Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users





ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2004/4/7 4:26
Group:
Member
Posts: 4347
Offline
Hi

I have noticed that some of the Zune classes commonly available in AROS builds are distributed independently too, on archives.aros-exec.org and aminet, together with their builds for other amiga platforms. These builds are generally more advanced than the ones provided with AROS, however

1. TheBar.mcc ---> the aminet release has been updated just a few days ago, but it looks for crawling.mui instead of crawling.mcc (which has been the right library name among AROS classes for many years now). Result is that, if I wish to use TheBar, I need to keep a very old version of crawling.mui along with current .mcc, otherwise it won't work. I tried copying crawling.mcc to crawling.mui and keep both files updated, but programs using TheBar don't work correctly with this solution.

Funny: I also looked on sourceforge, and noticed that Mazze has changed the name in sources, but someone reverted the change "to stop breaking things".

2. other classes ---> open Zune preferences. While classes included in AROS builds show their icons in the left menu with right colors, the same classes downloaded from The Archives still have broken images. Well, not all of them, but most of.

Question is: instead of keeping our own version of these classes in our sources, wouldn't make more sense fixing the ones in their original repos, and keep our builds in sync with the "official" ones?

Should people developing those classes made aware of some changes in AROS, or given new files to compile with? Because - I am no coder, please forgive my ignorant jargon - I have the feeling that their builds for AROS i386 might use some old settings we have changed so far.


Posted on: 2/23 5:15
_________________
p.bes
Icaros Desktop AROS distribution mantainer
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2004/3/29 9:54
From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Member
Posts: 2024
Offline
Quote:

paolone wrote:
Hi

I have noticed that some of the Zune classes commonly available in AROS builds are distributed independently too, on archives.aros-exec.org and aminet, together with their builds for other amiga platforms. These builds are generally more advanced than the ones provided with AROS, however

1. TheBar.mcc ---> the aminet release has been updated just a few days ago, but it looks for crawling.mui instead of crawling.mcc (which has been the right library name among AROS classes for many years now). Result is that, if I wish to use TheBar, I need to keep a very old version of crawling.mui along with current .mcc, otherwise it won't work. I tried copying crawling.mcc to crawling.mui and keep both files updated, but programs using TheBar don't work correctly with this solution.

Funny: I also looked on sourceforge, and noticed that Mazze has changed the name in sources, but someone reverted the change "to stop breaking things".

2. other classes ---> open Zune preferences. While classes included in AROS builds show their icons in the left menu with right colors, the same classes downloaded from The Archives still have broken images. Well, not all of them, but most of.

Question is: instead of keeping our own version of these classes in our sources, wouldn't make more sense fixing the ones in their original repos, and keep our builds in sync with the "official" ones?

Should people developing those classes made aware of some changes in AROS, or given new files to compile with? Because - I am no coder, please forgive my ignorant jargon - I have the feeling that their builds for AROS i386 might use some old settings we have changed so far.



No because people would need to download them separately. If someone pointlessly uploads them or broken versions of them to aros archives or wherever is irrelevant.

Posted on: 2/23 5:28
_________________
Click to see original Image in a new window
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2004/4/7 4:26
Group:
Member
Posts: 4347
Offline
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
No because people would need to download them separately. If someone pointlessly uploads them or broken versions of them to aros archives or wherever is irrelevant.


Agreed. But when they are broken, not when they are 2 versions newer (and release information says '2016' instead of '2014').

I'm now testing them with current build and applications to see if they break anything.

Posted on: 2/23 5:42

Edited by paolone on 2017/2/23 6:41:07
_________________
p.bes
Icaros Desktop AROS distribution mantainer
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2004/3/29 9:54
From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Member
Posts: 2024
Offline
Quote:

paolone wrote:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
No because people would need to download them separately. If someone pointlessly uploads them or broken versions of them to aros archives or wherever is irrelevant.


Agreed. But when they are broken, not when they are 2 versions newer (and release information says '2016' instead of '2014').


Generally the components we use in AROS get updated if people have time or are aware there has been an update, but since the internet is a big thing its not always easy to follow everything that is happening, and AROS is made up of many pieces of code - so this doesn't always happen immediately.

Suffice to say it isn't an issue - The versions used in AROS have been adapted by the AROS devs to work in/with AROS correctly, and that may not always be the case for external code. That also isn't to say the external code may not have bug fixes we want - just that the versions we have are what worked when developing things that use them.

It isn't important to always have the newest code in the repository, even if it would be nice ;)

Quote:

I'm now testing them with current build and applications to see if they break anything.


Well as a distro maintainer it is of course your responsibility to choose which versions you use, and if something is more appealing/works better use that. I guess part of the whole flexibility of AmigaOS like systems is you aren't strictly forced to use the versions of components that come with it ;)

Posted on: 2/23 7:46
_________________
Click to see original Image in a new window
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2004/10/30 17:13
From Ireland
Group:
Member
Posts: 2633
Offline
Quote:

paolone wrote:

1. TheBar.mcc ---> the aminet release has been updated just a few days ago, but it looks for crawling.mui instead of crawling.mcc (which has been the right library name among AROS classes for many years now). Result is that, if I wish to use TheBar, I need to keep a very old version of crawling.mui along with current .mcc, otherwise it won't work. I tried copying crawling.mcc to crawling.mui and keep both files updated, but programs using TheBar don't work correctly with this solution.

Funny: I also looked on sourceforge, and noticed that Mazze has changed the name in sources, but someone reverted the change "to stop breaking things".


I think I got the latest version from Github or similar. I didn't see ".mui" hardcoded anywhere, so it's possible the TheBar developers are using an outdated compilation environment for AROS. I was thinking of advising them of this.

Quote:

2. other classes ---> open Zune preferences. While classes included in AROS builds show their icons in the left menu with right colors, the same classes downloaded from The Archives still have broken images. Well, not all of them, but most of.


I'm not sure why some classes have broken images. If you give specific examples I might find time to take a look. Screenshots might help too.

Posted on: 2/23 12:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2005/8/17 16:00
From Germany
Group:
Member
Posts: 2214
Offline
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:

I'm not sure why some classes have broken images.


Because that fix was never backported to the original repository.
https://trac.aros.org/trac/changeset/51615/AROS

I'll send a mail to Thore and Jens.



Posted on: 2/23 12:45
_________________
AROS - Make code, not war
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2004/10/30 17:13
From Ireland
Group:
Member
Posts: 2633
Offline
@mazze

I see. Thanks.

Posted on: 2/24 6:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: ZUNE classes on aminet and archives.aros-exec

Joined:
2004/4/7 4:26
Group:
Member
Posts: 4347
Offline
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:

I think I got the latest version from Github or similar. I didn't see ".mui" hardcoded anywhere, so it's possible the TheBar developers are using an outdated compilation environment for AROS. I was thinking of advising them of this.


Which is, basically, what I suggested to do. Thank you.

(and Mazze)

Posted on: 2/24 8:30
_________________
p.bes
Icaros Desktop AROS distribution mantainer
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer






You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]


Search
Top Posters
1 paolone
paolone
4347
2 magorium
magorium
4095
3 phoenixkonsole
phoenixkonsole
3891
4 nikolaos
nikolaos
3677
5 deadwood
deadwood
2923
6 ncafferkey
ncafferkey
2633
7 mazze
mazze
2214
8 clusteruk
clusteruk
2104
9 Kalamatee
Kalamatee
2024
10 damocles
damocles
1789
© 2004-2017 AROS Exec