Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

xushengda0628, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: current state of aros 68k..

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Had a bit of a disappointing evening yesterday. Following reports of some bug fixes, and as it's coming up to the Stratford computer fair again soon, I thought I'd give AROS 68k another go on my Amigas (actually download from 6.6.17 which was not booting on Janus but I thought had been noted as working on actual hardware).

Now, I should say that both machines I have are a bit unusual. The A1200 has a Blizzard '060/PPC accelerator and 64 MB ram along with a 4-way IDE splitter off which is a CF card plus optical CDRW and OS 3.1 rom. The A500 has a B5000 accelerator ('020 with 4 MB fast ram) along with the fat Agnes hack to give 1 MB chip ram, another I MB slow ram in the trapdoor and OS2 rom. It also has a 'dodgy' A570 CD drive off the side expansion slot ('dodgy' because some years ago it stopped being able to boot the mahcine from a CD).

The A1200 has never booted AROS 68k and there was the same result last night. I booted from the AROS boot floppy but after the reset the machine just died - no boot activity and a blank screen with a power cycle requrired to bring the machine back (to a normal AmigaOS boot). To be honest, that was no great suprise. More disappointing was the A500, which has booted AROS 68k in the past (but was too slow to be useable). It ran the boot disk fine, but then immediately on reboot threw up an 'illegal instruction' error.* If it would be useful to take a piccy of the error (it was consistent on evey reboot I tried) I could do that, or the devs may think this hardware is too weird to be viable for AROS.

Cheers,
Nigel.

* I just thought - I didn't try booting with no startup-sequence. I'll have to give that a go.

Posted on: 6/14 10:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Group:
Last year at the July SCCAN meeting, I had a chance to use an A1200. I was able to load one of the Aros 68K Nightly build and tinker around with it.

Then at CommVEx, I tested it on an souped-up A2000 (1MB chip ram 2MB fast ram 2 floppys and 2GB scsi drive). Also seemed to work as well. We did not try the installation as there were other things on it and I was not certain how everything would work.

Unfortunately I do not have permanent access to those computers.

It feels like Aros 68K is under appreciated and there is very little maintenance for it. Even the link I had is now broken.

http://aros.sourceforge.net/de/download2.php

Admittedly I have not been keeping up with it since last year, as I am spending a little bit more time with Icaros on the PC.

But I do wish you good luck and good effort and keep us posted.

Posted on: 6/14 13:47

Group:
Quote:

Nonefornow wrote:
Even the link I had is now broken.

http://aros.sourceforge.net/de/download2.php

That url isn't valid anymore for quite some time now.

Try http://aros.org/de/nightly1.php (for ABIv1) and http://aros.org/de/nightly.php (for ABIv0).

Main download page can be found here

afaik the change was made to not advocate abiv0 (anymore) but rather put focus on v1 abi.

Posted on: 6/14 13:55

Group:
i have never tried to boot an amiga with an aros floppy or at least i cannot remember it, so i cannot comment on that. but decompressing aros to drive with a bootable partition, be it a cf card, and adding arospootstrap followed by kickstart image file should produce a bootable environment. i have already posted dozens of instructions, how to do that all over the forums. if a particular configuration doesnt work, its not because developers do not care but rather that none provided usable bug report. better to check and ask such questions beforehand than after.

Posted on: 6/14 15:51

Group:
@ntromans

Quote:

Had a bit of a disappointing evening yesterday. Following reports of some bug fixes, and as it's coming up to the Stratford computer fair again soon, I thought I'd give AROS 68k another go on my Amigas (actually download from 6.6.17 which was not booting on Janus but I thought had been noted as working on actual hardware).

I've originally sent here a message about AROS M68K and Janus-UAE, but since I had opened a whole topic recently, I moved my last post there:

http://aros-exec.org/modules/newbb/vi ... id=104989#forumpost104989

Obviously, I renew here my asking for help... :(

Posted on: 6/15 0:47

Group:
as i wrote in the other thread i suspect that is a different issue and not necessarily related to aros 68k compile. you write without jit everything is wirking, then its as it is supposed to be. on real hardware there is no jit. if it really doesnt boot serial debug would have to be necessary.

i only have my a1200 with mi just now. but aros has always booted on it, no matter whar accelerator i used.

Posted on: 6/15 1:15

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Quote:

wawa wrote:
i have never tried to boot an amiga with an aros floppy or at least i cannot remember it, so i cannot comment on that. but decompressing aros to drive with a bootable partition, be it a cf card, and adding arospootstrap followed by kickstart image file should produce a bootable environment. i have already posted dozens of instructions, how to do that all over the forums. if a particular configuration doesnt work, its not because developers do not care but rather that none provided usable bug report. better to check and ask such questions beforehand than after.

Yes, the boot disk option is to allow the live cd to be tried even if the Amiga can't boot from cd (which is the case for both of mine).

In terms of installing, it's not an option for the A500 as it has no hard drive, just a floppy and A570 cd. As mentioned, the A1200 has a CF card but it's fully populated with partitions already, and after the scare of thinking it was dead last year, and the subsequent efforts to rejuvinate it, I now have it running really nicely and don't feel like messing that up. Having said that, I do have an old LS120 lying around; I could try setting that up as a boot disk - depends if it can be mounted via a pata to usb convertor by my desktop.

I'm certainly not going to bother any of the devs over this hardware as both are rare cases - I only offered to post up the error message in case it was felt it would be useful. I really was just curious as to how well AROS 68k ran these days and to see if it might be possible to demonstrate it at the show; I'm quite happy to keep AmigaOS for my Amigas and AROS for my laptop, netbook, desktop, other desktop, media server...

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 6/15 9:42

Group:
Any aros-m68k problem: serial log (115200 8N1) must be included. (at least I won't do any debugging without serial log).

Posted on: 6/15 12:23

Group:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
the A1200 has a CF card but it's fully populated with partitions already, and after the scare of thinking it was dead last year, and the subsequent efforts to rejuvinate it, I now have it running really nicely and don't feel like messing that up.

thats your choice. im swapping cf cards testing aros on different amigas i have all the time with no problem. same as i was swapping harddisks before. any serious loss of data i ever had with amiga can be attributed to faulty sfs fislesystem ages ago. nothing to do with aros. my guess is pfs3 is the safest and most convenient option. i dont even remember how i formatted these partitions i am using. they simply work.

Quote:

I'm certainly not going to bother any of the devs over this hardware as both are rare cases

if you dont nother the developers some things wont ever get fixed. and people will ever think aros is faulty and no option. while you are happy with the genuine os on amiga and aros on advanced pc hardware, it might be a worthy contribution o help debug things and make it more popular among the 68k crowd. that said you have heard toni, who would actually be the one to be bothered. if you can catch sserial log on failing boot and post it here, it might help, if not, lets forget it.

Posted on: 6/15 12:40

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
OK - I'll see if can get serial logs from the machines.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 6/16 9:07

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.