Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

Kalamatee, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

AmiSSL 4.1 Release

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
This is version 4.1 of the AmiSSL library for Amiga based operating systems and the first public open-source based release of AmiSSL. Version 4.x is a new major release which comes with full compatibility to the OpenSSL 1.1.x line which includes important security related fixes and comes with new encryption ciphers which are required nowadays to connect to modern SSL-based services (e.g. HTTPS). However, due to fundamental changes in the API between the old AmiSSLv3 and new v4 versions and the large changes between the old OpenSSL 0.9.x and the new OpenSSL 1.1.x line applications have to be recompiled with
the updated AmiSSL SDK to take full advantage of the modernized OpenSSL 1.1.x API. Besides that fundamental change, AmiSSLv4 can be installed on top of a AmiSSLv3 installation while still ensuring that applications compiled for AmiSSLv3 will continue to work properly.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
This release comes with binaries for the AmigaOS4/PPC and AmigaOS3/m68k platform only. Unfortunately, due to lack of motivated developers we couldn't provide native binaries for the MorphOS/PPC or AROS (PPC, i386, x86_64) platform in time. If you are, however, interested in seeing AmiSSL v4 being ported for these other Amiga-based platforms, please try to find motivated and talented developers who could join our team as proper maintainers for these alternative platforms. In addition, if you are a MorphOS or AROS developer
yourself, feel free to send proper pull requests to see your platform supported in one of the next releases or please consider joining our team.

Requirements:

AmigaOS 4.0+/PPC, AmigaOS 3.0+/68020+ or MorphOS

Changes:

Updated OpenSSL backend to full compatibility to latest OpenSSL 1.1.0e (16.02.2017) version.
MorphOS can now be selected as an install target with the OS3/m68k version being installed. For a native PPC version we would require some work to be done by some talented MorphOS developers.
Added some m68k asm replacement code for potentially speeding up BN calculation routines.
Added AmiUpdate compatibility.
included a newlib compiled version of libamisslauto.a.
Minor improvements/Fixes for install script.

Please find the necessary installation archive as a lha archive file attached to this release. The file size of this file is 5.6 MB and the SHA256 checksum for it is:

AmiSSL v4.1: Download

Attach file:

jpg  AmiSSL.jpg (19.03 KB)
3226_58cacf572593e.jpg 439X208 px

Posted on: 3/16 10:13

Edited by amiga on 2017/3/16 10:42:28
Edited by amiga on 2017/3/16 10:45:59
Edited by amiga on 2017/3/16 18:24:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: AmiSSL 4.1 Release

Group:
No Aros developer is interested (it seems) in solving the issues when building it for Aros.

Posted on: 3/17 1:38

Group:
Is it even required? What version of openssl is in use for AROS Odyssey? Could be we've already got it, just under its original name.
Also, just because no-one immediately offers to do the work doesn't mean no-one is interested. In case you hadn't noticed AROS developers have their hands full with much more interesting stuff at the moment.

Posted on: 3/17 2:10

Group:
Quote:

beezle wrote:
Is it even required?

YAM and Simplemail NEED it to connect to secure mail servers.

Quote:

In case you hadn't noticed AROS developers have their hands full with much more interesting stuff at the moment.

FinalWriter ??

Posted on: 3/17 2:22

From Hungary
Group:
I can understand the lack of motivation, since existing programs has to be recompiled whether they want to use AmiSSL4 or OpenSSL 1.x. We already have the latter, and I'm not aware of any AROS programs that use AmiSSL4. Maybe YAM will, since it's maintained by the same team, but SimpleMail already uses OpenSSL.

Posted on: 3/17 3:41

Group:
Hi. Next releases of Google drive and Dropbox handlers will be based on AmiSSL and the author, due to lack of AmiSSL on AROS, is ditching support to out platform. Sad but true, I guess AmiSSL should need some consideration from us, if we wish some programs for the 'other' Amiga-like systems being ported to our one.

By the way, having a common SSL implementation would be good. I'm not trying to compare orange and apples, but life would have been more sad if we hadn't, for issue, AHI as a common sound system.

Posted on: 3/17 3:53

Group:
Can anyone explain needs of that native amigassl port ? I mean, what wrong with staticaly linked openssl libs, which have no needs to be wrapped by amiga-native-library-only-for-make-it-look-more-amiga. Or i miss something and amissl doing something and give us something which pure openssl port (./configure;make) can't ?

Posted on: 3/17 6:22

Join us to port dopus5 to amigang platforms here

From Hungary
Group:
@paolone
Things are not set in stone regarding this.

Posted on: 3/17 6:36

From Hungary
Group:
@kas1e_ar
AmiSSL was good because you could switch to more up to date (and secure) OpenSSL versions without recompiling every single program that uses it. Enter OpenSSL 1.x, the API changed, so they had to do the same with AmiSSL to update it.

Posted on: 3/17 6:40

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
I got into coding open source by learning to update patches to Linux kernels for newer versions. It isn't complicated if you actually invest the time, and can be very gratifying when you finally learn something and get tangible results.

My point is there's a lot of people whining but have everything at their disposal to actually contribute something back to AROS in the nature of open source - but none seem to take it and want someone else to do all the work for them. Its no wonder our community/software base is so small.

If even a handful bothered it would make a dramatic difference to the amount of software available, but I guess its wasted breath...

Posted on: 3/17 7:17

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]