Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: State of AROS Drivers

Group:
ATA works fine but SATA is totally different.

Steve

Posted on: 9/19 4:02

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Madrid
Group:
Sorry, it was a typing error which I didn't realise until you answered. i meant Sata. I though we have a SATA driver already, what is it missing?

Posted on: 9/19 9:58

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi Steve,

The problem is the USB on these machine does not work at all; its not for USB 3 devices, it's just for USB full stop.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 9/19 10:00

From Sunny Finland
Group:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
Hi Steve,

The problem is the USB on these machine does not work at all; its not for USB 3 devices, it's just for USB full stop.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Stop using motherboards with VIA-chipset. Or it might be that the motherboard (BIOS) doesn't list the USB PCI device in correct order as stated on USB specifications. Those are really ancient motherboards.

Posted on: 9/19 10:20

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Quote:

DizzyOfCRN wrote:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
Hi Steve,

Cheers,
Nigel.

Stop using motherboards with VIA-chipset. Or it might be that the motherboard (BIOS) doesn't list the USB PCI device in correct order as stated on USB specifications. Those are really ancient motherboards.

These are not VIA - one is Gigabyte, the other an Acer laptop, both less than a year old and bought new. Basically AROS has no driver for modern xhci controllers.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 9/20 10:11

From Sunny Finland
Group:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
Quote:

DizzyOfCRN wrote:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
Hi Steve,

Cheers,
Nigel.

These are not VIA - one is Gigabyte, the other an Acer laptop, both less than a year old and bought new. Basically AROS has no driver for modern xhci controllers.

Cheers,
Nigel.

USB1.1 and USB2.0 should work so I don't understand the statement that "its not for USB 3 devices, it's just for USB full stop."

USB3 devices should work with USB2 host controllers (slower ofcourse)

"Basically AROS has no driver for modern xhci controllers.
" I know that and that is the reason why I started the work for it years ago. It was obvious back then that older USB host controllers will become obsolete.

The state of the AROS XHCI driver as far is that AROS is able to enumerate the XHCI controllers, Trident will list them and Poseidon will know that they are SuperSpeed and will bind hubss.class to them (hubss.class is just a copy paste from hub.class at this moment)

XHCI driver knows its port count and is able to detect device insertion and soon after crash. Ring buffers need some love (implement correctly) Memory allocations are bad in XHCI driver (lots of different alignment needs) I could have just allocated a lot more memory than needed and align the start of allocated memory but that would be wastefull.

Also the XHCI driver higher level code is coded based on the USB2 drivers. Those are difficult to understand because of the massive switch statement that they house. So as to understand the driver mechanics better I implemented a hosted version of usb driver. It is much easier to understand as it is abstracted and has no huge switch statement.

I no longer have any dedicated native AROS machine but if I had I would take the higher level code as a reference from VUSBHC driver and implement that in XHCI driver.

Posted on: 9/20 21:28

Edited by DizzyOfCRN on 2017/9/20 21:54:34

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Quote:

DizzyOfCRN wrote:

USB1.1 and USB2.0 should work so I don't understand the statement that "its not for USB 3 devices, it's just for USB full stop."

USB3 devices should work with USB2 host controllers (slower ofcourse)

"Basically AROS has no driver for modern xhci controllers.
" I know that and that is the reason why I started the work for it years ago. It was obvious back then that older USB host controllers will become obsolete.

The state of the AROS XHCI driver as far is that AROS is able to enumerate the XHCI controllers, Trident will list them and Poseidon will know that they are SuperSpeed and will bind hubss.class to them (hubss.class is just a copy paste from hub.class at this moment)

XHCI driver knows its port count and is able to detect device insertion and soon after crash. Ring buffers need some love (implement correctly) Memory allocations are bad in XHCI driver (lots of different alignment needs) I could have just allocated a lot more memory than needed and align the start of allocated memory but that would be wastefull.

Also the XHCI driver higher level code is coded based on the USB2 drivers. Those are difficult to understand because of the massive switch statement that they house. So as to understand the driver mechanics better I implemented a hosted version of usb driver. It is much easier to understand as it is abstracted and has no huge switch statement.

I no longer have any dedicated native AROS machine but if I had I would take the higher level code as a reference from VUSBHC driver and implement that in XHCI driver.

On the Gigabyte board nothing works - not USB 1, 2 or 3. Neil has the same board and confirms AROS simply cannot use the onboard USB at all. On the Acer, to be fair, a memory stick can be opened - but when accessing its contents the machine quickly crashes so that's not too useable either.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 9/21 11:16

Group:
DizzyOfCRN

So if you had an Aros machine you would have time to work on some areas?

If so please PM me.

Steve

Posted on: 9/22 2:37

From Sunny Finland
Group:
Quote:

clusteruk wrote:
DizzyOfCRN

So if you had an Aros machine you would have time to work on some areas?

If so please PM me.

Steve

What I lack is time and at the moment I have so much other things to do. I really don't have any spare time left. Wife and three kids keeps me quite busy.

I've also switched to a newer Linux distro and all of my AROS tools and scripts are on the shelf with the hard drive.

Native driver development is difficult and time consuming. I think I used to burn CD's every time I tested the thing...? Can't really remember. I think now I could use hosted AROS to write new driver on a bootable USB stick with AROS installed on it.

Posted on: 9/22 6:39

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

ntromans wrote:
On the Gigabyte board nothing works - not USB 1, 2 or 3. Neil has the same board and confirms AROS simply cannot use the onboard USB at all. On the Acer, to be fair, a memory stick can be opened - but when accessing its contents the machine quickly crashes so that's not too useable either.

Yes, the two similar Gigabyte boards that Nigel and I have are essentially XHCI-only. They do have EHCI controllers onboard (at least mine does) but the BIOS doesn't make them available in any configuration. I've filed a bug report with Gigabyte about this and they say they may fix it in a future BIOS version, but I'm not holding my breath!

Posted on: 9/25 11:05

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.