Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Waiting for bootable media

From Czech Republic
Group:
Hi,
I tried install many versions A.R.O.S. on my zenbook, but best result ended with this message, see subject. Can somebody adviced me?
Once upon a time I was same problem but I do not remember about solution, Many thanks beforehand.

Posted on: 9/30 1:38
UmiDigi Crystal Android 7
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Waiting for bootable media

Group:
Is your BIOS able to use legacy/IDE mode ?

If so, then write down your original BIOS-settings (so that you are able to revert back), change into IDE legacy mode and try again. Try that with a cold-start.

In case it is related to your cd-rom/dvd-rom drive spinning down directly after boot then i'm afraid the only way to solve that is by booting AROS from USB pendrive.

Posted on: 9/30 5:57

From Czech Republic
Group:
You do not understand. BIOS is OK, boot from dvd drive pass through GRUB, and ended with this message "Waiting for bootable media".
In VMWare player everything is OK.

Posted on: 10/9 13:16

Group:
Have you tried GRUB advanced options, passing parameters to the kernel line?

Posted on: 10/9 14:06

From Czech Republic
Group:
What You mean advanced grub options?
In Grub menu is list for various screen resolution. these I tried with different results. Boot with native gfx = black screen, 1024x768 true color with message in subject, and similar results with other options.

Posted on: 10/10 1:27

From Sunny Finland
Group:
AROS uses the grub2 bootloader, it will load the kernel and what else but when the computer leaves the grub environment then everything has to be handled by AROS code.

From one lspci listing from the net I see that the zenbook has SATA-controller. SATA driver may or may not work perfectly on AROS.

If there is an option on BIOS to use legacy ide mode on the sata controller then try that.

It doesn't mean much if AROS is able to load it's modules from CD/DVD rom these are handed to AROS by the boot loader (grub2)

If the please insert bootable disk appears then it means AROS wasn't able to find any device it can boot from.

Note for the lspci listing: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1046070-start-0.html

Posted on: 10/10 4:10

From Sunny Finland
Group:
Quote:

origami wrote:
Is your BIOS able to use legacy/IDE mode ?

If so, then write down your original BIOS-settings (so that you are able to revert back), change into IDE legacy mode and try again. Try that with a cold-start.

In case it is related to your cd-rom/dvd-rom drive spinning down directly after boot then i'm afraid the only way to solve that is by booting AROS from USB pendrive.

I had an issue with the SATA drive going to "sleep" (drive could not spin fast enough before AROS driver timeouts ran to zero) I bumped one timeout up a little bit and don't remember who bumped up some other timeout value. (Schulz?) These were done on the ABIV1, I don't know if these values are back ported. For me it did a huge difference.

It might be that AROS fails on certain SATA drives/controllers just because the timeouts are a bit too low. There's no penalty for waiting just a little bit longer. If it fails then it fails, but if it works with relaxed timeout then at least it's some what usable.

Posted on: 10/10 4:26

Group:
Quote:
Dedy wrote:
BIOS is OK, boot from dvd drive pass through GRUB, and ended with this message "Waiting for bootable media".

Exactly.

So, as DizzyOfCRN also wrote, try to set your sata controller to IDE/legacy mode in case that is possible.

It has nothing to do with your BIOS being ok or not, but has everything to do with how AROS is not able to use your SATA controller correctly (and that is with lack of better words from my hand).

Doing this (setting sata BIOS legacy/IDE mode) is the fastest and easiest way to determine whether or not your SATA controller is the culprit for AROS.

Quote:

In VMWare player everything is OK.

comparing apples with oranges leads to undesired impressions and expectations

AROS was extensively tested with vmware player (amongst other virtualization software) but that has no resemblance with your specific (real) hardware.

Posted on: 10/10 21:06

Group:
Quote:
DizzyOfCRN wrote:
... I bumped one timeout up a little bit and don't remember who bumped up some other timeout value. (Schulz?) These were done on the ABIV1, I don't know if these values are back ported. For me it did a huge difference.

tbh, i don't know for sure either (i lost track).

Quote:

It might be that AROS fails on certain SATA drives/controllers just because the timeouts are a bit too low. There's no penalty for waiting just a little bit longer. If it fails then it fails, but if it works with relaxed timeout then at least it's some what usable.

Yes, thank you as i did not consider that.

That is of course another option, although that is perhaps not a feasible (practical) solution for a generic end-user.

That is, there isn't a timeout-option somewhere that i am unaware of ? (without modifying sources, that is)

Posted on: 10/10 21:14

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
The problem is not that the timeout values are too short, it is that AROS does not wake the devices when they are put in a low power state.

Sure, making the timeouts larger might alleviate the issue a little, however at some point the devices will still get powered down unless you are using them constantly - And will not be usable again until the machine is reset (note: just restarting AROS will not bring them back to life).

I also have not encountered a situation where this occurs until you have atleast reached the desktop environment (e.g. Wanderer) - So I would suspect something else is amiss, perhaps the SATA controller is not AHCI compliant.

You would be best to boot AROS to the early startup menu (add bootmenu to the boot command line) and check if the devices are listed at all.

Edit:

There are also issues with some CD/DVD Writers where the device is not exposed as the type AROS expects (they act more like hard drives), and so it does not try the correct filesystems on them. This does show the symptoms you experience, since after loading the kernel AROS no longer then sees the media as bootable.

Posted on: 10/11 5:53

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]