Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Is it a Conspiracy that doesn't want us to have a modern Amiga compatible Computer?

From Germany
Group:
Natami is dead.. every modern Amiga Project gets killed or dies..

Is it a Conspiracy?

I have any kind of Computer Shit.. the only thing I still want to have, would be something like the Natami!

What I'm still dreaming of simply doesn't exist!

Posted on: 12/1 1:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Is it a Conspiracy that doesn't want us to have a modern Amiga compatible Computer?

Group:
There's absolutely no conspirancy here.

There's only a sad old story of four competing personal computer platforms (Atari, Amiga, Mac, PC) fighting to become 'the one', and one of them (not being our favourite) winning the competition.

The others either adapted (mac) or disappearead (Atari, Amiga), with some people refusing to look at the reality for what it was.

Then, there is a more recent story of survivors takeing different routes for a possibile successor. These survivors could choose collaboration to help each other and create, at least, a common standard. But most of them prefered fight again, with very little numbers, to make the other little numbers desist.

In the end, more and more people just grow sicked of all of this, and the IT market simply didn't need another PC platform anymore. Ex Amigans are now happy with their Mac or with their PC, why bothering about the more and more ageing Amiga philosophy?

No market interest means no investors. And that's the simple answer to your question: there is no money to develop a viable, sellable and worldwide-successful Amiga computer anymore.

Posted on: 12/1 3:16

Re: Is it a Conspiracy that doesn't want us to have a modern Amiga compatible Computer?

From Madrid
Group:
@paolone

Excellent summary

Posted on: 12/1 13:52

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
That's the Amiga curse. The whole story is somewhat tragic.

However out of the ashes of Natami came the Apollo project and Vampire accelerators. It even sounds like a standalone system may not be far away, and it's clear there is still plenty of interest. They are just taking the logical steps of CPU, then accelerators, then standalone.

Amiga's advantage was huge power for low price, which isn't relevant in an age where abundant computing power is practically free. Fortunately there are plenty of dedicated fans left and many of them are quite brilliant. There are also plenty of old nerds like me who are just coming back to the scene. I believe there is still reason to be optimistic!

Posted on: 12/2 3:07

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
You know, I'm not so sure about people not wanting another alternative. I was at a recent open evening and things were a bit slow; one of my colleages asked about my netbook, as they'd noticed it was pretty nippy. So explained about AROS, and they were really interested, complaining about how slow and generally annoying Windows was on their machine. The bit they were less impressed was the fact AROS couldn't directly work with Word and Excel files, and some visitors came in before we have a chance to talk about Office on line.

Anyway, of course AROS or any Amiga system for that matter is unlike to ever approach the mainstream again, but I suspect there are enough people out there who are dissatisfied with the current mainstream offerings to ensure it has a future.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 12/4 15:12

From Ohio
Group:
We need to get something on AROS that can work with opendocument. I've tried online and its pretty much useless even with a high speed connection. Ability to work with all my existing documents would be a big plus here.

Posted on: 12/5 19:38

From Marseille
Group:
i personnally would ever prefer open source (AROS) at any time, but the a1222 that is announced seems to give a good alternative to the X5000 joke.

for my daily work (it seems the discussion is going that way), i need powerfull music softwares and midi support... and maybe a good clock ticking :)

Posted on: 12/6 0:38

From Norway
Group:
AROS is real good now and only get better so I would say that is a reality and a dream come true. Noone manage to kill us ;)

Posted on: 12/7 14:56

Group:
hmmm...

does anyone of you remember that old Microsoft Windows (95? 98?) TV commercial, that has a skydiver diving, and his parachute is chequered red-white, and it's dissolving square by square, and then he somehow gets saved by Windows?
I kept, and keep, thinking: this is a boingball. this is not coincidence.

Majsta (Vampire accelerators) makes a remark in his presentation speech (more precisely: the english YouTube subtitles, as I don't speak his language) at 12min08sec: "We had a lot of pressure and blackmail from certain people, to abandon the idea."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNjuulAWntc

I dont think there's a conspiracy going on, but people talk, there's money involved, marketing strategies, ... these things happen.
I'm pretty sure that someone at some company at some point in time - at least - thought to himself: we should keep an eye on the Amiga guys.

Posted on: 4/4 4:59

Group:
Quote:

roMancer wrote:

I'm pretty sure that someone at some company at some point in time - at least - thought to himself: we should keep an eye on the Amiga guys.

Hmm, according to that video, they received pressures and bkackmail from some "retrocomputing affarists" who have nothing to spare with Microsoft, whose interest in our tiny little market should be now between zero and near-to-zero (on the negative side, though).

I am more keen to think someone tried to dissuade them just to keep the value of vintage hardware stupidly high.

About industry, there are just 1 or 2 companies that might be somehow afraid of Vampire accelerators, and none of them is someone we should be afraid of. Really.

Edit: BTW, I guess it's just yet-another-poor-amigan drama:
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/v ... wmode=flat&order=0#795038

Posted on: 4/4 5:13

Edited by paolone on 2017/4/4 5:43:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.