Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Asus EEEBox 202

From Sweden
Group:
Hah, I noticed python was included, so I guess I could write some REST services on AROS and hope the customer is satisfied ;)

Great links, I'll see if I can get some simple Hello world running, I should aim for Zune right?

Applications are usually easier then System, too close to the hardware ;). What are you working on, and not using C?

Posted on: 10/12 22:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Sweden
Group:
Bad day today, it seem impossible to get any sound from the Eeebox, I've enabled the hdaudio driver for all units but it's still silent and evil. And the Debian laptop with AROS binary and netbeans setup for some fun developing is going black now and then, tried the Fedora laptop but there were missing packages in that repository.
So, tomorrow I'll try with AROS on the HP Link and will reinstall Fedora with Debian.. and perhaps buy a wifi/wired extender so I can get some network for my little AROS machines. Never give up! :)

Posted on: 10/13 9:44

Edited by elwis on 2017/10/13 12:06:32

Group:
Quote:
elwis wrote:
... I should aim for Zune right?

Start with plain c, then using Amiga/AROS API and finally Zune.

Each step is able to indicate issues with your setup (correct paths and the like).

Quote:

Applications are usually easier then System, too close to the hardware ;).

That depends completely on what your application is trying to implement, but yes basically that is correct.

Quote:

What are you working on, and not using C?

Currently (with the mrs.) in the process of language checking a tutorial about graphics/timing (original tutorial written by Kai Scherrer in German for c).

More on Pascal here on ALB42's website.

The apps i write are mostly for own usage, but i have released some smallish tools such as wbXcli (Paolone writes about it in the user manual).

Other then that i'v got some ports on my hd that needs some more love.

Unfortunately i do not have much free time to spend these days

Posted on: 10/13 13:17

Group:
Quote:
elwis wrote:
Bad day today, it seem impossible to get any sound from the Eeebox, I've enabled the hdaudio driver for all units but it's still silent and evil.

Ok, that is weird. Are you sure you've checked the audio out jack on your eee ? Does it produce sound on Linux/windows ?

Which distro did you use to check btw ? (nightly/icaros ? v0 or v1 ABI ? or are you running AROS hosted ?)

Posted on: 10/13 13:19

From Sweden
Group:
Ah, nice project! I was employed as a Delphi coder ~15 years ago, didn't do much Delphi though since I got hijacked to a Python/Web project instead but I remember trying out Freepascal and LazarusIDE on my penguin machine back home.
Documentation and tutorials is the greatest for any project. I'm thinking of buying some domains and just throw up simple blogs or whateverto document what I'm doing. (I have a bunch of ubuntu servers running anyway)

Yep, I've got a lot todo today, throw the old thinkpad/debian laptop in the trash, get ubuntu and aros source on the Fedora laptop and try to boot eeebox with ubuntu live and see if sound works at all. If it doesnt, I'll give the HP ThinClient a go.
Also - better see if I can get wifi/wired extender in basement, can't wait for ebay .. especially if those atheros cards won't work anyway..

(almost forgot.. build an integration in java for generation ERP invoice files from a MySQL-based booking system.. that is the bread & butter "todo"..)

Posted on: 10/14 0:07

From Sweden
Group:
Well, I tried booting up the eeebox with Linuxmint. According to that one it was a "Digital output device IEC958". And yes, I did hear output in my speakers so it's working, AROS just don't like it much.
Anyway, I managed to compile my first Zune program on it, so at least somethings right with the little one :)
I'll see if i find the energy to give the HP machine a go but I guess i won't have much luck with sound on that one either.

And yes, I run Icaros, straight on the eeebox!

Posted on: 10/14 7:33

Edited by elwis on 2017/10/14 11:57:40

Group:
Quote:
elwis wrote:
Ah, nice project!

Thank you. Only possible (for our platforms) due to the massive amount of work done by the FPC developers and ALB42/Chain-Q in particular.

Quote:

I was employed as a Delphi coder ~15 years ago, didn't do much Delphi though since I got hijacked to a Python/Web project instead but I remember trying out Freepascal and LazarusIDE on my penguin machine back home.

A familiar story At least you'll be able to grasp my code-snippets in case we've come to a point you need some example code

Quote:

I'm thinking of buying some domains and just throw up simple blogs or whateverto document what I'm doing. (I have a bunch of ubuntu servers running anyway)

Everything you'll be able to throw in would be nice/appreciated. For instance i did not know the link you posted earlier.

There are more people blogging and what all, but times are very slow atm (at least for AROS).

Quote:

(almost forgot.. build an integration in java for generation ERP invoice files from a MySQL-based booking system.. that is the bread & butter "todo"..)

Ah, you're doing more web-oriented development. That is very nice ! There are more web developers lurking around and/or passing by (not that strange ofc).

Posted on: 10/15 4:02

Group:
Quote:

elwis wrote:
Well, I tried booting up the eeebox with Linuxmint. According to that one it was a "Digital output device IEC958".

And yes, I did hear output in my speakers so it's working, AROS just don't like it much.

Linux has a tool to list information on pci-devices. AROS has something similar, and those ID's (vendor/product) produced by it are used on the hardware compatibility list (i linked to the wifi part earlier).

AROS has also a (zune) tool named PCITool that is capable of listing things.

If i understood correctly with audio chipsets there is a problem that our PCI tool is not capable of displaying the audio codec (and that is what is usually the problem). So you might be able to use linux to retrieve more detailed information on that.

Although, for the eeebox i am surprised. afaik there is only one chipset used, although the codec/revision could perhaps vary amongst production runs. fwiw: it works for me.

Are you able to list/share detailed information listed by pcitool for your devices that do not work (or do work for that matter).

It is appreciated if you add those to the wiki that are not already listed, but in case you dislike wiki's, then posting your details and findings here on the forums would also be highly appreciated.

It allows for others to search and learn from your experience (or sometimes one of the other lurkers add your provided info to the wiki).

Quote:

Anyway, I managed to compile my first Zune program on it, so at least somethings right with the little one :)

Ah, congratulation. That was pretty quick

Now let the games begin

Quote:

I'll see if i find the energy to give the HP machine a go but I guess i won't have much luck with sound on that one either.

Ive got my fingers crossed for you, but indeed it is a stretch. Audio is much simpler than wifi btw. at least when your hardware has room for adding another card.

Quote:

And yes, I run Icaros, straight on the eeebox!

ok, good to know, so thank you for sharing. It is also so that we are able to check for regression in Icaros (it does happen sometimes).

Posted on: 10/15 4:16

From Sweden
Group:
Hmm, I notice this is becoming my personal blog-thread.. well...
Good news: Got AROS on my hp t5740, works nice.. even sound!
Wifi.. not sop much but I didn't expect that. I'll just get 10m of TP cable and find my old switch while waiting for the ebay delivery I guess, or by that wifi/wired extender.

I use to say that I do.. what's needed. Most things nowadays are of course WEB or IOT, so.. a lot of REST services with DB backends.
I'm one of those insanely curious people that need to know something about everything. So I've coded mostly C#/Java for work but a lot of scripting and some C++ for an ancient healthcare system. That was horrible, it was Windows/MFC and we never became friends.
My personal favorite for the moment is Google Golang, I think, but maybe that will change as soon as I write my Accounting-system in C/Zune for AROS ;)

And about websites, yeah I've found a lot but as always I'm unsure which ones are up to date or not. So as soon as I get networking to at least one of my two AROS boxes I think I'll try to document some. Would be great if people would correct my faulty assumptions :)

Posted on: 10/15 4:58

Group:
Quote:

elwis wrote:
Hmm, I notice this is becoming my personal blog-thread.. well...

We're not very strict in that regards, as long long as it is somewhat remotely on topic. But, you are correct there are better sub forums suited for generic talk

Quote:

Good news: Got AROS on my hp t5740, works nice.. even sound!

Ah, that is great to hear. It is not the biggest of issues to work without sound, but it is alway nice to hear uade in action for example (if you like that old mod stuff, like me)

Doing what needs to be done: i can relate to that as my night mare started out that way as well

I started out with some development but that wasn't very pleasant for m eat first, so instead i plunged into Novell networking hype (back then).

But, as admin, you start to write your own tools and before you know it... i was writing commercial software in notime.

The fun in that was lost (a lot later) when i needed to start spending more time in understanding and protecting myself against shitty contracts then i would had to spend on developing the actual software.

I'm now a glorified system operator at a manufacturing plant.... shitty software, so AROS to the rescue there (and my 'skills' not all gone to waste)

As for languages, a bit of c, some obscure scripting and other programming languages... but my heart goes out to Pascal. No idea why, Somehow i got stuck where everyone moved away from Turbo Pascal. Used Delphi for commercial activities and rediscovered Free Pascal later on (i realized too late i already used it on Amiga ages ago).

Web development never caught on for me, and i'm not really mourning about that (especially in these days and age). I'm just an old fart that's a bit stuck to my (old'n'bad) habits

Posted on: 10/16 9:39

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.