Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 (2)


Re: First run Icaros (xmas edition) hosted on ubuntu

Joined:
2/24 18:12
From Tampa FL
Group:
Member
Posts: 4
Offline
Ok, so, if I understand correctly, I need to verify that my linux installation has the ALSA system (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) installed and AROS/ICAROS needs it to use sound.

I verified with cat /proc/asound/version, and my linux reports driver version k4.4.0.62-generic

Then I went to verify that libasound.so.2 was there, tried sudo apt-get install libasound2

The report indicated
libasound2 is already the newest version (1.1.0-0ubuntu1)

Tried running icaros again. This time I looked more in detail the terminal window:

[tap] couldn't perform TUNSETIFF on TAP device (1)
[AROSTCP] OpenDevice: Device or unit failed to open

...
and then a few lines later

[ALSA] failed to open libasound.so.2

And the AROS window shows:

Can't find sys.Utilities/FryingPan/Libs

(maybe because I told it not to install packages yet... as I have already done it a few times)

So...

The original suggestion of using the void (null?) sound driver... is that even possible to configure before booting Icaros? Could that allow me to run?

Would I be better trying to install it on a 32-bit version of Linux?

(I have a Linux Mint which I think is 32-bit on a different partition, although I have some different issues with that one, but maybe that's an option?). Unfortunately my wifi card doesn't seem to work fine with that linux installation, so I may just be replacing some problems with other problems....

Thank you again! I'm learning a few things along the way.



Posted on: 2/25 6:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: First run Icaros (xmas edition) hosted on ubuntu

Joined:
2016/8/16 0:09
Group:
Member
Posts: 259
Offline
Quote:

juan_fla wrote:
Ok, so, if I understand correctly, I need to verify that my linux installation has the ALSA system (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) installed and AROS/ICAROS needs it to use sound.

That is correct.

Quote:

I verified with cat /proc/asound/version, and my linux reports driver version k4.4.0.62-generic

Then I went to verify that libasound.so.2 was there, tried sudo apt-get install libasound2

The report indicated
libasound2 is already the newest version (1.1.0-0ubuntu1)

In your first post you wrote:
Quote:

Host OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (64 bits)

And you are running a 32 application (AROS) in 32 bit user space (on your host OS that is 64 bit).

afaik, that requires you to have 32 bit alsa driver to be installed on your 64-bit host OS.

See also: askubuntu

(note that i simply picked the first hit, please do the sensible thing there and search yourself on the subject on how to run 32 bit applications on a 64 bit OS (and in your case _your_ specific OS).

Quote:

Tried running icaros again. This time I looked more in detail the terminal window:

[tap] couldn't perform TUNSETIFF on TAP device (1)
[AROSTCP] OpenDevice: Device or unit failed to open

AROS startup script was most probably unable to make use of TAP device as well -> also requires 32 bit driver afaik,.

Quote:

...
and then a few lines later

[ALSA] failed to open libasound.so.2

That is ALSA (host OS) related (small chance it is AROS at fault there, especially since tap device also failed), the AROS side is unable to locate your 32 bit ALSA library.

Quote:

And the AROS window shows:

Can't find sys.Utilities/FryingPan/Libs

paolone should have that fixed already.

Using an older version perhaps ?

Also it could be that Icaros installation got borked along the way.

It does not matter much atm. Fixing fryingpan will not not help you to get internet and sound working for your hosted icaros

Quote:

(maybe because I told it not to install packages yet... as I have already done it a few times)

As said, unimportant atm.

Quote:

The original suggestion of using the void (null?) sound driver... is that even possible to configure before booting Icaros? Could that allow me to run?

uhm, good question.

I'm running void on my window install, but then again that was not the latest icaros (with scripted host installer).

I don't know for sure what make icaros determined to load ALSA other than that you have ALSA driver present inside AROS' drivers directory of Icaros (perhaps paolone can help us out there).

Quote:

Would I be better trying to install it on a 32-bit version of Linux?

Your choice. either learn how to run 32 bit applications (and install required subsystem+drivers) on your 64 bit os or bail out and use a 32-bit host OS

Quote:

Thank you again! I'm learning a few things along the way.

In that case i do hope my write up was useful.

Posted on: 2/25 6:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: First run Icaros (xmas edition) hosted on ubuntu

Joined:
2004/4/7 4:26
Group:
Member
Posts: 4340
Offline
@Origami

Ah, ok. Now I understand what you was talking about.


@Juan_Fla

1. About frying pan libs not opening, please read this:
http://vmwaros.blogspot.it/2016/12/th ... ave-really-nice-2017.html

It's time I retire the Xmas Preview of Icaros Desktop 2.2, I guess.

2. about ALSA and TAP, please follow origami suggestions about running the 32bit environment correctly in your 64bit host.


@All

Please notice I will never do Linux or Windows support for running Icaros. Having Icaros environment run correctly is my duty, but preparing the host ambient to run Icaros upon it is user's. I don't have neither the skills, nor the time to offer multiplatform support. Sorry.

Posted on: 2/25 8:39
_________________
p.bes
Icaros Desktop AROS distribution mantainer
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer



« 1 (2)



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]


Search
Top Posters
1 paolone
paolone
4340
2 magorium
magorium
4095
3 phoenixkonsole
phoenixkonsole
3887
4 nikolaos
nikolaos
3677
5 deadwood
deadwood
2923
6 ncafferkey
ncafferkey
2616
7 mazze
mazze
2207
8 clusteruk
clusteruk
2073
9 Kalamatee
Kalamatee
2023
10 damocles
damocles
1789
© 2004-2017 AROS Exec