Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: AROS BMP Picture DataType

Group:
It would make sense, to develop new software for ABI v1. Some bugs have been fixed there already and you may end up fixing them again.

So I would suggest to develop for v1 and then port it back to v0 to include it into Icaros.

Ideal case would be to develop for v1/64 bit and recompile it for v0/32 bit.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 5:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From California, United States
Group:
o1i,

Thanks for the information about ABIv1 and v0. I've downloaded and installed TortoiseSVN. If I commit for ABIv1 as far as the Repository, should I do that through Trunk or Branches?

Also, if I commit for ABIv1 and it gets compiled in the Nightly Build can I download the binaries and use the BMP Dataype for testing on an ABIv0 system such as Icaros Desktop? Is datatypes code for v1 compatible with v0 or does it need to be modified for use with ABIv0? Thanks.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 13:59

From Ireland
Group:
@miker

You should commit to the trunk. ABIv0 and ABIv1 binaries are completely incompatible. If you want to test your datatype changes under ABIv0, download the ABIv0 sources from either the website or SVN and compile it as you would ABIv1.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 15:06

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
Could you message me about the correct way to upload images? I already have some test bitmaps selected that are small enough to upload.

For BMP test images, the best location in SVN would be developer/debug/test/datatypes/bmp (relative to trunk's root, i.e. https://svn.aros.org/svn/aros/trunk/AROS). But please be sure that distribution is allowed and update the "LEGAL" file there.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 15:11

Group:
Ok. Thanks.

I'll put a few test images there in Trunk, not Branches>ABIv1.

I'll make some changes to BMP Datatype in Trunk as well.
I'll do that as soon as I can. Still writing Save_ILBM. I should be able to commit the first change for that by the end of the week. The first pass will only allow saving to an ILBM with 8 bitplanes. The rest will follow next week.

It should be relatively easy to fine tune Save_BMP at this point. Thanks for your patience.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 15:21

Group:
Placed a total of 11 new test images in
~trunk/AROS/developer/debug/test/datatypes/bmp. The test images include an IFF called SachsCastle.iff which is a planar bitmap of 5 bitplanes which I'm using to test the new Save_ILBM function.

I also committed the first changes for BMP Datatype.

Posted on: 2017/11/21 21:43

Group:
@ncafferkey,

Yes. I have noticed that the binaries from ABIv0 and v1 are not compatible. I downloaded the v1 binary of BMP datatype to test on Icaros v0. It locked up my system and it went black and restarted. I also had an issue when writing Save_ILBM recently because Seek-Read-write gives an Irregular Dos Packet Error because of Internal Seek whatever that means. I usually prefer fseek, fread, fwrite for performance reasons, but to be compatible with the DTW_Write structure I need to use BPTR instead of FILE. I thought maybe it was a problem with ABIv0 again. So I loaded my Test Program to MyWorkSpace and I booted from the Nightly Build CD. When I ran my binary compiled for ABIv0 same thing happened. It locked up my machine and the screen went dark. Totally incompatible.

I currently can't compile datatypes using AmiDevCpp because of Missing Symbols and ADD2LIBS also doesn't work right on my compiler. Perhaps if I work at it I can get around these issues and make the ABIv0 datatypes compile? I can write for ABIv1 and use the Nightly Build CD to test the datatypes, but I won't know if it works on v0 till I solve the compiler issues. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2017/11/22 19:04

Group:
Just a reminder for @miker that when he's running windows as development OS that he can use the windows hosted versions of AROS to test his work.

I'm running v0 and v1 hosted (downloaded from nightly pages) next to each other without any issues. So, in case you run into issue then feel free to mention those.

fwiw there is no need for a full blown installation in case that is troubling you, it's about 50 mb in size for each version. You can of course add to that if you want, but for basic testing needs it is not necessary.

In case you have the svn sources checked out then you can build your own AROS version of course

Posted on: 2017/11/23 9:15

Group:
Thanks for the friendly reminder. A few weeks ago the computer I was using to test AROS just suddenly quit. I think it was overworked. I'm not sure I want to run AROS Hosted on my programming laptop. It's too much of a risk. Not that AROS caused it in any way to stop working.

Of course I could install Windows and run AROS Hosted on a separate hard drive on my AROS machine which is currently a Small Form Factor mini desktop sitting on my desk under my programming laptop. But I would have to keep opening the case to change drives.

I'd like to run Icaros Desktop on the AROS machine. When testing code from the Nightly Builds I can just download a boot iso and burn a cd. When I boot from it my AROS volume and MyWorkSpace from Icaros are mounted for testing the image files copied to MyWorSpace>Pictures.

Posted on: 2017/11/24 14:57

Group:
I'm currently spending all my computer time working on Save_ILBM and the two subfunctions SaveBitmapPic and SaveRGBPic. These are all part of the Save function for IFF Picture DataType. If all goes well it should be ready to upload by the end of next week, then I can spend my time focused on Save_BMP. Load_BMP is working well enough but Save_BMP isn't working correctly. Rather than spend lots of time trying to figure out what the original author was trying to do, I'd rather re-write much of it. Again, the Load function is ok, so if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. I'm only concerned about save bmp.

There are only four parts of interest when saving a Windows Bitmap Image File. We will write the BitmapFileHeader, then the BitmapInfoHeader, then the RGBQuad structure (ColorMap) if there is one, then lastly the BitmapBits (uncompressed chunky buffer of the pixel data). For 8 bits and below the bits are index values associated with the RGBQuad. For 24 bit images the bits are RGB values stored in the file as 'BGR'.

The only other important thing to remember about BMP is that the pixel data (BitmapBits) are stored in the file upside down! So we will have to flip our chunky buffer from bottom to top before writing to the file. That's all there is to saving a BMP file. Currently BMP image format doesn't support 32 bit RGB+A images. Most Image Viewers/Converters and Paint programs won't write 32 bit images. The highest is 24 bit BMP. But some programs like Paint.NET and maybe GIMP have plugins that allow saving a special 32 bit image ARGB as BMPX file format (bitmap extended). Hopefully our Load function reads it.

After Save_BMP works as expected I'll make a few changes to allow saving Bitmap Image Files of less than 8 bits.

Posted on: 2017/11/25 20:37

Edited by miker on 2017/11/25 20:59:52

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.