Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

mordesku, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: FreeCiv

From Hungary
Group:
Here is some über-beta. To play the game you need to do the following. Open ENVARC:AROSTCP/db/netdb-myhost in your favorite text editor, and add the following entry:
Quote:

HOST 127.0.0.1 localhost
And restart.

I'm too lazy to replace every localhost in the client with 127.0.0.1, and it's hardcoded in quite a few places. So you do the work!

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/fr ... reeciv-2.3.2.zip?download
http://wizard2k8.uw.hu/freeciv-2.3.2.7z

Be prepared, this is still buggy as hell. The biggest problem is the menu. Sometimes it works, sometimes... rather most of the times it doesn't. Just keep closing and opening the game until it cooperates There's some bug in our SDL implementation.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 14:20

Edited by BSzili on 2012/10/11 0:07:13
Edited by BSzili on 2012/10/11 0:30:30

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
I'm gonna wait for a more stable version then ;)

Posted on: 2012/10/10 16:30

Group:
Quote:

Here is some über-beta.

cool, i like uber-anything

Quote:

To play the game you need to do the following....

Done. It (output) tells me:
1: Lan bind failed: address already in use
2: loading rulesets
blah blah blah
2: Now accepting new client connections

Do i need to start server manually first ?

red: duh... i need to reset first after changing netdb-myhost

Quote:

The biggest problem is the menu. Sometimes it works, sometimes...

First run i had a menu, and second and third

Quote:

There's some bug in our SDL implementation.

Not that i doubt you, but are you absolutley sure about that ?

did you noticed for instance:
Quote:

If you have current cvs version of SDL (or >= 1.2.6) then uncomment
#define SDL_CVS line (36) from gui-sdl/mapview.c

and

Quote:

Freeciv-2.3.2-win32-sdl-setup.exe Experimental and more immersive client (95 and above)

No idea though if it would influence things (as i did not had a look at sources).

btw, does this also means the server always get fired up ? even if i only want to play on online server ?

regards,

btw: my wife seriously considers not giving you any flowers anymore

Posted on: 2012/10/10 17:00

Edited by magorium on 2012/10/10 17:31:47
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
@yasu:
Quote:
I'm gonna wait for a more stable version then ;)

Ofcourse milage may vary on your setup but i had no problems at all in virtualbox (not had time to test native yet)

Welcome into my humble empire

Attach file:

jpg  freeciv-in-action.jpg (220.47 KB)
2666_50762b8467278.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:14

From Hungary
Group:
magorium:
The problem is not not that the menu doesn't appear, but that you can't select anything besides the first option. So you can only select New game, and you practically get stuck on the second screen, after you connected to your local server. But it looks like you didn't have this problem. What the...?
Anyway, I attributed this to the AROS SDL implementation, because this didn't happen on Windows or Linux with the SDL client, and I haven't touched the GUI. Well, it's fine with me, as long as it only happens on my AROS setup
The server only starts up if you start a local session (eg. New game, Load Game). You can connect to any 2.3.2 (or 2.x?) server. I just tested it with a server started on the host windows system, and it worked. Just make sure you wait for a while after you press connect, it's a bit slow. I'll enable compression in the next version, maybe it'll help.
PS: BSzili's city? I'm honored

Yasu:
Feel free to try this version, since it already looks playable enough.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 0:24

Group:
Well, this is my experience:

1. extracted the general zip file in a drawer
2. extracted the aros executables in the same drawer

3. first run the game with clicking on its icon ---> AROS freezed, with stuck pointer, after presenting the very first screen of the game (didn't even get to the menu)

4. ran AROSTCP preferences, added localhost to hostnames (172.0.0.1 localhost)

5. launched shell
6. stack 1024000
7. ran the sdl client ---> could get to the initial menu. Only "Play new game" apparently available. Choosing other options seems actually possibile, though they will lead to a textual menu system in the shell, or in the associated CON window.
8. chose "Play new game" ---> still got to the text menu system

9. in any case, to exit game calling Scout is still necessary.

What are the exact steps to make a play? I couldn't even start a single match locally.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 3:37

From Hungary
Group:
If you want to start the game from Wanderer you have to increase the stack size of the icon.
I'm aware of the problem with the menu, but I have no clue what causes it. Just start and close the game until it works.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 4:04

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
I'll wait a little. I'm not competent enough to fix these kind of problems when they occur :)

Btw, your Retrobattle port shows a window of when it loads stuff. I guess that's not really suppose to do that :)

Posted on: 2012/10/11 5:03

Group:
@bszili:
Quote:
The problem is not not that the menu doesn't appear, but that you can't select anything besides the first option.

Thats wierd. I haven't seen that :/

Quote:
But it looks like you didn't have this problem. What he...?

Nope, i did not got that problem at all.

Just in case in might shed a light:
I'm using a clean icaros 1.4 in virtualbox. The only thing i left out is sound, because of special preperation i'm making.
Also i only copied the data directory and _nothing_ else.

The only thing that is (some sort of) a bother right now is that i seem to be unable to switch back to windowed mode by using the menu (did not tried anything else tbh). Only 1920x1080 is selectable. But for now i don't mind too much as i know it's a wip and i'm sure you are aware of it.

Quote:
The server only starts up if you start a local session (eg. New game, Load Game).

Ok, so to get this straight so i understand. The server does represent itself (always on startup) but does not actually expose server functionality when choosing an online game-server ?

Quote:
You can connect to any 2.3.2 (or 2.x?) server.

The moment my vm setup is done it will go onto a pendrive and i should be able to test natively and online.

Quote:
...it's a bit slow. I'll enable compression in the next version, maybe it'll help.

as long as it works i am a happy customer...

Sorry to hear paolone seems to have the same problems you are experiencing. I will try fiddle a bit further before going native, perhaps i can find some cause or am able to reproduce.

red:
Quote:
paolone wrote:
9. in any case, to exit game calling Scout is still necessary.

I also do not have that one. i can _always_ shut down the server by typing quit. sometimes it requires the cli in which i started the client to do some additional enters in order to return to the cli.

The only wierd thing i only once encountered is that it seemed that the client returned to the cli, but actually wasn't so i had to type some extra enters.

red2:
Starting from icon also always make it crash with me. No matter what stack i give it. It even let's vbox crash.

That memory freed twice is really haunting you bszili :/ For instance, try to change local tileset *boom* (requesters available if needed)

regards,

Posted on: 2012/10/11 9:16

Edited by magorium on 2012/10/11 10:27:01
Edited by magorium on 2012/10/11 12:11:50

From Hungary
Group:
The server only starts when you select new game or load game in the menu, and it will be closed when you leave the game. This is how freeciv works on other platforms too. You don't need to explicitly type quit, since the quit command will be sent to the server, see the CLI window.
The game didn't crash for me with 1MB stack set in the icon, but I already have a replacement main function, which NewStackSwaps the correct amount. This works in the shell and wanderer too. Of course if the game doesn't work with the 1MB stack set in the icon, then stackswapping version probably won't work either. It's just a more user-proof method
In VESA the only available resolution is the one you started AROS with. You can't switch to windowed mode at all, or you just don't have any other resolutions?

BTW, you seem to be the only person not affected by the "menu-bug". I have to fix this before the port really becomes usable. I was able to reproduce the tileset-setting bug, that also goes to the TODO list.

edit: The bug was in SDL after all. The MouseMotion event reports wrong absolute coordinates. The values won't go higher than 509x299 for a 640x480 window. Hopefully SDL_GetMouseState() will report the correct coordinates.

Posted on: 2012/10/11 12:47

Edited by BSzili on 2012/10/11 13:45:05

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.