Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lot of questions

From Italy
Group:
Sometimes I make backups on usb for updating Icaros (or sadly for a faulty hd). I was wondering... why we don't have an official way to backup the system? Something to make a sort of "snapshot" of everything on the hd. For doing this I have 2 ways:
1) With InstallAROS partition an usb stick with 2 or more partitions, then install grub and finally manually copy everything on usb stick. This is a bit boring and installing only grub doesn't install the arch directory. Can I copy the arch directory fom hd to usb or grub still relies on files at specific block on hd?
2) Boot as usual and with InstallAROS start to install everything on the usb stick as you should do when booting from cd/dvd. Everything will be copied on the usb stick as if it were started from cd/dvd. This is much handy, but it doesn't copy all the extra directories created by the user and doesn't copy the contents of the other partitions. Plus at end of installation starts the installer for unpacking the Icaros archives and at first boot from the usb stick it ask for configuration.
I think it would be usefull adding an option to InstallAROS to make backups of user directories and other partitions than dh1. Just as example on my system I have dh0, dh1, dh2, dh3. Is this feasible in some way? I'm not a coder, but I think it shouldn't be toot much work. Or not?

Months ago my hd died and I had just the time to backup the most important things on usb, and as the motherboard was faulty too, I reinstalled only Icaros. Now I have a better motherboard and I'd like to install Windows too. Can it be installed even if it's not in the first partition? Or does it need to be the first OS on the hd? And what about the hidden partition it needs to create? Can I install it on a separate hd? Maybe moving the Icaros' hd on a different channel? I do need to install grub again, isn't it?

Is there a way to change the device name of a cd/dvd drive? I mean without moving it on a different ide/sata channel.

Is there an easy way to make a bootable cd/dvd? Uhmm... I think I asked this some years ago, but maybe now something has changed, at least so I hope.

We now have SysMon, SysEplorer, AcpiTool and PCITool. Why not merge all these programs into a more complete one? All of them show some parts of the system, so why leave them separate? And do we still need Showconfig? It doesn't even start and what it does is done much better by the other utilities.

Posted on: 4/2 12:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]