Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Suggestion for the Install Icaros application

From Chicago
Group:
After my install crashed, I decided to reinstall and what a horror story that was. It took me 6 hours to figure out how to reinstall it. The reason being is that when booting the Icaros Install DVD (pendrive), Icaros looks at the hard drive, which it's supposed to, but for some reason it loads some of the settings from the hard drive, which since my hard drive wouldn't boot, neither would the install disc. Also in a VM it makes it not want to install with a window stating that I needed to boot from the install disc, or if not that, it would stop within a few files stating that the drive was in an invalid state. This even made making a pendrive extremely difficult.

Suggestion. The Install Icaros application should be fixed not to load any settings from the hard drive whatsoever, and if it does, some way of informing the user would be nice. That would help immensely.

Posted on: 5/4 11:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Suggestion for the Install Icaros application

From California, United States
Group:
The AROS Installer should also warn us with a Message saying "You have chosen AHCI Mode to install but AROS does not fully support this yet. The install may fail! Use SATA drive in IDE mode instead."

I tried installing twice to two different SATA hard disks. I thought the disks were bad. But now I know why it fails.

Also, the option "Wipe Disk" should read "Wipe Disk (Create AROS Partitions)" to be more specific. I would have used it the first time but I thought it could only "Clean" the disk!

Just a few suggestions to make the install process easier!

Posted on: 5/4 12:52

Group:
Quote:

Suggestion. The Install Icaros application should be fixed not to load any settings from the hard drive whatsoever, and if it does, some way of informing the user would be nice. That would help immensely.

afaik that is where the grub-option
bootdevice=<DEV>
is meant for.

Posted on: 5/4 12:53

Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
The AROS Installer should also warn us with a Message saying "You have chosen AHCI Mode to install but AROS does not fully support this yet. The install may fail! Use SATA drive in IDE mode instead."

See also this sticky thread.

Posted on: 5/4 12:59

From Chicago
Group:
Quote:

origami wrote:
Quote:

afaik that is where the grub-option
bootdevice=<DEV>
is meant for.

The point is, nobody knows this, nor is it mentioned in the manual in the Install Icaros section, or anywhere else that I know of. It needs to be easy for the layman to install if this OS is going anywhere. I am no layman and it took me 6 hours. Anyone else would have given up long before that. (or thrown their computer out the window)

Posted on: 5/4 13:08

Group:
I haven't read the entire User Manual but the part about AHCI and SATA need to be included, if not already there.

Posted on: 5/4 13:16

Group:
Quote:

Superchicken wrote:
The point is, nobody knows this, nor is it mentioned in the manual in the Install Icaros section, or anywhere else that I know of. It needs to be easy for the layman to install if this OS is going anywhere. I am no layman and it took me 6 hours. Anyone else would have given up long before that. (or thrown their computer out the window)

Point well taken.

Word of warning: be prepared to enter more frustration. I just tell to prevent you from throwing out an otherwise good working machine.

Some other caveats are:
- booting with ntfs driver and installed windows (although that should have been fixed). AROS tried to load from ntfs partition (and of course failed).
- moving files around partitions with old directory Opus (not magellan). No direct cause, just experience that it eventually _will_ break your filesystem. Just remove the button to prevent moving files around by accident.

Posted on: 5/4 13:25

Group:
Quote:

miker wrote:
I haven't read the entire User Manual but the part about AHCI and SATA need to be included, if not already there.

As (i would almost say) usual, these 'errors' surfaced after the release of icaros 2 series. afaik that is the reason it was not included in the manual.

But also, point taken. You could perhaps ask/persuade paolone to include it in the manual.

Posted on: 5/4 13:28

Group:
Successfully installed Icaros Desktop! Third try!

Still can't format an SD Card. The "Format Disk" dialog in Icaros barely works. I'll have to use my Disk Imaging program to format SD cards as SFS for the moment. However, the Aros Installer creates and formats SFS partitions on internal disks very quickly! So the functionality is there. Maybe I could look at the code for those two modules.

Oh well, going to attempt my first compiled program on my newly installed Icaros Desktop this weekend. Icon program?

Posted on: 5/4 21:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]