Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

amiga, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

FTP?

From Sweden
Group:
I chose to start the built in ftpserver on my Icaros computer. If I check the Icaros settings the ftp server is "ticked".
However, I can't connect to it and my nmap portscan tells me it's closed?
Are there any useful logs or other ways to see what might happen at startup?

Posted on: 10/18 11:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: FTP?

Group:
Oi oi, ftp server on icaros... that has been a long time...

If i remember correctly the ftp server works with a white-list or a black-list (or perhaps it was even both combined). There should be a default account active though (i'll check the user manual, as that should be mentioned (*) ).

You would need to alter the configuration files to make modifications. Not sure (from memory) where those are located exactly.

I'm assuming that you don't have anything blocking on your other side of things (router, firewall etc) ?

(*) user manual talks about user anonymous with any password. In another chapter it mentioned that the server won't run if you have dhcp active. There is some logic in that as ftp server needs a static ip. If you have your aros box assigned _the same_ ip address each and every time via dhcp anyways (yes, also a smart router can be configured to do that based on mac address f.i.) then things should be able to run without too much issues.

Posted on: 10/18 12:07

From Sweden
Group:
Always great answers. I did check the manual this time, before I asked ;)
No dhcp, no firewall between, ping works, ftp client in active mode.
Maybe samba/filesharing or a pendrive is easier though :)

Posted on: 10/18 12:42

Group:
Samba can perhaps be problematic as only old samba (v1.0) is supported (correctly).

I do it the other way around, e.g. use ftp client on AROS and have linux ftp server up. Actually i have a web server running with special up/download page.

If you choose to use pen-drive, make sure it is one that you do not care much about when the file-system gets corrupted. After long use my experience is that sooner or later something goes amiss (depends a little on the pen-drive).

For instance i have a pen-drive of a certain breed that buffers literally mb's before actually writing/storing. If i pull out that pen-drive too soon then there is a high chance that things get messed up.

Other then that i have a router that allows to connect nas/pen-drive and allows for access from clients through samba/ftp/web.

Posted on: 10/18 12:51

From Sweden
Group:
Nice setup, and using aros ftp as client is probably a lot easier of course. I think my brain needs some sleep; )

Posted on: 10/18 13:09

Group:
There's really nothing difficult in using the builtin FTP server: just remember to reboot Icaros to be sure it's working, after you ticked the option in Icaros Settings and SAVED your choices (it's a service launched at startup, ticking the option won't start it and unticking it won't stop it).

On the client side, you must connect to Icaros system's IP address, username anonymous, passsword any fake email address (IIRC), active mode connection, standard port. Be sure you haven't anything blocking TCP port 21, Windows Firewall can be a good candidate to check for.

Posted on: 10/19 0:47

From Sweden
Group:
Hi and thanks. Yep, I rebooted my AROS box and checked that the FTP option was still checked in the settings. I'll do some more testing but I find it weird that nmap reported port 21 as closed on the AROS box? (I run AROS native, not hosted). Are there any nice netstat-like commands or other useful tools for checking what's happening on the machine perhaps?

Posted on: 10/19 1:25

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]