Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Perhaps bring Real3D

Group:
@juha:

hi there. nice to see you here. i still have a hard copy of your software and a dongle in one of the drawers, and even though i have not used it for a while its been greatest and most mysterious piece of application i have put my hands on i guess ;)

i also had a look at later realsoft demos, in a post amiga era, have though decided for lightwave at some point. which is collecting dust by now btw.

im happy to report thatthe version you have made available for free is working on aros68k, that means on amiga with aros as operating system, at least as far i have been able to test it a while ago.

now. what concerns compilation, i think its good news that real3d is working on an aros platform/flavour already, as they are all source compatible. there are of course small differences, architecture dependant, but that shouldnt be a big issue.

you need to know, that aros is divided into two generations:

ABI 0, which is still what an average aros x86 user is running, and which is still the base of x86 distributions.

and resulting from improvement on previous ABI 1, which is still experimental and backward incompatible moving target. aros68k belongs to this category, because genuine amiga api is reference here.

you must decide which target you want to compile for. most sensible would probably be x86 or x64 ABI0 "on trunk". its as i said a base for x86 distros, but incorporates as much possible ABI1 functionality.

i dont know what kind of setups you are using for compilation, but i would strongly advise x86 linux (i prefer lubuntu atm). as it stands aros currently doesnt even compile on itself, let alone the number of tools at your disposal, cross compiling for x86 linux hosted target. just to mention gdb.

i can help you a bit, but im not an experienced coder, so i rather hope for someone more educated to chip in.

;)

Posted on: 12/19 20:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Italy
Group:
Thanks Juha I read about you and your brother on wikipedia and you have worked for the first time on real 3D with a Commodore 64, but the first version came out then for amiga, I had both of the mentioned computers but I was a kid hihi

have a good week

Posted on: 12/19 21:32

http://www.planet-eu.it/aros/

Group:
Quote:

juha wrote:
Ok, thanks for the info regarding git and emacs! First source files successfully compiled on aros. A promising start.

Hi Juha, let me introduce myself. I am the mantainer of Icaros Desktop and, as you may have already noticed, I've already got some years ago permission to include in Extras:68K the old, binary release of Real3D. I am extremely happy to know that you're so fond to try compiling it to native x86 AROS, and let me suggest you to download the latest release of Icaros Desktop. If you already have a Linux machine you're using to develop code, you can run Icaros hosted onto it and share your Linux home directory with the AROS environment (it will be mounted as Home: device). This should allow you testing progress quicker and easily.

Posted on: 12/22 2:31

Group:
All the source code we have written for Amiga some 2 ..3 decades ago compile now on aros. A few essential features, such as opengl and tabbed gadget are still completely missing, but we can actually run some of the regression test apps on aros already. Only a couple of them run without crashing, but it is a couple of more than we dared to expect.

Decent debugger would definitely speed things up (valgrind would be would be very nice too), so will set up linux hosted aros next.

Thanks everyone, for your help and suggestions so far.
Happy New Year!!!

Posted on: 12/31 2:23

Group:
Hi Juha,

Thank you very much for the progress update. That is pretty awesome to hear.

Are you having issues with regards to opengl or did you simply not managed to find time to implement/support it yet ?

A very happy new year to you and all other readers as well.

Posted on: 12/31 2:32

Group:
So far we have been busy with compiling existing source code (features that were there in the original amiga os). Haven't had a change to check out aros opengl yet.

Posted on: 12/31 3:30

Group:
Happy New year!

@juha

It is great to read about the Real3D port in progress! Thank you very much!

Posted on: 12/31 4:03

From Norway
Group:
Thank you for the update. Happy new year.

Posted on: 12/31 4:14

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Fantastic news - I'm really looking forwards to purchasing this for AROS. Could I be cheeky and ask about a possible feature? Would it be possible to output the design as a STL file which could be passed to 3D printing software?

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 12/31 4:59

From Italy
Group:
hi Juha

thank you and Happy new year

congratulation

Posted on: 12/31 9:15

http://www.planet-eu.it/aros/