Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

Re: current state of aros 68k..

Group:
Quote:

amiga wrote:
It is a pity that the development has stoppedof AFA OS, i hope someone will resume it, AFA OS Is a fairly stable system and allows for incredible retrocompatibility.

parts of afa os, in particular the loader is written in amiblitz. this is a nice, but obscure dialect of a an obsure dielect of a ridiculed language, which is basic. only few people know how to program it and only few apps have been written with it. most prominently hd-rec. besides it isnt portable.

bernd walked away long ago. he ocassionally drops in a post here and there, but it doesnt seem he is concerned with amiga anymore. and afa os is obsoleted by aros68k. its better to put the work towards compatibility and stability of it rather than try to update and fix an old hybrid stop gap solution.

Posted on: 5/16 2:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
You've ever tried installing AROS 68k (AROS Vision) on WinUAE? try and then let me know. Large size archive is not easy to handle even on Windows (try to unpack and then delete it from the Windows desktop), this is a very difficult setup and configuration for an average user who wants to test, too many assignments and much programming material that an average user does not need.

Posted on: 5/16 2:55

Group:
@amiga

What you want is a distribution for AROS68k. Until now such distribution does not exist. This situation is comparable to a pure AOS3 installation, that is no problem, but lacks many user friendly extensions and programs.

Posted on: 5/16 3:28

Group:
Btw ArosVision is also a "hybrid" of Aros68k and AOS3! And I had no problem to install it last time I tried...

Posted on: 5/16 3:32

From Nürnberg, Deutschland
Group:
sorry if you do not like Aros Vision and its concepts. I like it somehow, besides I have put lots of work in it, f.e. integrating many compilers and dev environments and preconfigure them. You are free to do a light weight distribution exchanging f.e. icon sets. It is no magic to do...

Posted on: 5/16 3:34

Group:
if somebody wants something lightweight, simply download the newest nightly and exchange icons including the def icons. Not much work. Wawa also mentioned that you can delete most of the fonts so you really get something basic that is working.

Posted on: 5/16 3:37

From Brindisi (Italy)
Group:
@OlafS3
Ciao, I did not want to offend your work, i respect a lot of the work you do. I install all of your releases, what I wanted to say, that installation frightens those who want to approach and that would also serve something light is intuitive, sorry if I offended you

Posted on: 5/16 3:43

Group:
I am not offended but I only say I will not drastically change Aros Vision because it does what I want. My concept was to get as much integrated as possible so people have not to search the web to find it and all is preconfigured. I know that some people prefer something lightweight and also some dislike Magellan even though not really being able to explain why and obviously do not know Magellan at all. So I have personally done my decisions.

As I wrote a basic version is the nightly, then exchange some of the icons (f.e. the def icons). Then you already have a very basic distribution.

only one example...

The dev tools alone are several hundreds MB on harddrive. You could leave them out of course but for me they are a important part.

Posted on: 5/16 4:11

Group:
Hi, where to download Aros Vision? (PAL if possible)
I'm trying from http://download.aros-platform.de/Aros_Vision_PAL.zip but in my browser does not work.

Thanks,
ross

Posted on: 5/16 4:22

Group:
I have deleted it for some time already... it was planned as a version for real hardware with lower requirements but at that time aros did not work on real amiga hardware so it made no sense

Posted on: 5/16 4:35

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.