Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

xushengda0628, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Network issue for native installation

Group:
Hey guys,

after some struggling I was able to install Icaros Desktio Live! onto an USB stick. That works good so far, however I can't get the network config run.

The machine is a HP desktop, it used an Atheros AR8161 PCI-E LAN adapter. I'm afraid this card probably isn't well supported (in worse case even not supported at all).

The config itself looks pretty straight forward, I tried both auto config and manual config and also tried all available device drivers in Icaros, but I could not establish a successful network connection. All params are set according to Windows after getting them with ipconfig /all.

However any time when I try to save the config in prefs, it last a while and then I get an error message that the wireless driver (?) couldn't start. Also when I open a shell and stop and start it there, I don't an error message, but using ifconfig -a after always return an IP address 0.0.0.0, so something must be wrong.

Even if the LAN adapter isn't supported by an available device driver, is it maybe possible to get this stuff run?

Any hint would be great, and if you need more detailed information, please just re-post.

Many thanks for all effort!

Best regards
Mike

Posted on: 5/7 16:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Network issue for native installation

Group:
Hi,

Sadly, AROS does not have a driver for this chipset. Do you have any spare pci-e pci slots available for Realtek ethernet cards at all ? Possibly wireless usb ?

Jeff.

Posted on: 5/7 21:22

Group:
Hey Jeff,

many thanks for your answer . That's what I was afraid of...

The machine itself i think has (need to open the case). However an USB version is probably the easiest way, right?

Until then the only way would probably be to use the USB stick as a transfer medium.

In the meantime I try to configure Icaros that it's able to read a NTFS partition. The stick is used on a machine with Windows 10 already installed as the main OS. I saw already that a NTFS driver is available. No idea if it works well, but I will find out .

Does anyone know if the amount of LAN driver will be increased in the future?

Many thanks again and best regards
Mike

Posted on: 5/9 6:44

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Mike,
The ntfs driver does work well, but you need to create a mountlist for any drives you wish to use - have a look from here onwards.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 5/9 15:59

Group:
Hey Nigel,

many thanks for the hint . Will step through this thread and go from where. Unfortunately I have to wait until Friday...

As far as I know, NTFS partitions then are not write protected, right? Just to get sure...

Best regards
Mike

Posted on: 5/10 15:45

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Mike,
NTFS are indeed read/write; I use an old harddrive from a Windows laptop formatted as NTFS as an external drive to transfer files to and from my AROS netbook and the machines at work.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 5/11 9:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.