Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: (ic)AROS (xmas ed) - installing on hardware, ELF header to small ...

From Sweden
Group:
I will try to see if I could fool the system to think it is IDE or something via BIOS.

But as I said, I did install it via VirtualBox onto the actual harddrive (SSD SATA) as an SATA drive even there, the only difference was that I used the ISO file as a source, however the source is IDE.. The target HD I sat up to be SATA controller.

Under virtualBox when I boot from that SATA SSD it works, under native when I boot under the SATA SSD it does not as much, this suggest something else...

I have taken a bunch of photos, but don't think they help much, I did transfeer them to G-Photo but do not know if it works for anyone else https://goo.gl/photos/ETyUHJUHXHiuPjAe6

Posted on: 1/22 2:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi azvareth,
I've had the 'general device failure' occasionally; for me at least it seems to be connected to the drive not being able to respond quickly enough to the access requests (on my netbook I see it if I'm copying multiple files from one partiton to another). Have you tire turning off the dma for the drive in grub?

The blue folders etc. you describe sounds like AROS has booted into an 'emergency' low 4-colour mode.

By the way, I just tried to have a look at your screenshots but I'm afraid I can't see any photos on the linked page (using OWB).

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 1/22 3:26

From Sweden
Group:
About images:

I guess there is something google ads to that page... or perhaps the OWB dont have all the functionality needed (yet).

I tested myself in AROS (virtualBox) and it did not show, then in the same machine with OWB trough https://www.browserling.com/ I did see some images, but later on it crashed, something about memory, perhaps to low.

Then I tried netsurf on 68k60 but that crashed also. I guess memory issues as well.

However it seems to be able access the images even if the visitor comes from elsewhere.

Posted on: 1/22 7:19

From Sweden
Group:
About the drive:

Changed settings in BIOS to emulate IDE mode, it worked fairly well, I could use the drive as intended, no IO problems at all.

However it took like 1 minut upto 2 minutes to get from the last textline in the bootprocess until Icaros actual booted into magellan, might be the PC drives - I do not know.

Stranger yet is, when I have had Aros (ICAros) up and running and make a CTRL+ALT+DEL and reboots into Windows, one of my drives is missing (A drive that is not shown in ICAros either - guessing missing drivers). The drive shows normally in Linux and Windows.

it is an IDE controller attached to a std PCI port and let me have access IDE drives as well, that is gone. conflicts?

Is there any possibility to get a full log of AROS boot saved onto the drive (or an USB stick) during boot?

[Late Edit]
Got the drive back for some strange reason, icAros has added *.info files for all folders to that IDE root drive, is that normal?

Posted on: 1/22 12:46

Group:
Quote:

roMancer wrote:
@paolone:
"version L:sfs-handler" tells me: 1.84
using nightly of 2016-11-21
is this the SFS version you're referring to?
since when is there a version 2.xx? should it be in latest nightlies?

I was refering to ICAROS version, not SFS.

Posted on: 1/23 4:55

Group:
Quote:

azvareth wrote:

Got the drive back for some strange reason, icAros has added *.info files for all folders to that IDE root drive, is that normal?

No, unless you told Icaros to do so.

Posted on: 1/23 4:58

From Sweden
Group:
I give up icAros native on this machine for now, would have been nice to have here because sound and network worked on this MB.

specs:
Quote:

CPU
AMD A8-7650K
Kaveri 28nm Technology

RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 931MHz (10-11-10-30)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A88XM-HD3 (P0) 35 °C

Graphics
Viseo 240DX (1920x1080@59Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 Graphics (Gigabyte) 22 °C

Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM 003-1ER162 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 24 °C
119GB Corsair Force GS SATA Disk Device (SSD) 29 °C
74GB Western Digital WDC WD80 0JB-00CRA1 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)

Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Z SATA CdRom Device
Read capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
Write capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

There is unfortunatly no internal IDE connectors on the MB so I can't resort to that without the IDE PCI controller addon, and I tried to install Icaros to that drive as well, and access to it works in Windows and virtualBox.

But when booting in native mode, I get to grub screen, the black screen with all white texts, then it halts at AROS, insert bootable media screen.

If anyone have a slightest idea if it is possible to run (and how ) (ic)AROS native on this MB I would appreciate a hint.

Here is some other things/questions:

WHEN I succesfully install AROS, the installer only allocate a partion of 7.8 GB even if I told the installer to use the whole drive. -How to use whole drive? I have never before run into this "error". This is true both on the SSD SATA drive and then on the mechanical IDE drive (the 74GB drive), both installed to physical drive from VBox.

Somebody mentioned not to use DMA on SYS: drive and turn it off in GRUB,
I googled and found that one could do a IDE=nodma,
does this work for SATA SSD drives as well? or should it be SATA=nodma?

Could the CPU or some other HW, memory or USB or things,
somehow be (partly) responsible for the odd behaviour?

Last is it possible to log the boot procedure to drive or a USB stick
to see where things does not work.

Posted on: 1/23 12:04

Edited by azvareth on 2017/1/23 15:20:53

Group:
Quote:

azvareth wrote:
I give up icAros native on this machine for now, would have been nice to have here because sound and network worked on this MB.

1) Somebody mentioned not to use DMA on SYS: drive and turn it off in GRUB,
I googled and found that one could do a IDE=nodma,
does this work for SATA SSD drives as well? or should it be SATA=nodma?

2) Could the CPU or some other HW, memory or USB or things,
somehow be (partly) responsible for the odd behaviour?

3) Last is it possible to log the boot procedure to drive or a USB stick
to see where things does not work.

Why givin' up?

1. there's a wordy description of the procedure on Icaros Desktop manual, have a look at it too. It works for SSD drives too.

2. Somebody with better skills than me will answer.

3. Why just logging to USB? In the meanwhile you may want to install Icaros Desktop on a USB pendrive (use a 8 or 16 GB USB 2 model). This will let you forget about problems given by the SATA drives. System won't be considerably slower than it would be on an ATA disk.

Posted on: 1/24 6:47

From Sweden
Group:
Thank you... Yes it is working with USB Boot and by using (thanks to another reply) ATA=32Bit,nodma - the boot process is faster for some reason.

Actually I tried the same thing later on the IDE drive and did manage to boot from it and run some apps, but it crashed out the SFS handler or something complained on beeing unable to write (or something) to the drive, got a lot of requesters about it. So I did an reset and boot into USB stick again and that SFS handler (or something) said something about an unfinished transaction that needed to be adressed, it said it fixed it then everything did continue as normal.

However I have yet another question. When I click on the DOPUS desktop a screen menu strip telling me about free memory and tasks, the task strip is constantly counting down, I started at (when noticed) around -70 task, now when I am finnishing this post I am at -580 task and counting. Is that supposed to be that way? I guess not that is why I am asking.

Posted on: 1/24 12:36

Group:
Quote:

azvareth wrote:

However I have yet another question. When I click on the DOPUS desktop a screen menu strip telling me about free memory and tasks, the task strip is constantly counting down, I started at (when noticed) around -70 task, now when I am finnishing this post I am at -580 task and counting. Is that supposed to be that way? I guess not that is why I am asking.

Hi. Never noticed this. Maybe you should ask DOPUS5 team about this.

Posted on: 1/24 14:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]