Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Building another dual boot pc

From Italy
Group:
Since I'm having some trouble installing Windows on my AROS box, I've built another one and it will be the pc for doing things that AROS can't do. The "new" one is built around a Gigabyte GA-945GZM-S2 and it's fully supported by AROS. It has 1 sata 80 gb hd for Windows and 1 pata hd for AROS... everything seems to works as expected... the only thing that doesn't work is GRUB. It was installed on the pata hd but the system boots from the sata one, and that is without GRUB, so it boots straight into Windows. I can boot AROS only with the boot menu provided by the bios and selecting manually the pata hd. Can I install GRUB manually with install-grub2-i386-pc? If yes, how?

Posted on: 5/1 15:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Building another dual boot pc

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
The best option is probably to tell your BIOS to boot off the AROS hard disk, and put an option in grub for windows.

Posted on: 5/1 15:38

From Ireland
Group:
If AROS sees the SATA disk, you should be able get the AROS installer to install the GRUB bootblock on it (even though AROS itself is on the PATA disk). When you get to the "Grub Settings" options, enter the details for the SATA disk. It could be ahci.device unit 0 (look in HDToolBox beforehand to find out).

Posted on: 5/1 18:32

From Italy
Group:
Ok, the sata hd is unit 4 and now I can boot AROS as usual... but now I can't boot Windows. This is the grub's error:

Error: no such partition.

Press any key to continue...

Now I can't boot into Windows selecting manually the sata hd, because now it stops with the word "GRUB" printed on screen and nothing happens.

This is the Windows' menu:

menuentry "Microsoft Windows" {
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

Tried to change hd0 from 0 to 4, but then Grub fails to find the hd. The sata hd has 3 partition:

1 100mb reserved
1 15gb primary partition for Windows
1 extended partition with 2 logical partitions

To go back with the old behaviour should I fix the mbr of the sata hd?

Posted on: 5/2 15:24

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
Ok, the sata hd is unit 4 and now I can boot AROS as usual... but now I can't boot Windows. This is the grub's error:

Error: no such partition.

Press any key to continue...

Now I can't boot into Windows selecting manually the sata hd, because now it stops with the word "GRUB" printed on screen and nothing happens.

This is the Windows' menu:

menuentry "Microsoft Windows" {
chainloader (hd0,1)+1

just for sanity I would use ...

menuentry "Microsoft Windows" {

insmod chain
    insmod ntfs
    set root
=(hd0,1)

chainloader +1
}

And FWIW, I would -:

A> never overwrite the windows bootblock, and make sure you back it up in case of accidents.
B> Always use the BIOS to boot from the "other" drive rather than the windows drive (and let the windows drive be the first connected). Some versions of windows are very fussy about which drive is the boot drive.
C> Always install grub to the AROS drive, which should be the one you have set to boot from in the BIOS. So long as you have a correct chainloader entry for Windows you will then be able to boot any of the operating systems, and not have to worry if windows updates/repairs and replaces its bootblock.

Quote:

Tried to change hd0 from 0 to 4, but then Grub fails to find the hd. The sata hd has 3 partition:

1 100mb reserved
1 15gb primary partition for Windows
1 extended partition with 2 logical partitions

To go back with the old behaviour should I fix the mbr of the sata hd?

If it is showing "grub>" when you try to boot from the windows drive, then yes you have replaced the windows bootloader and will need to repair/reinstall it to get windows to boot again.

Posted on: 5/2 19:04

From Ireland
Group:
So is GRUB installed on the SATA or PATA disk? If SATA, I would have expected that selecting SATA manaually with the BIOS would be the same as an automatic boot, but there appears to be a difference in behaviour.

I'm not sure that the MBR needs to be restored to its previous state. Isn't the Windows boot block also present on the first block of the Windows partition? Is the reserved 100MB free space or a partition? If it's a partition, the Windows partition might be (hd0,2).

Posted on: 5/2 23:33

From Italy
Group:
@ Kalamatee
Thanks! With your menu entry everything works. I had to change only

"set root=(hd0,1)" to "set root=(hd1,1)".

Now I must remember to fix the sata mbr if I remove the pata hd.

@ ncafferkey
Grub is installed on both hd. The first time on the pata hd by InstallAROS, but the boot hd is the sata one, so I had to install grub on that too. I don't know how grub or mbr works. The reserved 100mb is a hidden partition. If I leave the ntfs3g-handler in its place, is shown on Wanderer.

@All
There are no option to choose which hd must boot... I can only disable pata controller or choose the hd to boot with the boot menu.

Who add the Windows menu entry to grub.cfg? Grub by itself or this is done by InstallAROS? Why it add the simplest menu entry instead of the more complex (and working) one?

Posted on: 5/3 8:09

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

Yanosh wrote:

Who add the Windows menu entry to grub.cfg? Grub by itself or this is done by InstallAROS? Why it add the simplest menu entry instead of the more complex (and working) one?

InstallAROS adds it. I suspect the problem could have been solved by just changing "hd0" to "hd1", without adding the more complex entry. As far as I can tell, InstallAROS isn't able to translate the unit numbers for drives as used within AROS to the drive numbers used by GRUB, so it just assumes drive 0 currently.

Posted on: 5/3 10:30

From Italy
Group:
With the simple menu entry all I've got is a black screen with a blinking cursor.
I don't know what the extra commands does, I only know that it works.

Posted on: 5/3 11:03

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]