Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

trekiej, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

Re: Are icotools available for AROS?

From California, United States
Group:
You may need a few different extraction methods per type of .info such as "PNG" extraction method for AROS icons, "IFF" method for OS 3.5 icons...forget about the rest?

I load and save the GlowIcons (3.5) in my IFF Icon Edit. More about the file format later today. Basically search as if it's an IFF file looking for ICON header, then IM1 followed by ILBM data, then IM2 followed by ILBM data.

Curiously, does Amiga OS 4.1 use the same PNG icon format as AROS? Are the .info files interchangeable?

Posted on: 5/5 18:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
You may need a few different extraction methods per type of .info such as "PNG" extraction method for AROS icons, "IFF" method for OS 3.5 icons...forget about the rest?

The latter means 'giving up, e.g. not part of my vocabulary Besides that, they are valid AROS icons so support for them would be required for ilbarbax needs.

Quote:

I load and save the GlowIcons (3.5) in my IFF Icon Edit. More about the file format later today. Basically search as if it's an IFF file looking for ICON header, then IM1 followed by ILBM data, then IM2 followed by ILBM data.

hmz... i don't remember having added support for glowicons, but i know their actual data is stored inside the tooltypes.

- load icon the normal way
- if im1 magic-id present in tooltype then icon has glowicon image attached else it is just a normal icon. and of course the same for the selected image with magic-id im2.

Quote:

Curiously, does Amiga OS 4.1 use the same PNG icon format as AROS? Are the .info files interchangeable?

They both originate from powericons so afaik, yes they should be. AROS just eats everything you can throws at it (except for the glowicons if not mistaken. e.g. AROS ignores the glowicon specific data).

Posted on: 5/5 18:22

Group:
@origami

Here is a link to Amiga Icon Formats. It may help to explain what needs to be done to extract to images.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l67azobcdi7b ... 20Icon%20Formats.txt?dl=0

The OldIcons start with "E3" signature. The NewIcons use IM1 and IM2 markers and OS 3.5 Icons use IFF and start with FORM follwed by ICON and then FACE. I've noticed that the body of the image data for GlowIcons and perhaps NewIcons is much smaller (508kb) compared to the image data of resulting IFF ILBM file (1080kb). Some type of data (RLE) compression may be in use for the .INFO file image data.

If you should figure this out before me, and at this rate that's very possible, please share the solution with me. Thanks!

Posted on: 5/6 20:00

Group:

Posted on: 5/6 21:57

Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
@origami

Here is a link to Amiga Icon Formats. It may help to explain what needs to be done to extract to images.

Thanks. I knew most of it

btw:
Quote:

There are 3 4 different formats.
1) The OS1.x/OS2.x icons.
2) The NewIcon icon extension.
3) The OS3.5 icon extension.
4) powericons

4) png images with special icOn chunk embedded inside png. can be 1 or 2 png images.

icOn chunk stores the 'old' data required to fill f.e. a drawerdata structure.

it is a taglist that can contain zero or more tags from the following list:
ATTR_DRAWERX,
ATTR_DRAWERY,
ATTR_DRAWERWIDTH,
ATTR_DRAWERHEIGHT,
ATTR_DRAWERFLAGS,
ATTR_DRAWERFLAGS2,
ATTR_DRAWERFLAGS3,
ATTR_VIEWMODES,
ATTR_VIEWMODES2,
ATTR_DD_CURRENTX,
ATTR_DD_CURRENTY :
ATTR_ICONX,
ATTR_ICONY,
ATTR_STACKSIZE,
ATTR_TYPE,
ATTR_FRAMELESS:
ATTR_DEFAULTTOOL,
ATTR_TOOLTYPE:

Of course, each tag followed by its respective value.

Quote:

If you should figure this out before me, and at this rate that's very possible, please share the solution with me. Thanks!

No problem sharing a solution. As said, the only thing missing is the actual data extraction.

I'm gong to cheat btw. using api loading a diskobject, casting to nativeicon format to reach the loaded data.

jeffrey1138's link is also very good. Thanks jeffrey1138 !

Now, my problem is that multiview is unable to display iff files with icon chunks ... so that does not look good for using the saved iff file directly... probably requires conversion to normal iff ilbm/acbm :-S

Posted on: 5/6 22:22

Edited by origami on 2017/5/7 14:37:58

Group:
If you use IlbmToIcon.c as a guide it uses RLE compression and DiskObjects to encode icon data.

Work backward to disassemble the icon. It supposedly works with IFF and PNG icons. It was written by the AROS Team (Jason McMullan).

It compiled easily and it takes 3 arrguements: source 1 image, source 2 image, dest Info file. I used it on two 8bit iff images but it complained "bad loadfile hunk". Maybe it is expecting 24bit IFF input images? I'll examine the code more closely. That's exactly the sample I need to finish my Icon Edit project. As a side note, since Dopus 5 Magellan allows us to "Pick Editor" it may be possible to use either the AROS "Icon Edit" or "IFF Icon Edit". That would be nice to start the program from the menu supplied by "Icon Information".

In addition, if you look at Dopus 5 Magellan source code from SourceForge of special interest is "Modules>Icon.c". Therein you'll find Icon (.Info) file manipulation ideas such as Icon_to_Image, Image_to_Bitmap, then you can do Bitmap_to_PNG. I wonder if the Magellan sources on SourceForge are the same sources used in Icaros Desktop?Just some ideas.

The PNG images used in AROS icons (.Info) seem to be two PNG's "Joined" (Stacked) in a file (Image1, Image2). Just split the files and save as PNG files. I don't see any Ic0n Chunks there at first inspection. Maybe there exists a "Composite Icon" composed of "Classic" Icon + PNG Data? Some Icons used in "AROS for Amiga" (AfA) may be that.

Posted on: 5/7 7:52

Edited by miker on 2017/5/7 12:00:14
Edited by miker on 2017/5/7 12:06:40
Edited by miker on 2017/5/7 12:08:15
Edited by miker on 2017/5/7 12:20:19

Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
I don't see any Ic0n Chunks there at first inspection.

My bad. copy-paste error. Sorry for that.

It should read: "icOn" without the quotes. just do a grep on *.info files and search for the string

I've modified my previous post on that topic to match.

Posted on: 5/7 14:26

Group:
If the PNG images have an Ic0n chunk why not use a binary read write routine to remove the chunk and write to a new PNG file? You may need to adjust overall file size in the PNG header. Just a thought.

Posted on: 5/7 15:33

Group:
@miker:
removing the icon chunk is not even required. programs that do not understand a specific chunk should simply ignore it. Since this chunk does not contain any data with regards to displaying the graphical representation of the icon, it can be 'ignored'. e.g. icOn chunk only means something for programs/libraries that actually makes use of it.

Well, of course, everything is possible but unfortunately original requester (hi ilbarbax ) stays awful quiet.

I already asked about what output formats it should support but not got an answer yet.

I am not aware what hollywood is capable of reading/displaying (and as also expressed, i find it odd that hollywood itself would not be able to do exactly what i am currently doing: using icon library to load the .info from disk, retrieve the (loaded) icon information and access the chunky array or bitmap). fyi: the 'raw' png or iff data is there as well.

Posted on: 5/7 16:02

Group:
I agree. If MultiView won't display a PNG image because it contains an Ic0n chunk that's a problem with MultiView. It should just ignore the chunk.

I asked what output format is required as well. I'll run IconToIFF in Amiga OS 3.5 to see what the output file is. Likewise, I believe the program is called "WheelRun" but I haven't downloaded it for AROS yet. Then I can run it and see what output files it has.

There are a few options as far as output file format. For "classic" icons that contain data up to OS 3.5 in IFF the data can be scaled up to 8bit. For PNG icons that are 24bit the output is 24bit PNG. So either 8bit or 24bit. My program will have to support 8bit and 24bit ILBM as well as 8bit and 24bit PNG files. Why can't IconToIFF be compiled for AROS? It works on Amiga 68k and Amiga OS 4.

The author's name is Chris Young. Maybe he wouldn't mind comping a IconToIFF version for AROS? End of problem.

Posted on: 5/7 17:17

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.