Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Happy to be here...

From Chicago
Group:

I just wanted to introduce myself, I've already had the pleasure of "meeting" some of you. I am a retired Electronics Engineer/Computer Hardware Tech.

I have been involved in computers since the late 70s. Yes, the first "computer" I ever had was Atari's Pong console. But the first "real" computer I ever had was the Commodore VIC-20. It had 4k RAM, a 300bps modem, and a Datacassette. It was really fun and that's where I started to learn BASIC. 

Fast forward a few years... In the mid 80's, I got my first IBM clone, a 286XT 8mhz with 512k ram and a 10MB hard drive. I was really smokin' then! After a few years of playing with it, I wanted to do more. My father ran a BBS, and introduced me to the old pasttime of BBSing. In 1991, I opened "The Software Express BBS" and ran it for about 5 years until life got ahold of me and I had to shut down. During that time, I was working at Nokia Mobile Phones at their manufacturing plant in Ft. Worth, Texas. If you've ever owned a Nokia 5150 phone, I very well could have had my hands on it.

Then came the Internet. I was hooked. I have administered many webservers since then (and still do). I have always been infatuated with Operating Systems. I have a HUGE collection of them. I think I have every OS I ever touched, and some I still haven't, like Steve Jobs' NeXT Step as I have no hardware to run it and in a VM it just doesn't like it. However, I still run OS/2 in a VM (now it's called eComStation). So that brings me here.

I had erraticated WinBlows from all my computers, and only run it in a VM for those programs that require it. When I found out about Aros, I was taken aback. I just had to try it! And I love it! I bow down to the guys that decided to make Amiga's famous OS run on a PC. I love linux, but linux is definately something that a "regular" computer user would have issues with.

So here I am. I am learning as much as I can about Icaros and when I get super familiar with it, I hope to be able to contribute to the devopement.

Thank you for your time.

SuperChicken

Posted on: 2017/5/4 3:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Happy to be here...

From Madrid
Group:
Welcome and nice to meet you! developers is just what AROS needs the most, so you are more than welcome and probably you already know you will find good support here for all your doubts & questions.

Posted on: 2017/5/4 3:52

From Chicago
Group:
Quote:

x-vision wrote:
Welcome and nice to meet you! developers is just what AROS needs the most, so you are more than welcome and probably you already know you will find good support here for all your doubts & questions.

Thank you. Yes, I found the developers here quite eager to help and are very knowledgeable. This is another reason I like it. There are so many development teams that have their noses in the air and scoff at newbies, not so here from what I've seen.

Posted on: 2017/5/4 4:09

Group:
Hello and welcome! It is great to see a new (potential) developer, who is interested in AROS! Have fun!

Posted on: 2017/5/4 9:48

From Grosseto, Italy
Group:
Welcome Superchicken!
:D

Posted on: 2017/5/4 9:58

From Chicago
Group:
Quote:

aha wrote:
Hello and welcome! It is great to see a new (potential) developer, who is interested in AROS! Have fun!

Thanks... Fun is what it all about.

Posted on: 2017/5/4 11:13

From Chicago
Group:
Quote:

Allanon wrote:
Welcome Superchicken!
:D

Thanks!

Posted on: 2017/5/4 11:13

From California, United States
Group:
Well I second that...welcome!

I should introduce myself better as well with some more background information.

On a daily basis I work for a Civil Engineering company of seven people, two lead engineers and five support staff. As a design firm we use complex graphics software.

As far as hardware, my first computer in 1990 was an Amiga 500. I never saw a PC till 1995. Since that time I have been working with computers constantly as side jobs and as a hobby which includes interest in hardware and software. During that time I have used Amiga OS 3.1/3.5, Debian and Ubuntu Linux, every version of Windows since 95, every version of MS DOS since 5.0, and recently Mac OS X.

I'm new to programming for AROS but not to programming.
Over the last 8 years I have written many programs in C# which is related to C/C++. I've translated snippets from
C to C# but not vice versa. This will be a new experience!

I'm currently setting up my Design Environment but first I'll have to install AROS to hard disk! Maybe I'll have a few compiled C/C++ programs by this weekend? My special areas of interest and what I'd like to bring to Icaros are Graphics programs, Icon Management programs, File System Support (FatFS, CDFS, NTFS) and Disk Formatting. Stay tuned.

Posted on: 2017/5/4 13:08

From Chicago
Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
Well I second that...welcome!

I should introduce myself better as well with some more background information.

On a daily basis I work for a Civil Engineering company of seven people, two lead engineers and five support staff. As a design firm we use complex graphics software.

As far as hardware, my first computer in 1990 was an Amiga 500. I never saw a PC till 1995. Since that time I have been working with computers constantly as side jobs and as a hobby which includes interest in hardware and software. During that time I have used Amiga OS 3.1/3.5, Debian and Ubuntu Linux, every version of Windows since 95, every version of MS DOS since 5.0, and recently Mac OS X.

I'm new to programming for AROS but not to programming.
Over the last 8 years I have written many programs in C# which is related to C/C++. I've translated snippets from
C to C# but not vice versa. This will be a new experience!

I'm currently setting up my Design Environment but first I'll have to install AROS to hard disk! Maybe I'll have a few compiled C/C++ programs by this weekend? My special areas of interest and what I'd like to bring to Icaros are Graphics programs, Icon Management programs, File System Support (FatFS, CDFS, NTFS) and Disk Formatting. Stay tuned.

Hello and welcome miker.

Posted on: 2017/5/4 13:30

Group:
It's a pleasure to see you both, here. Kind regards.

Posted on: 2017/5/4 14:15

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]