Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

impulse, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

aros install media on USB: Can't seem to swing it

From USA
Group:
So I've set up Icaros on VMware with success. I have a spare netbook that's been collecting dust and thought I'd try either AspireOS or Icaros Lite. The problem is neither is booting from my USB install media.

I've used Unetbootin (that really didn't work) and Rufus (created media that got to the "Waiting for boot device" AROS screen and hung) to write the ISO's to the usb. That didn't work that well. I've verified that my ISO files are correct as I've used them to book into vmware and on virtualbox. It seems to be the process of writing them to disk that's causing issue.

Is there a trick here to create bootable USB media or is it even possible? I've also verified the media won't work in any other PC I own so it's not hardware or BIOS specific.

Posted on: 2/4 16:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: aros install media on USB: Can't seem to swing it

Group:
There's a few ways to do it, but the method I use is to install to USB from an iso in Virtualbox. Just make sure you disable the usb device under Windows, then add it in VB settings.
Once you've done that just live boot from an iso (in VB) and run the AROS installer as normal, selecting the USB device as the install to media. The installed system will then boot from any system. Its also a method that will get AROS running on some systems that are otherwise tricky to get AROS to install on.

Posted on: 2/4 20:40

Group:
Hi,

Welcome, there is no way currently to put the iso image whole onto a usb stick and boot the iso from there.

The install has to happen from the ISO image via VB etc or burnt to CD / DVD.

The usual install uses AROSInstaller to create SFS based partitions on the usb pendrive (Make sure USB is the target), reboot and then use AROSInstaller to install.

The advantage of this is that the usb stick can be transferred to other machines to test.

Jeff

Posted on: 2/4 23:35

Group:

Posted on: 2/5 3:27

From USA
Group:
Well nuts. Luckily I have a 5.25 external USB enclosure I used to use for a HTPC so I can set this up, but I find it weird AspireOS which was designed for netbooks wouldn't support install from a USB stick. Especially since laptops without disc drives are becoming more common place.

Posted on: 2/5 22:38

Group:
Hi

That's something distributors can't do very much about: unluckily it is an AROS limitation.

Posted on: 2/6 5:31

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

Kaplah wrote:
Well nuts. Luckily I have a 5.25 external USB enclosure I used to use for a HTPC so I can set this up, but I find it weird AspireOS which was designed for netbooks wouldn't support install from a USB stick. Especially since laptops without disc drives are becoming more common place.

I don't have much experience with AspireOS, but AROS in general does support installation from a USB stick. You just have to prepare that stick through a VM as others have indicated. (If you have trouble getting your VM to access the stick, you could also burn a CD/DVD, boot that on any PC with an optical drive and install to a stick connected to that PC.)

Posted on: 2/6 6:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]