Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Asus EEEBox 202

From Sweden
Group:
So, I found this one hidden in the garage (totally forgot about it) and took some time to put Icaros on it. It went smooth and I've played around with it for awhile.
However, there's no sound and the wireless isn't working.
(according to an old BSD thread I found it seem to be "Ralink RT2860 wifi chipset".. which I never heard of).

Did anyone try Aros on the eeebox? Is there something I could spend some time fixing perhaps or should I rush over to ebay and buy me something more AROS-friendly? I really need a full working Aros machine!

Regards

Posted on: 10/11 10:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Asus EEEBox 202

Group:
/me raises hand

Sound should be working. Did you configure your sound settings ? See also Icaros user manual where a detailed description is written on configuring your audio device. (edit: chapter 3.3 - Enabling sound)

The wifi can indeed be problematic (the wired connection works though). The B202 was produced/sold with different wifi chipsets (if i remember correctly 3 different ones, and afaik none of them to work with AROS).

If you really desire wireless, then you might opt for a USB wifi dongle. Nikolaos has one listed that works with AROS (seems difficult to come by these days though, note the chipset as it must match exactly). More info on hw support page (but do double-check on searching for type/chipset onthe forums to make sure if there are any issues, or not).

Other than that it is a perfect little machine for use with AROS (a bit underpowered perhaps, in comparison to todays standards).

Posted on: 10/11 12:43

Edited by origami on 2017/10/11 15:20:38

From Sweden
Group:
Hi and thanks for answering. No I actually didn't mess around that much with the sound, I'm mostly trying to find where all the stuff is hidden :)
I noticed it used AHI/hdaudio driver though, I'll check the manual again and see if I can fix it.
Wireless is a pain as always, I remember the old Linux days, always a challenge. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of the dongles, it's a real nice little AROS machine as you say. If not, I guess I'll just have to try to build my own, I really don't want to put cables through the walls in this house.

Posted on: 10/11 21:25

From Sweden
Group:
I put a SSD disk in one of those also https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-thin- ... onitor-none-series/specs/
Guess that wifi won't work on that one either, better wait for my atheros cards and hope they will make my AROS-boxes connected

Posted on: 10/12 7:49

Group:
Quote:

elwis wrote:
I put a SSD disk in one of those also https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-thin- ... onitor-none-series/specs/

You have nice dinky-toys to play with

Quote:

Guess that wifi won't work on that one either, better wait for my atheros cards and hope they will make my AROS-boxes connected

Pardon my ignorance, as i was unable to determine (on board ?) wifi chipset ?

just as a side note: have you considered running AROS hosted (linux would be preferred). That is usually a good setup to work with when developing. I don't know about the hp, but at least the eee allows to boot from sd and usb (for native testing).

Perhaps also something else to consider: an additional wired/wifi router. Just hook up your small machines wired and let the wifi take you to those place you want cable-less. Perhaps not ideal, but allows you to toy around while waiting for (the perfect) wifi card/dongle.

Posted on: 10/12 10:52

From Sweden
Group:
About the HP Thinclient, no i didn't really see any info about the wifi chipset either, could it be intel? Then I'll just wait for my ebay delivery and hopefully those atheros mini-PCI cards will work just fine :)

About development, yes that's what I'm struggling with right now, I have a couple Debian laptops and downloaded the nightly build according to http://amifreak.ftp.sh/post/setting-up-environment-to-start
However, so far I haven't figured out how to build AROS (from what I understand I can run it like a process and then test my silly little Zune apps at once?).
I did find different instructions around the web, some says I could simply git clone a proper AROS mirror to a dirrectory of my choice and then simply run the good ol configure/make commands and I'll take off? Are thee any good uptodate "getting started" guides so I will have a chance to dust the rust of my C skills and write some nice code? (while I'm waiting for my wifi cards..)

Posted on: 10/12 11:00

From Sweden
Group:
And yeah, a wifi/wired router down in the basement would do the trick, then I wont have to suffer the pain of ebay delivery (at least 20 days). It would really save my weekend and I could play with AROS instead of coding those boring REST services :)

Posted on: 10/12 11:08

Group:
Quote:

About development, yes that's what I'm struggling with right now, I have a couple Debian laptops and downloaded the nightly build according to http://amifreak.ftp.sh/post/setting-up-environment-to-start

Oh, i'm lame and download the compiled version from AROS.org

Quote:

However, so far I haven't figured out how to build AROS (from what I understand I can run it like a process and then test my silly little Zune apps at once?).

With regards to the latter, yes it is a single process that runs all of AROS as operating system. For linux there are some additional setting required to f.e. let networking and audio working correctly, see also here.

Quote:

I did find different instructions around the web, some says I could simply git clone a proper AROS mirror to a dirrectory of my choice and then simply run the good ol configure/make commands and I'll take off?

There is a script inside the source named gimmearos, that should be able to setup a working environment for you.

Minimalistic set of installed libs/tools are required though, see here.

Quote:

Are thee any good uptodate "getting started" guides so I will have a chance to dust the rust of my C skills and write some nice code? (while I'm waiting for my wifi cards..)

Well, building aros is the most difficult part. AROS itself comes with additional development tools (aros nightly download page) which allows you to compile natively under AROS (not exactly ideal when running hosted, but it saves you to bother with (cross-)compiling).

And yes, you can directly create a zune-app, compile it and run under AROS.

More on the AROS buildsystem here, Zune development here. Don't forget to check out the aros archives as well.

Hopefully that is enough to keep you going for a day

If not, then please feel free to complain

Posted on: 10/12 11:22

From Sweden
Group:
Well thank you for that most valuable information!
Since I definitely will need to get familiar with C and the API before I even think of touching the AROS source I better go for the nightly, compiled build then. The goal for the weekend will be to figure out how to run that one and get a Zune "Hello world" going I guess.
Maybe I should just forget about tomorrows revenue and skip the REST services for some good ol hacking!?
(AROS might just drive my company into bankruptcy ;)

Posted on: 10/12 12:01

Group:
You're welcome.

Be sure to checkout the example test sources inside the debug/test directory (or test/debug, i always forget).

Ofc, AROS itself comes with sources so also works as a good example (just take a simple cli command and try to tinker/compile it).

With regards to your revenue. Without it you would have no resources to keep on toying with AROS, so that poses a practical problem. As a compromise you could perhaps try to setup a rest service on AROS ?

Now for some boring stuff: note that there are two different ABI's available on both on the download site and the AROS sources. V0 is what current flagship distribution Icaros Desktop uses (which btw can also be installed as hosted on your linux machine as long as it is i386 compatible). So if that is where you code should be running in the end, choose v0 ABI.

V1 abi is (by lack of better words) the latest AROS, and receives all current fixes, improvements etc and is 68k compatible ABI. So if you want top notch, then use that.

In principle your sources can be compiled for both without (much, if any) changes unless your code relies on specific features that are only present on ABI-V1 (or vise-verse).

In case you run into issues then please feel free to ask for help, but please also note that most errors have passed these forums.

In case you're absolutely new to AROS then you might perhaps have many question. The Icaros Desktop manual tries to answer most basic ones, but in case that doesn't help then just ask.

fwiw: i'm an application developer not an AROS system developer (not even using c) so if things become to technical on gnu level, i'm usually not of much help. Just a heads up

Posted on: 10/12 12:49

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.