount. not unalike a bounty.

Posted on: 5/20 7:39

From Italy
Group:
for me no problem, maybe to be open new thread

Posted on: 5/20 8:23

Group:
ok. i have succesfully compiled odyssey for m68k. to achieve that, i have added atomic support form m68k to gcc-6.3.0, which was originally meant for linux, but doesnt seem to be that platform specific.

that said, i still cant confirm it working, as it begins to load but it doesnt seem to really start through. odyssey is picky about a number of things to get run, among others a working network stack. perhaps it doesnt detect the emulated winuae stack running. perhaps i should emulate some card like x-surf. ill try to get to my studio where i have the drivers as it doesnt seem to be provided on individual computers page anymore.

Posted on: 5/23 5:54

« 1 ... 15 16 17 (18) 19 20 21 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.