Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users





Max filesize

Joined:
2004/4/11 11:57
From Italy
Group:
Member
Posts: 686
Offline
How big a file can be on SFS? I ask this because some weeks ago I tried to write an ISO of IcAROS 2.2 with Fryingpan and It didn't work. The same ISo written with Windows worked fine. In the same way, I tried to mount the iso with DiskImageGui and some file were copied as empty files. Maybe this happened with files beyond the max file size allowed by SFS. DirectoryOpus 4 show the filesize of these files with a negative and totally wrong number. Should this mean the filesize is too big for SFS? BTW, can someone fix (if easily feasible) DirectoryOpus 4 to show the right filesize?

Posted on: 6/28 13:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2007/3/13 15:52
From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Member
Posts: 909
Offline
I think it's 2GB minus one byte.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 6/28 14:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2009/3/15 4:41
Group:
Member
Posts: 607
Offline
Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
How big a file can be on SFS?


Max. file size 4 GB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_File_System

Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
DirectoryOpus 4 show the filesize of these files with a negative and totally wrong number.


The filesystems on the Amigaoids are more or less restricted to the possibilities of a 32Bit computer.

I would like to have a file system and all the tools (for example packers) handling files with much more than 4GB of size.

But even if SFS could handle more than 4GB filesize, you will run into problems with tools, that where developed with a 2GB filesize maximum in mind.


Posted on: 6/28 14:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2004/3/29 9:54
From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Member
Posts: 2023
Offline
Quote:

GreenNight wrote:
Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
How big a file can be on SFS?


Max. file size 4 GB
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_File_System

Quote:

Yanosh wrote:
DirectoryOpus 4 show the filesize of these files with a negative and totally wrong number.


The filesystems on the Amigaoids are more or less restricted to the possibilities of a 32Bit computer.


They are only restricted by -:

A> software being written before the 64bit DOS extensions,
B> software not using those extensions since there is no actual "API" call replacements, and they require direct communication to the filesystem.

None the less, it is the filesystem which determines the max size, and >4GB is possible so long as you correctly speak to the filesystem.

Quote:

I would like to have a file system and all the tools (for example packers) handling files with much more than 4GB of size.

But even if SFS could handle more than 4GB filesize, you will run into problems with tools, that where developed with a 2GB filesize maximum in mind.



FWIW, I proposed providing a stub "dos64" link library or shared library on AROS that implements the 64bit versions of the normal DOS functions, or wraps the 32bit normal code to 64bit structures - and use that in all AROS binaries so they work with larger files/file systems. I still think this is something that needs pursued as part of ABI v1 before it is considered finalised.

Posted on: 6/28 18:37
_________________
Click to see original Image in a new window
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2004/4/11 11:57
From Italy
Group:
Member
Posts: 686
Offline
Can SFS handle IcAROS's iso file without messing up the filesystem? Can DirectoryOpus 4 handle that iso file even if it is shown with a negative and totally wrong filesize? And can Fryingpan burn it without errors? Do they need to be updated to use 64 bit operation? I' d like to be able to manage IcAROS's iso under AROS, without the need to use Windows.

Posted on: 6/29 3:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2011/5/10 23:05
Group:
Member
Posts: 76
Offline
PFS3 "experimental" (Modifications by me and original PFS3 author) supports >4G files (and larger partition sizes) but it isn't production ready.

One problem is that it is not easy to test >4G files without special test programs because OS does not directly support it, at least not very well.

(If AROS 64-bit filesystem handling test cases is needed)

Posted on: 6/29 5:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2007/8/21 11:21
Group:
Member
Posts: 148
Offline
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
[quote]
They are only restricted by -:

A> software being written before the 64bit DOS extensions,
B> software not using those extensions since there is no actual "API" call replacements, and they require direct communication to the filesystem.


Just some thoughts...

How much software would actually break in ABIv1 when all DOS functions/ API would be changed to 64bit? Could there a more ore less automated way to adapt all software before/during recompilation?

Or is that exactly what you propose with:

Quote:
FWIW, I proposed providing a stub "dos64" link library or shared library on AROS that implements the 64bit versions of the normal DOS functions, or wraps the 32bit normal code to 64bit structures - and use that in all AROS binaries so they work with larger files/file systems. I still think this is something that needs pursued as part of ABI v1 before it is considered finalised.


I think that is really something AROS needs!

Posted on: 6/30 18:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2004/4/11 11:57
From Italy
Group:
Member
Posts: 686
Offline
I need to understand what I can do on AROS and what I can't do.

Can I unpack IcAROS dvd iso and burn it with Fryingpan without errors?

Can I mount the iso file with DiskImageGUI?

Can DirectoryOpus 4 handle that iso file even if it is shown with a negative and totally wrong filesize?

And what about fixing DirectoryOpus 4 to show the right filesize? Is that too complex to fix or is a reasonable easy task? And a more important question... is there someone that want to do this task? Maybe an alert can be added to DirectoryOpus 4 to show a message like "This file is too big to be managed by this program".

Posted on: 7/4 12:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2012/5/29 7:30
Group:
Member
Posts: 586
Offline
Regardless of the technical limitations, theoretical possibilities, etc. every single file Ive ever tried over 2GB has failed, be it video files, disc images, whatever.

For the moment Id say it fair to consider 2GB the filesize limit.

Posted on: 7/5 0:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer


Re: Max filesize

Joined:
2011/5/10 23:05
Group:
Member
Posts: 76
Offline
File access requires special care when reading >2G (or >4G, can depend on filesystem) files with 32-bit file functions: Seek()'s beyond 2G may not be possible, only linear reading.

But yes, 64-bit "wrapper" would be nice.

Posted on: 7/5 10:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer






You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]


Search
Top Posters
1 paolone
paolone
4338
2 magorium
magorium
4095
3 phoenixkonsole
phoenixkonsole
3887
4 nikolaos
nikolaos
3677
5 deadwood
deadwood
2923
6 ncafferkey
ncafferkey
2612
7 mazze
mazze
2205
8 clusteruk
clusteruk
2066
9 Kalamatee
Kalamatee
2023
10 damocles
damocles
1789
© 2004-2017 AROS Exec