Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

xushengda0628, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: Are icotools available for AROS?

From California, United States
Group:
Wawa and others,
It sounds like AROS needs a full featured Icon Paint program.

I wrote an Icon Paint program about 8 years ago that would be quite nice to use with AROS but it is in C Sharp dotNET.
Converting my paint program to C code and compiling for AROS would take some time. There are many things involved and it's somewhat of a complicated program with many graphical elements. It could take up to six months to have a working version for AROS, if you can wait that long.

For example I have invented a way to translate each pixel coordinate of the original icon image into a region of 4x4, 6x6, or 8x8 pixels in the larger "Canvas Area" for painting. I have been calling it the "Pixelate" process but it is more likely "Trixelate" (translate image coordinate system). It allows me to paint a pixel (region) in the Canvas area while simultaneously changing the corresponding pixel in the original image. I have also written code to allow for "Selection Tinting" and a "Dancing Ants" selection set boundary.

Similar in complexity, the image grid is applied using composite bitmap images. Zoom in, zoom out is accomplished by resizing the image in the Canvas Area. And these are just a few of the processes I will have to translate into C code for use with AROS. I will post a conceptual layout of the User Interface for "PNG Icon Paint" in the next few days.

Perhaps Icaros Desktop could include these Icon Utilities on the Live! DVD as well as a couple of Mount Files, so that we could then use it as a Boot DVD to paint icons then save them to SD card or Compact Flash for use with AROS 68k, or Amiga OS 68k or another version of AROS? That would be nice!

Posted on: 5/30 12:34

Edited by miker on 2017/5/30 12:54:38
Edited by miker on 2017/5/30 12:56:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
ill probably be going with some combination of the three icon tools i mentioned. its tiresome, but what to do. aros needs and iff icon set soon.

Posted on: 5/30 13:26

Group:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
ill probably be going with some combination of the three icon tools i mentioned. its tiresome, but what to do. aros needs and iff icon set soon.

The quickest way imho would be to pick an existing icon-set and convert that into the file-format that you desire/require.

Creating an full fledged icon editor for AROS is no easy task because of the different supported icon formats.

The quick glance that miker showed us of his windows icon editor is very nice, but what when we talk about 256x256x32-bit png icons ? That is something different then your standard 2/4 color wb 1.x/2.x icons.

For instance, you mentioned iff, but what exactly do you mean by that ? Could you elaborate on that ?

Personally and for my classic setup, i use magic wb icons as found on aminet. It works fast, as intended and suits my needs (although i realize not everyone is fond of MWB)

Also the licensing might perhaps be problematic, but i usually don't have to think about that when talking about personal use.

Posted on: 5/30 14:00

Group:
taking an existing icon set is a no go for licensing issues. id like to have 4-8 color iff ilbm icon set for usage on low spec systems as compile time flag for aros.

i have some templates (almost) ready. currently 64x64x3 mui palette. dreawers are not that different when it comes to that. the begining is system wide sonsistent def instances.

i like magicwb and stuff, but we cant simply take it and use.

Posted on: 5/30 16:42

Group:
Wawa,

Can AROS 68k legally use the same icon set as Icaros Desktop (ken's icons)?

I realize they are PNG on Icaros and not IFF but they could be converted quite easily to IFF icons. I have a sample icon that works well on Amiga Os 3.5 so I assume it will work on AROS 68k.

If AROS 68k is running on accelerated 68k hardware with enhanced graphics then 5bitplane or 8bitplane IFF-ILBM icons should be just fine. If it is running on a stock 68k system it's probably not going to work well.

Posted on: 5/30 18:07

Group:
I'm currently working on improving the IFF Load and Save functions for the IFF DataType. I plan to use the BMP datatype as a sample, but I believe it may have problems saving Bitmap (BMP) Files. So I might have to fix it first.

PNG DataType (Multiview) can load and save "normal" png images correctly, but it cannot save png images with Ic0n chunk.

I should have the new code in a couple weeks then we can save images as BMP and IFF formats.

In the process I have set up a "Pics(pictue datatypes)-Imaging Experiment" aka "Pixie" Viewer to test the new datatypes code. I'm using the Load and Save functions of BMP,PNG, and IFF datatypes to improve the functions. The test program may evolve into a functional Multi-Image Viewer/Converter that will allow opening and viewing images then saving as other image types including PNG and IFF-ILBM. I'm not sure Multiview can do that at the moment.

Posted on: 5/30 18:21

Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
Can AROS 68k legally use the same icon set as Icaros Desktop (ken's icons)?

Quick answer: no.

Although Ken Lester is a very kind guy and allows both AmiKit and Icaros Desktop to freely use his icons, he never agreed into releasing them under the terms of the AROS Public License (or any compatible license) so I am using his icons in Icaros because he personally allowed me to do that.

AROS, however, needs that every component is officially released under the APL or compatible one. Nothing stops you from creating your own distribution of AROS 68K with the icons you prefer, after asking Ken Lester permission to do that.

Posted on: 5/31 1:23

Group:
Quote:

taking an existing icon set is a no go for licensing issues.

I think that depends on the actual license of the icon-set ?

e.g. perhaps it is an idea to (also have a) look outside the normal community and perhaps be able to come up with work based on another icon-set ? Based on, as usually the sets consist of more colors/bigger sizes then you bargained for.

Quote:

id like to have 4-8 color iff ilbm icon set for usage on low spec systems as compile time flag for aros.

Thanks for the specification (as that was what i was asking for in a perhaps not so obvious manner).

afaik you have two options there (or actually 3, even 4).
1. Wait for the community to come up with a good icon-set, released with compatible license
2. Pick an exisitng icon-set that allows us to use/relicense and convert them as required

The third option is a combination with the first. We come up with a minimal icon-set that can be used with APL license. That way there is at least something for 68k users. Expecting that interrest for the 68k platform grows, people start complaining about the existing minimal icon-set and develop initiatives to improve that situation and which leads to something better.

The fourth option might perhaps be to fund someone(s) that would be able to create an icon-set for us that is APL compatible (Or allow their existing icon-set to be re-licensed under APL, e.g. latter option being more of a bribe).

Alternatively, as last resort, offer tools to convert existing (amiga) icon-sets so that it's easy enough for end-users to change into something they would rather prefer. In that case the icons will not be part of aros-tree or 68k distribution.

It might be an idea to drop this into vampire community as well, but for that to work they would probably first need to see the benefits (perhaps we can offer that, one way or another).

Posted on: 5/31 2:13

Group:
Quote:

paolone wrote:
Ok, I will start using them in icaros 2.2.1 btw.

I would still be obliged is someone would be able to offer some output (together with input) created by the original icontoiff program, with output being 32bit iff format.

Posted on: 5/31 2:57

Group:
@origami

all these options mean that either i need to wait for someone, fund someone or clear up some usually unclear licensing issues (like magicwb icons, or most icons released on aminet) or convert some alien iconset which may not look better than the current one and people would still complain it not being amigalike enough.

in this case i prefer to do the job myself, time permitting, whoever wants to join in welcome..

but first i need to have some material ready before i even go public with it and see if it meets approval.

Posted on: 5/31 3:41

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.