Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Question to Icaros Desktop users/fan

Group:
Quote:

Eugene wrote:
I never used it either. IMHO its time for a (default) theme change as well, something more simple and clean.

For the next icaros release I wish to have a white-oriented desktop wallpaper and theme. I'm turning to use the ice-fixed theme instead. Any help in making a new theme from a good graphician would be WELCOME as well.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 8:24

Group:
Quote:

Mangonuts wrote:

I find the lister toolbar buttons more useful but I can't remember more than a couple of the icons. Just today I was wondering if different designs would be easier to remember.

Hi, sorry for bringing up this old discussion again. But what about the new lister toolbar I am making for Icaros 2.2?

Attach file:

jpg  220-newgui.jpg (158.36 KB)
106_589120cef05fd.jpg 802X583 px

Posted on: 1/31 15:42

From Camogli GE Italy
Group:
This for sure is an improvement for people like me short in memory, However I think the best would have been adding the tip description over the buttons, but this is probably not a quick and simple solution.

Is this a fix solution or you can swap between simple icons and icons+description?

Posted on: 2/1 4:14

Group:
Quote:

ilbarbax wrote:
Is this a fix solution or you can swap between simple icons and icons+description?

It will be a fixed solution, since there is no way to add a tooltip or a label to buttons. So, in order to have image and label, I have to draw the label inside the image. No option else. This also means people will have to edit the images, or provide alternative image packs, to localize them. Luckily, there are 18 images only, so no real PITA.

Making these additions is up to Dopus5 coders and, sorry to say this, the project does not look so active AFAIK, and there are dozens of bugs/new features requested 2-3 years ago for v5.92 still classified as "open" (so no one picked up or cared about them).

Please notice that I personally opened a ticket to ask for PNG support and for tooltips during year 2014 or so. So much time has lasted I even forgot about them, and discovered back when trying to open a new one... again! I am very worried about the transition to ABIv1 and 64bit, because of Dopus5.

Posted on: 2/1 5:50

From Ireland
Group:
My thoughts on the icon bar:

I think the icons are obvious enough that we can do without labels (also, it's a pity to have non-localised text visible when most other things are/can be localised), but if we do use them, I'd prefer them in mixed case rather than all-caps. Also, I think "Shell" is enough rather than "Shell here", which sounds a bit clumsy IMHO.

Posted on: 2/1 6:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:

I think the icons are obvious enough that we can do without labels (also, it's a pity to have non-localised text visible when most other things are/can be localised), but if we do use them, I'd prefer them in mixed case rather than all-caps. Also, I think "Shell" is enough rather than "Shell here", which sounds a bit clumsy IMHO.

Id agree for most people the icons are enough, but you should at least have an option to show the labels also (especially for those who struggle with eyesight).

Posted on: 2/1 7:07

Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:

I think the icons are obvious enough that we can do without labels (also, it's a pity to have non-localised text visible when most other things are/can be localised)

I've got too much reports about Dopu5 GUI being difficult to understand or to remember, and there are some design flaws as well I had to live with, which made things worse. I explain many if those concerns here, please have a look:
http://vmwaros.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02 ... hts-about-icaros-gui.html

Localizing buttons is just matter of replacing labels with GrafX2, which has proven to be THE solution for editing them. Definitely.

Quote:
but if we do use them, I'd prefer them in mixed case rather than all-caps. Also, I think "Shell" is enough rather than "Shell here", which sounds a bit clumsy IMHO.

Well, I went for the all-case route because people may use also different fonts for system. Having them in "Arial 11pt" lowercase would make them look, well, different. Capital casing, however, makes them look different from start. But this can change, obviosuly, before final release if you convince me I am wrong.

Posted on: 2/1 7:44

From Germany
Group:
I also get confused about the Lister icons in Icaros, mainly because the icons are not very clear. For example "select all/toggle" looks exactly the same like copy (would be better to have an icon for select which shows some selected/deselected uneven lines, like text scaled down to not readable, black line inverted with white selection or so) and for the copy/Move icon the pages are a little bit too big (so hard to see the second page if it is white for copy or gray for move)
And the ordering is a little bit strange I changed it to (took me 2 hours because the Editor keeps crashing)

left button Parent Select all Copy Move MakeDir Delete more
right button Devices Select none Copy AsMove AsRename
middle button Select toggle Protect

The idea with the text nearby is not bad, just for me, it wastes too much space. I guess for others could be useful.
Nice work.

Posted on: 2/5 0:11

Group:
Quote:

ALB42 wrote:

And the ordering is a little bit strange I changed it to (took me 2 hours because the Editor keeps crashing)

left button Parent Select all Copy Move MakeDir Delete more
right button Devices Select none Copy AsMove AsRename
middle button Select toggle Protect

The idea with the text nearby is not bad, just for me, it wastes too much space. I guess for others could be useful.
Nice work.

Hey! I like your positioning! My only concern is that not all mice have 3 buttons, so I am always a little shy to bind things to the middle button by default. I might see if I can use Ctrl+button combinations as well. Just a couple of question for you:

do you use CopyAs so often?

is Move operation safe? (long ago I was told not using Move, but copy then delete instead).

BTW, the editor never crashes to me on native. I had some issue, though, on hosted.

Posted on: 2/6 5:28

From Germany
Group:
Quote:

paolone wrote:

My only concern is that not all mice have 3 buttons, so I am always a little shy to bind things to the middle button by default. I might see if I can use Ctrl+button combinations as well.

hmm, because my 3rd Button is not easy to click, I seldom use it (except the wheel up down). so I placed there things I really use very seldom. But even my Amiga had a 3rd Button back in the days ;)

Quote:

do you use CopyAs so often?

yes, rather often, when I think about I use it more often than Move for example. I guess MoveAs I never used always move and rename.
(Usual case... I compile a program, for example Mapparium then want to copy into it's Data directory but there is the official released Mapparium executable already, which I do not want to overwrite)

Quote:

is Move operation safe? (long ago I was told not using Move, but copy then delete instead).

I guess there I'm the wrong one to ask, I use hosted and never experienced a problem with Move maybe it's only native and even so you could make it this way as dopus script which copies and delete one after the other.

Quote:

BTW, the editor never crashes to me on native. I had some issue, though, on hosted.

yeah it's hosted.

Posted on: 2/6 8:38

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.