Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

Kalamatee, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Components for multiboot system

From Germany
Group:
Hello,

I'm actually building another Dual-CPU system based on a Supermicro X7DWN+ server board:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/mo ... /Xeon1333/5400/X7DWN_.cfm

Some modifications will be neccessary because the board has only PCI-E x8 ports, it also has no audio. But that's not so bad at all. Of course it should be a multiboot system:

- Windows
- OSx86
- AROS
- MS-DOS 6.22 (not FreeDOS)

I've checked the components, the Soundblaster Live! 5.1 should be compatible to all operating systems, including MS-DOS. It also features a game port, which is missing on all boards today.

The problem is as usual the graphics card. In the wiki about supported graphic cards is this statement:

"The best graphics card a person can buy for AROS is a 9800gtx, followed by other 9800 variations, followed by 9600GT, followed by 8800GTS."

So the best graphics card should be the GeForce 9800GTX+. It seems that it is OSx86-compatible, too.

I can get a Soundblaster Live! and a XFX GeForce 9800GTX+ Black Edition. Are these components compatible to AROS, including 3D graphics support?

Greets

Posted on: 3/8 12:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Components for multiboot system

Group:
Sorry, just a question: are you sure the 2 PCI-X cards slots are compatible with traditional PCI boards like the SB Live! 5.1?

Posted on: 3/8 14:00

From Germany
Group:
Yes. PCI-X is just a 64bit Extension for PCI. The important thing are the bars in the port. The bar at front identifies that the PCI slot is 3.3V, like on my board. The Soundblaster has noteches at the front and at the back, so it's compatible to 3.3V and 5V PCI slots. More about PCI-X here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

PCI-X cards *can* be backward-compatible. I have two PCI-X cards in my other server system, a LaCie Firewire 800 card made for the PowerMac and an LSI Dual-Wide-SCSI-controller. They are working in a standard (32bit) PCI slot on every board, but don't have the 64 bit abilities then.

It's the same like with PCI-Express. You can use a x1 card in an x16 slot, but you also can use a PCI-E x16 card in an x8 slot, but don't have all lanes for maximum speed. My board has four PCI-E x8 slots, one only with x4 speed. I have to cut a hole at the end of the x8 slots for the graphic card. According to some tests, even at gaming it the speed difference between x16 and x8 ist just between 2 to 10% lower, so it's not very important.

Posted on: 3/8 14:41

Edited by RC_tech on 2017/3/8 15:08:26

From Germany
Group:
It's weird, I have a place where to find the coolest items. Actually there's another server board there, including RAM and two CPUs. Specs are not bad:

http://www.tyan.com/Motherboards_S5375_S5375AG2NR

The weirdest thing I found there was another Tyan or Supermicro board, for two Pentium II Slot 1 and nine (!) PCI slots. But I didn't buy it, the format of this board was so unusual, it would have fit in no case.

A Dual-CPU board is an interesting project. First, they look cool because the boards are so huge. The quadcore processors of the Xeon E54xx oder L54xx series are cheap, starting at 10 Euro. Server boards also take a lot of memory, and I got 64 GB of DDR2/667 Fully Buffered RAM for just 70 Euro. A great case for a project like this is the Coolermaster Cosmos 1000, now I'm trying an Aerocool Aero 800 with a black glass window. Although it's stated as ATX case, the Supermicro board fits in it, and they're using their own size Enhanced E-ATX which is larger than Extended ATX. The whole case is filled with the board, and even the 15,5 cm high Fujitsu CPU coolers fit in. But an usual 5,25" DVD drive won't fit in the length, probably a slimline DVD drive will work.

Posted on: 3/8 15:14

Group:
Hi,

I believe there is a thread recently restarted that discusses the issues with gtx 9800s 8800s. It is very dependent on the brand which most people do not disclose when they test. I would find find out the exact make and version details EXACTLY else wait for an improved driver. I am going to remove that statement about 9800 to avoid confusion.

Jeff

Posted on: 3/8 18:28

From Germany
Group:
Do you mean this thread?

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/vi ... php?topic_id=8762&forum=4

I already posted there, but Kalamantee said I should start a new thread. So I did.

So, if there are compatibility issues (and there may be enough), why is the forum not creating a wiki like in the OSx86 scene? The are listing compatible baords, bards, laptops etc. since version 10.4.1, with error descriptions etc.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.4.1

10.4.1 is the first OSx86 version available, 11 years ago. Now version 10.12.4 is coming, this are 63 subversions since then. And for every version exists a wiki like this.

Wouldn't it be possible to do something similar? Not just comments like *may be working* *possibly* *depends on manufacturer* etc.? A real wiki with manufacturers, device ID's and a full error description. Especcially for laptops or netbooks this would be useful.

Posted on: 3/9 0:26

Edited by RC_tech on 2017/3/9 0:50:56
Edited by RC_tech on 2017/3/9 0:53:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.