Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Motherboard update

From Italy
Group:
Few days ago I swapped my old faulty Asus M2N-SLI with an HP IPIBL-LB (made by Asus). It has a Core Due Duo 3ghz, 2 gb ddr2 800mhz, Geforce 210 pci-e and Intel Pro 100 pci. This motherboard has an High Definition Audio chip onboard and PCITool tell me it has an onboard RTL8111/8168/8411. The board has only one pci slot, so the card I keept from the old motherboard was the ethernet one (I had a Soundblaster on the old motherboard). With this motherboard i have 3 issues and I don't know if this board is faulty or not.

1) Whatching videos on Facebook, suddently the audio chip stops working. Tried to play something with Mplayer that tell me the audio is not available. Sometimes this happens watching videos with Mplayer.

2) Trying to use the onboard ethernet freezes AROS suddently. The driver used is rtl8168.device. Is that the right driver to use? If I remember right, it's the same chip found in the Aspire One and the it works well. So now I'm using the intel Pro 100 and it works almost well... I say almost, because OWB now waits about 6 /10 seconds to start, and then it works well.

3) The clock is always many hours wrong... but this may be the rtc battery. I'll try to replace it soon.

So... it's a driver issue or a faulty motherboard? There is no Windows installed on this computer.

Posted on: 3/23 12:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Motherboard update

Group:
Hi,

1) You could try copying device from storage/ahi and storage/audiomode (something like that) to sys: respective directories.

2) you can try rtl8169 afaik

3) have this issue with laptops - not really solved yet

Regards

Posted on: 3/23 21:38

From Italy
Group:
Quote:

jeffrey1138 wrote:
Hi,

Hi.

Quote:

1) You could try copying device from storage/ahi and storage/audiomode (something like that) to sys: respective directories.

Found hdaudio.audio 6026 into storage/ahi. Tried to replace the older 6.25 found on devs:ahi, but it seems to not work. Found also storage/hdaudio/hdaudio.config. This file is also into env-archive. What else should I look for?

Quote:

2) you can try rtl8169 afaik

THANKS!!! It works now. Still OWB waits few seconds to start. PCITool describes the ethernet chip compatible with 8168... why it works with 8169? ANd why AROS is freezed until OWB starts?

Quote:

3) have this issue with laptops - not really solved yet

Replaced the battery. The old one was 1.08 volts. Hope this solved the problem... I'll discover this tomorrow.

Posted on: 3/24 14:50

Group:
Hi,

Sorry I was not clear, please see attached pics. It helps a bit for me but playing a few videos does bring it back. Hopefully, will be looked at some time. Using device, AHI prefs sometimes do not save or reset unexpectedly.

I cannot help with OWB as I copy the directory to RAM: (which takes a few moments) and run it from there. Nice and fast with no disk accessing.

Jeff

Attach file:

png  AHI1.png (267.78 KB)
1185_58d5fb13eebf6.png 1280X800 px

png  AHI2.png (261.15 KB)
1185_58d5fb23e26ca.png 1280X800 px

Posted on: 3/24 22:11

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
Quote:

Found hdaudio.audio 6026 into storage/ahi. Tried to replace the older 6.25 found on devs:ahi, but it seems to not work. Found also storage/hdaudio/hdaudio.config. This file is also into env-archive. What else should I look for?

hdaudio is very hit or miss - it can either work for you or just be a complete failure and make no sound at all. There are some config options in a prefs file that may help (search on the forums for hdaudio to find related threads).

Posted on: 3/24 23:43

From Italy
Group:
@jeffrey1138

device.audio is already installed and working. At least with my old Soundblaster. I launch OWB from ram too. But it freezes AROS for at least 10 seconds until it starts, once started everything is ok.

Check your laptop's battery. Maybe is enough to keep the cmos setting but not for keep the clock going.

@Kalamatee

Thanks for the info. Now I'm back to my old Soundblaster and now it seems to work as expected. Do you have any clue about why OWB freezes AROS? With the old motherboard never had this problem...

Posted on: 3/25 11:57

From Ireland
Group:
@Yanosh

Does everything freeze while OWB is starting? E.g. does the mouse pointer freeze? Do other programs keep running?

Posted on: 3/27 13:13

From Italy
Group:
Can move the mouse pointer and change screen, but this is all I can do until OWB starts. Everything doesn't move, the clock (sys:utilities/clock) is freezed too and when OWB starts the time is updated. Sometimes is less than 10 seconds, sometimes more. I've not reinstalled Icaros after the motherboard update. Can this be a problem?

Posted on: 3/27 13:41

From Ireland
Group:
I don't think it should matter that you didn't reinstall Icaros. If you've switched from ata.device to ahci.device (which would happen automatically), it might make a difference. You could try using PATA emulation in the BIOS or disabling ahci.device (all assuming you're using a SATA HD).

Posted on: 3/27 16:40

From Italy
Group:
Quote:

ncafferkey wrote:
I don't think it should matter that you didn't reinstall Icaros. If you've switched from ata.device to ahci.device (which would happen automatically), it might make a difference.

I don't understand what you do mean.

Quote:

You could try using PATA emulation in the BIOS

This is the default setting in the bios, and I didn't change that to avoid possible problems.

Quote:

or disabling ahci.device

Does this helps even if I'm using PATA emulation and lauch OWB from ram disk?

Quote:

(all assuming you're using a SATA HD).

Yes, this motherboard has only a sata controller. But I used sata hd (with pata emulation) on the old motherboard too, and I thought it wasn't relevant.

Posted on: 3/28 12:47

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.