Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

impulse, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Windows hosted xmas ed (various)

From Sweden
Group:
A little thing to change further on might be to add an assign dh0: to sys: or something.

references to dh0: results in a requester insert dh0:

for example launching themeedit in windows hosted environment gives that result. (on my machine)

Posted on: 1/8 12:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Windows hosted xmas ed (various)

Group:
This is a themeditor issue. I cant change how apps behave...

Posted on: 1/8 12:31

From Sweden
Group:
After spending a long time thinking!

Perhaps, on the other hand, any (or most?) AOS-Like systems including classic have a DH0: if there is a HD present.

It is likely for some people without a HD and only diskdrives to be stuck with DF0: that would in theory bring up the same problem.

However this is Aros hosted under Windows (perhaps a linux issue also?) there seems to be no DH0: at all just SYS:

So I would say it is a problem with that virtual? hosted Aros, I do not say it is a problem with Icaros. As i guess you gather whatever apps and stuff you could find to make a complete solution.

However not knowing if there are more apps that reference DH0: to function properly. it would be very simple to add a line to check if DH0: is present (perhaps add a hosted flag in install scrip if not present yet), and if no DH0: is found assign it to the (virtual) startup drive.

Not a big deal for me, as I have fixed the issue, but could be confusing for someone else.

Just a thought...

Posted on: 1/12 9:03

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Is theme editor part of AROS or 3rd party application?

Posted on: 1/12 9:30

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

From Sweden
Group:
I do not kbow, but my guess is not...

however by doing this, I got my hosted icaros to acknowledge the DH0:

in mountlist
DH0:
FileSystem = emul-handler
Device = "DH0:E:\winUAE Drives\IcarosDesktop"
LowCyl = 0
HighCyl = 0
Surfaces = 1
BlocksPerTrack = 1
DOSType = 0x454D5500
Activate = 1
#

and add a "mount DH0:" somewhere in startup..., don't know if that is how it is supposed to be done, but it works.

(well two icons for same drive on dektop though SYSTEM & DH0 , but it does not matter for me)

Posted on: 1/12 12:03

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

azvareth wrote:
After spending a long time thinking!

Perhaps, on the other hand, any (or most?) AOS-Like systems including classic have a DH0: if there is a HD present.

It is likely for some people without a HD and only diskdrives to be stuck with DF0: that would in theory bring up the same problem.

However this is Aros hosted under Windows (perhaps a linux issue also?) there seems to be no DH0: at all just SYS:

So I would say it is a problem with that virtual? hosted Aros, I do not say it is a problem with Icaros. As i guess you gather whatever apps and stuff you could find to make a complete solution.

No.

Quote:

However not knowing if there are more apps that reference DH0: to function properly. it would be very simple to add a line to check if DH0: is present (perhaps add a hosted flag in install scrip if not present yet), and if no DH0: is found assign it to the (virtual) startup drive.

Not a big deal for me, as I have fixed the issue, but could be confusing for someone else.

It is bad practice to hard code the device name like that (DH0) - it _should_ use SYS: if it means the system driver/volume.

Posted on: 1/12 12:10

Group:
Azvareth, the best I can do while integrating programs into the distribution is catching hardcoded paths in configuration files and change them wherever possible, but I can't really fix bad-written paths hidden in applications, nor I can simulate the presence of DH0:. IIRC, theme editor's author is Ilbarbax, the best I can do is contacting him and politely asking for a fixed version

As kalamatee told, not only writing SYS: to refer to system partition is good in general, but I have specified the same thing many many times for Icaros in particular. Hardcoding DH0: prevents a program to run not only from hosted editions, but even from native AROS booted off a USB stick.

Posted on: 1/14 9:58

From Ireland
Group:
@azvareth

It could cause problems to have two AROS "drives" that access the same Linux directory. If you really want to accommodate such buggy programs, you would be better off adding an assign:

Assign DH0: SYS:

(I'm surprised you didn't already use this solution to be honest, as you suggested using an assign in your first post )

Posted on: 1/16 16:47

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

paolone wrote:
Azvareth, the best I can do while integrating programs into the distribution is catching hardcoded paths in configuration files and change them wherever possible, but I can't really fix bad-written paths hidden in applications, nor I can simulate the presence of DH0:. IIRC, theme editor's author is Ilbarbax, the best I can do is contacting him and politely asking for a fixed version

As kalamatee told, not only writing SYS: to refer to system partition is good in general, but I have specified the same thing many many times for Icaros in particular. Hardcoding DH0: prevents a program to run not only from hosted editions, but even from native AROS booted off a USB stick.

If you have a decent hex editor it is probably possible to edit the binary and fix the paths (since it's DHx to SYS it should fit perfectly)

Posted on: 1/16 17:08

Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:

If you have a decent hex editor it is probably possible to edit the binary and fix the paths (since it's DHx to SYS it should fit perfectly)

Good workaround. However I'd need to apply it at every release of the 'offending' application, repeating every time the search and replace job. If I ask the author, however, HE will do the work once. And he will learn something useful.

Posted on: 1/17 5:28

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]