Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

usb wifi sticks / realtek8180.device development

Group:
hi all,

as far as I know the "netgear wg111 v3" usb wifi stick is the only one that's supported by AROS, and the device driver is "realtek8180.device" - is that correct?

I've been using this combination for quite some time now, and I get the feeling that it's VERY unreliable.

if anyone is working on that device driver* I'd be happy to help with testing.

EDIT:
*) ...or whatever may be the reason for unreliability... WirelessManager?

Posted on: 12/26 9:06

Edited by roMancer on 2016/12/26 16:11:56
Edited by roMancer on 2016/12/26 16:17:51

Re: usb wifi sticks / realtek8180.device development

From Ireland
Group:
That's basically correct. There are other models that use the same driver, but I wouldn't expect them to perform much differently to the WG111v3.

As the author of realtek8180.device, I'm not happy with the reliability of it either, but I couldn't figure out its problems. I suspect the USB layer could be at fault: perhaps USB support on hosted could be helpful in debugging. Is USB on hosted usable now?

Posted on: 12/27 20:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
I've always found USB wireless to be really reliable. Something to do with WiFi settings or wirking with a particular router perhaps? My router is a Netgear and I use manual settings for gateway and IP address and that seems to work well.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 12/28 5:37

From Sunny Finland
Group:
USB on hosted is uasable for some of the transfer methods. Basic control transfers and bulk transfers should work. I think that where I left it is that interrupt transfers don't quite work (might be something simple, iorequest queue?) and ofcourse I haven't implemented any isochronous transfers (should be simple)

Bulk transfer work to the extend that a mass storage works and is usable.

All transfers are synchronous and not as I intendet in the first place to be asynchronous and that's because of libusb and the way it uses payloads (copy buffer is needed in between iorequest and libusb)

Posted on: 12/28 5:53

Group:
@ncafferkey:
first of all huuuuge thank you for your work!

@ntromans:
which usb stick do you use?

- - - -

I'm using some Intel mainboard with Atom N270 cpu, running AROS-i386 native nightly build of 2016-11-21, and the aforementioned "netgear wg111v3" with "realtek8180.device" (set to dhcp / automatic, or manual ip - tried both). router is a FritzBox 7360.

to be more precise about what's "unreliable" to me:

1. it wifi network is running (on system startup or after "Save"/"Use"), and if there's some wifi setting (active or not active) present (device / wireless network), hitting "Save" or "Use" always says: "failed to restart wireless network settings" (or similar)

2. after 1.), changes may or may not have been applied, I can't figure it out (see 3.), I think I remember changes have been applied now and then

3. if wifi network is running (on system startup or after "Save"/"Use"), "WirelessManager" may or (mostly) may not list wireless networks available, and sometimes only a couple of them (that's why I can't figure out 2., I have no clue if it's working in the first place)

4. connecting via "WirelessManager" (entering password and clicking one of the wireless networks listed) seems to have no effect - connecting seems to (rarely) work only by adding a wireless network in network settings

5. there's no feedback if connection was successful or not (see 2. and 3.), regardless of what networks "WirelessManager" lists, or where I do the connection setup ("Network" or "WirelessManager")

6. it DOES work sometimes, but it seems to be impossible to reproduce (plug, unplug, AROS restart, system reboot, network on system startup, network manual start, ...)

basically, some precise message about what precisely is going (wr)on(g) would be nice.

Posted on: 12/28 9:18

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi roMancer,
I use the same Netgear adapter. As to the not applying settings problem, yes, I do get that - normally I expect to have to reboot after trying to change network settings.

For the unreliable connection issue, I do have a trick I've used for a while to help. In the wirelessmananager script I start the network, stop it and then restart again:

Run <NIL: >NIL: sys:system/network/arostcp/c/AROSTCP

wait 2 secs

WaitForPort AROSTCP

If NOT Warn

; echo "Stack online"

; stop and restart
execute "sys:system/network/AROSTCP/s/stopnet"

Else

echo "Wait for Stack Failed"
exit

EndIf

Run <NIL: >NIL: sys:system/network/arostcp/c/AROSTCP
WaitForPort AROSTCP

If NOT Warn

; echo "Stack online"

Else

echo "Wait for Stack Failed"

EndIf

run <NIL: >NIL: c:wirelessmanager realtek8180.device

I don't start the network using the option in prefs; instead, I run the above script at the end of the startup-sequence:

sys:system/network/arostcp/s/wstartnet >nil:

Doing this means, for me, it always connects reliably and I get a full list of all the avaialble networks upon clicking on the Wirelessmanager AppIcon. However, it does take about 30 seconds to establish the connection.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 12/29 3:55

Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:51:58
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:52:37
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:53:11
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:53:41
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:55:09
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:55:57
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:56:31
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 11:58:11
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 12:00:37
Edited by ntromans on 2016/12/29 12:03:05

Group:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fP-0-dEHhA

!!!

I just tried your script (manually) - IT WORKS!!!

and there's even some (albeit very little) output about what's going on.*

thanks!

(
*) I think it has to be ">NIL:" instead of just "NIL:", I get an error message here, but that would suppress the output, right?
)

(
still I think: network connectivity is such a basic, crucial issue, it simply has to work out-of-the-box. please don't get me wrong, guys, I know how extremely time-consuming software development is, and how unrewarding it is to work on AROS, and I highly appreciate all the work that has been done. but asking someone who's new to AROS to browse a forum and create a custom script for such basic functionality will most likely be unacceptable for that person. sooo... maybe we could make it work from "Network"-prefs? add a log-window? a status indicator?
)

Posted on: 12/29 7:49

Edited by roMancer on 2016/12/29 8:15:59

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Ho roMancer,
Yes, the '>' seems to have been lost in the copy fo the script - I'll put that back into the original post (thanks for spotting that). Of course, if you wished for more output you could just remove all the '>NIL:' from the script and line which invokes it.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 12/29 11:51

Group:
hm.
now with latest nightly build (2017-01-16) networking is broken. either WirelessManager or AROSTCP fails with "illegal instruction", first stack trace entry is "realtek8180.device Function CreateUnit"

Posted on: 1/20 1:19

From Ireland
Group:
This has just been fixed. It should be OK in the next nightly build, or you can take realtek8180.device from a nightly or distro from before December 2016.

Posted on: 1/20 5:59

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.